DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Line of sight

does within line of site mean a tiny black speck just visible in the far distance or does it mean see it well enough to be able to control it..

there is quite a difference between the two..

trog
Common sense should dictate that one. You should be able to determine orientation so you are able to avoid any dangers/potential collisions.
If your aircraft is a tiny spec in the sky and you look down at your screen/remote it is highly unlikely (or very difficult) to reaquire visual contact with it.
If your aircraft is a 'pin prick' on the horizon and you DO manage to spot it again you should be well practiced in regaining orientation and if you are not experienced in doing that, at those distances you will be unable to decern whether the aircraft is heading towards you or moving away from you.
The reason for these rules is so that in the event of a loss of visual link/telemetry (Which does happen) you must be able to visually fly the aircraft safely based on observation only.

Reactions: mikeroycollins
I wonder if the mavic will be easy to see because it's a darker color?? It is smaller though... we will have to see

It's is easier too see but also harder to see. Depends on the environment

Common sense should dictate that one. You should be able to determine orientation so you are able to avoid any dangers/potential collisions.
If your aircraft is a tiny spec in the sky and you look down at your screen/remote it is highly unlikely (or very difficult) to reaquire visual contact with it.
If your aircraft is a 'pin prick' on the horizon and you DO manage to spot it again you should be well practiced in regaining orientation and if you are not experienced in doing that, at those distances you will be unable to decern whether the aircraft is heading towards you or moving away from you.
The reason for these rules is so that in the event of a loss of visual link/telemetry (Which does happen) you must be able to visually fly the aircraft safely based on observation only.

i was more interested in the legal definition than my own or someone elses idea of common sense.. having flown a much larger fixed wing fpv aircraft i know how difficult it is to find the aircraft once you take your eyes off it.. i would image that unless the small mavic drone was pretty close it would be impossible..

i think the law requires that people keep their mavic pretty close.. which in some way defeats the point of all the fancy automatics.. i will use my own idea of common sense.. he he..

trog

Reactions: Richard in Ky
i was more interested in the legal definition than my own or someone elses idea of common sense.. having flown a much larger fixed wing fpv aircraft i know how difficult it is to find the aircraft once you take your eyes off it.. i would image that unless the small mavic drone was pretty close it would be impossible..

i think the law requires that people keep their mavic pretty close.. which in some way defeats the point of all the fancy automatics.. i will use my own idea of common sense.. he he..

trog
I think we are reaching a point of no return regarding drones, with Sweden recently banning them and more countries discussing a similar route WE either start behaving or lose the sky's...

So all drone fliers are responsible...

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: mikeroycollins
It's funny - although the mavic is smaller than the Phantoms it seems like I can see it better in the air. Against clear blue sky I can see it (knowing where to look) easily at 3000' and lost sight of it around 3300'. I think my best with a Phantom was around 2500' (although my son with perfect vision saw it to 3500'). That's in good conditions knowing exactly where to look.

It's funny - although the mavic is smaller than the Phantoms it seems like I can see it better in the air. Against clear blue sky I can see it (knowing where to look) easily at 3000' and lost sight of it around 3300'. I think my best with a Phantom was around 2500' (although my son with perfect vision saw it to 3500'). That's in good conditions knowing exactly where to look.

knowing exactly where to look only apples when you never take your eyes off the aircraft.. perfectly applicable before the days of fpv and instrument flying.. not so much so now.. i only know flying fixed wing camera planes.. multi rotors are new to me but once you take your eyes off a moving aircraft and its a fair distance away its impossible to relocate it..

i am inclined to think the establishment dosnt like drones in the hands of joe public.. the future dosnt look promising for them.. flying selfie cams like the mavic will not help in this respect..

trog

The EASA new rulings will end up being adopted by the CAA and we'll all have an expensive 'selfie' drone the way its going. Personally I've put my PCFO on hold as I'm due to emigrate to Canada, but I'll watch from far when they start implementing the new laws and confiscating Mavics from all the idiots. Whole drone world is becoming an unfriendly place. :(

The EASA new rulings will end up being adopted by the CAA and we'll all have an expensive 'selfie' drone the way its going. Personally I've put my PCFO on hold as I'm due to emigrate to Canada, but I'll watch from far when they start implementing the new laws and confiscating Mavics from all the idiots. Whole drone world is becoming an unfriendly place. :(
Oh yes - it doesn't help when we get 'Distance Leaderboards' and "I went 8 miles one way with my Mavic the other day and landed with 1% battery" type threads and posts.
I don't care since I am already CAA certified and hold PfCO and have done for a while. It won't be me they are coming after and it won't be me who will be regulated out of existence - I am just so sad to see (as usual) a stupid ignorant few ruin it for the many.
That's the way of the world now I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: kmaluo
"I am just so sad to see (as usual) a stupid ignorant few ruin it for the many"

they will always be there.. but i think its the fact that officialdom dosnt like drone technology to be readily available off the shelf to anyone that chooses to buy it..

there used to be a joke that may have some truth in it.. when henry ford invented the rear view mirror the cops objected on the grounds that the bad guys would be able to see the cop car sneaking up behind them.. :)

drone users are not a large enough group to pull any political weight so the overly restrictive cop mentality will win the day..

trog

The answer has to be electronic identifiers and registration, may be even a tax to pay for the policing....

In Canada, it means you can still see the little black spec in the sky or against the background and it corresponds to your controller map. Once you lose the "black spec" or can't tell if it's a seagull or your Mavic. .you need to move or come back until you can positively ID it again.

Does anyone have some numbers about how far you can see a MavicPro (naked eye or corrected with prescription glasses)? For me with the Phantom 4 it's about 1300-1500feet under good lighting and my eyes are 20/20 uncorrected.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters