DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Light room

No, you're not getting my post.

The image data is stored RAW like it has always been in a RAW. BUT, recent cameras also include a lens correction profile in the file i.e. metadata that says "hey, the lens this was shot with has these characteristics, you might want to apply the following correction". You can then choose to use it or not in your processing software.

On a JPEG that profile is applied in-camera and modifies the image data irreversibly, in the RAW file the profile is just supplied separately for potential future use.

No, you're not getting my post.

The image data is stored RAW like it has always been in a RAW. BUT, recent cameras also include a lens correction profile in the file i.e. metadata that says "hey, the lens this was shot with has these characteristics, you might want to apply the following correction". You can then choose to use it or not in your processing software.

On a JPEG that profile is applied in-camera and modifies the image data irreversibly, in the RAW file the profile is just supplied separately for potential future use.
OK, you're referring to the data Lightroom uses to determine what corrections to make for the lens that was used. That only works with supported lenses though, hence the issue at hand which is the lack of a lens profile for the Mavic. Do you know of a way to manually pull the information from the metadata to see what the suggested corrections are?

hmm, the P4 and Mavic have very different lens and field of view. I doubt your suggestion would work.

The key word in my reply was "should". I use different profiles often when processing from my pro DSLR lenses and depending on the effect I want, I select the lens correction and go with it. Adobe is notoriously late when providing lens corrections, camera corrections, or even RAW processing engines so I am speaking from experience. If the Mavic profile is not there, he can chose the P4 and work with this, or if he has the new CC version of Lightroom, he can make manual adjustments himself. Still nothing to panic over.

OK, you're referring to the data Lightroom uses to determine what corrections to make for the lens that was used. That only works with supported lenses though, hence the issue at hand which is the lack of a lens profile for the Mavic. Do you know of a way to manually pull the information from the metadata to see what the suggested corrections are?
No. See the capture above, the profile is supplied in the RAW file like I'm trying to explain.

I qm totally new to lightroom and digital photography and you both are going back and forth and yet I compleatly understand what is being suggested .
It is being said that after I import a photo on the right hand side I can use a lens correction as every lens effects the raw image differently . Now we know there is no mavic lens correction but it is suggested I use the phantom lens correction .
This is simple to understand

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

I qm totally new to lightroom and digital photography and you both are going back and forth and yet I compleatly understand what is being suggested .
It is being said that after I import a photo on the right hand side I can use a lens correction as every lens effects the raw image differently . Now we know there is no mavic lens correction but it is suggested I use the phantom lens correction .
This is simple to understand

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

In actuality, you can use whatever profile gives you the look you desire. I shoot Nikon professional glass but occasionally when a new lens from Nikon or some other manufacturer comes onto the market, the lens profiles are not there immediately. So I simply use a profile that is similar to the look that I am trying to achieve. The sky's the limit here my friend. Pick what makes your images look the way you want. Also learn to use the Clarity function, as well as the camera calibration settings. One other feature I like is the dehaze tool. Very useful for tuning up your images.

The profile is embedded on my DNGs and I can't get the raws without it (LR CC). Anybody know of a way to not use the embedded profile?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Just select "enable profile correction" it will be applied.
look my post above.
Got it. Thanks! For me, I left "Enable Profile Correction" unchecked. If I select it, it will apply one of my other profiles. I've been using Lightroom for years and never noticed the tiny print saying "Built-in Lens Profile applied".... although, all of my lenses in the past have been supported and I used an option from the drop-down, so maybe that's why. Looking at your image, I missed the small print to the right.. Here's a more targeted screenshot in case others missed it. Appreciate your patience in helping me see it.
Lightroom Profile.JPG

The profile is embedded on my DNGs and I can't get the raws without it (LR CC). Anybody know of a way to not use the embedded profile?

Good question. It looks like it applies itself automatically. You could override it by using another profile, or click on "Manual" to adjust the vignetting to your liking (since vignetting is apparently the only change the embedded profile is making). Personally, I like using the Vignette adjustment under the "Effects" panel as opposed to this one.
Lightroom Profile 2.JPG

Got it. Thanks! For me, I left "Enable Profile Correction" unchecked. If I select it, it will apply one of my other profiles. I've been using Lightroom for years and never noticed the tiny print saying "Built-in Lens Profile applied".... although, all of my lenses in the past have been supported and I used an option from the drop-down, so maybe that's why. Looking at your image, I missed the small print to the right.. Here's a more targeted screenshot in case others missed it. Appreciate your patience in helping me see it.
View attachment 4202
Some time you have to check it first and unchecked it to have the built in lens applied... not sure why.

Simple. If you shoot in .jpg, you will get embedded profiles all the time. You need to shoot in RAW so that Lightroom can read the additional image data. Once the image is shot in RAW, you can pick the Len's profiles and camera calibration profiles.

I do shoot in raw, that's why they're DNGs, but they still have an embedded profile that I can't seem to get rid of or override.

The key word in my reply was "should". I use different profiles often when processing from my pro DSLR lenses and depending on the effect I want, I select the lens correction and go with it. Adobe is notoriously late when providing lens corrections, camera corrections, or even RAW processing engines so I am speaking from experience. If the Mavic profile is not there, he can chose the P4 and work with this, or if he has the new CC version of Lightroom, he can make manual adjustments himself. Still nothing to panic over.

Each to their own I guess. If you want to use a non matching profile to add an effect then I guess you could, but my original mention of a lens profile was to correct distortion not add a distortion.

The idea that a profile is included in the DNG file is interesting though.

Each to their own I guess. If you want to use a non matching profile to add an effect then I guess you could, but my original mention of a lens profile was to correct distortion not add a distortion.

The idea that a profile is included in the DNG file is interesting though.
YES indeed. Interesting thread thanks. I had not noticed that it was built in and hand been wondering why it was missing from the list.
A Google search took me to this lightroomforums thread where people have speculated as to why some other (sony) cameras have them. Seemingly it is appropriate for non interchangeable lens such as this. It is dead easy to override in the manual tab in any case.

Hey guys I had a question related to the "embedded profile" of the DNG files that come off the mavic... so I understand Lightroom has a profile for lens correction... but under camera profile which does the actually color rendering, right? The profile just says embedded, and gives no other profiles to choose from? Other cameras have others to choose from correct? And when I look at adobes website it does not show the mavic as a supported camera? They have iPhones and many others... but shows that the mavic is supported Under lens correction, but not under raw processing portion is this because the file comes out of the mavic as a straight DNG? And with DNG files everything is embedded within the file? So the color rendering is atoumatically applied? And this is why you will never see the mavic supported under raw camera profiles? So are all camera made DNGs just one profile, the one that is embedded? Then if this is true, are there times DNG files will also have multiple profiles to choose from under camera profiles?

Started reaching this as the DNG colors were significantly off compared to the JPEGs! I understand the processing between the two are different as far as jpeg vs Raws are concerned... but in some photos i of some flowers with jpeg+raw, the jpegs had purple flowers and the raws had blue!!
Also I saw I think it was in the last update it said something above improved DNG color! So hopefully this might be a fix!
Thanks
Just trying to understand all this... I'm I on the right tack?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf