DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Line of sight

These are of course "guidelines".... which I think adds to the confusion.... guidelines vs actual laws on the books...
Yes, most of those are guidelines. Some are laws though -- as seen here.

Reactions: socalvn
From FAA site

Safety Guidelines
Individuals flying for hobby or recreation are strongly encouraged to follow safety guidelines, which include:

• Fly at or below 400 feet and stay away from surrounding obstacles
  • Keep your UAS within sight
  • Never fly near other aircraft, especially near airports
  • Never fly over groups of people
  • Never fly over stadiums or sports events
  • Never fly near emergency response efforts such as fires
  • Never fly under the influence of drugs or alcohol
  • Understand airspace restrictions and requirements

In Australia you must keep the drone in sight. As it is a small drone anyone got any ideas how to see it in the distance? Thought maybe fluro colours or even a reflective prism mounted somewhere. As i fly a phantom standard at the moment it isn't a problem as it can't fly out of sight.

I was thinking a smoke generator so it would leave a contrail :)

As you rightly say, our rules here Australia require that an RPA such as the Mavic...

"...is operated in visual line of sight (VLOS) only - close enough to see, maintain orientation and achieve accurate flight and tracking."

So this leads me to wonder several things:

What happens if a drone malfunctions, flies off into the never never and stacks into something. Did I operate it beyond VLOS or did I cease operating it when it malfunctioned?

Along the lines of "Rules are for the guidance of wise Men and the blind obedience of fools" - Will I steadfastly observe this rule when operating at 30' AGL on my own private property, checking my cattle and sheep? If it had a spontaneous power failure it might fall 30' onto one of my sheep. Who would ever know. I wouldn't' because it was beyond VLOS and CASA would never know.

To me the big ticket items are:
...no higher than 120 m (400 feet) above ground level, & <-- air traffic / safety
..no closer than 30 m from people not associated with the flight <-- safety - privacy
.. not over over a populous areas <-- safety - privacy
These rules all make good sense and are arguably even possible to police.

However the VLOS rule - Specifically when applied to operation over ones own private property strikes me as a bit onerous and pointless given the FPV and autonomous capabilities of these modern drones. Practically speaking it is un-enforceable as well.

The things you wonder about at 3am in the morning when you cannot sleep!

I did quote from 107, however for hobbyists as well - again from the FAA website, and you all acknowledged this when you registered with the FAA.

These are of course "guidelines".... which I think adds to the confusion.... guidelines vs actual laws on the books...

FAA Acknowledgments of Safety Guidance (Check All) *
I will fly below 400 feet
I will fly within visual line of sight
I will be aware of FAA airspace requirements: www.faa.gov/go/uastfr
I will not fly directly over people
I will not fly over stadiums and sports events
I will not fly near emergency response efforts such as fires
I will not fly near aircraft, especially near airports
I will not fly under the influence

Drone Registration Form
If you are in the US, an AMA member & hobby flying, some of those 'guidelines' don't apply such as the 400' ceiling and restrictions on night flights for example.
Glad they made this all clear as mud. :confused:

Reactions: lifeismusic
Where are links to laws saying you can't fly at night?

From CASA's website.

You should only fly in visual line-of-sight, in day visual meteorological conditions (VMC). What does that mean?
  • No night flying (generally).
  • No flying in or through cloud or fog, and you should.
  • Be able to see the aircraft with your own eyes (rather than through first-person-view [FPV, binoculars, telescopes]) at all times, (unless you operate under the procedures of an approved model flying association.

For those flying in Australia: Flying drones or model aircraft recreationally | Civil Aviation Safety Authority

I am curious what "generally" means here...

....I am curious what "generally" means here...

That simply means it was created by CASA and is a can of worms like everything else they do ;-) For every rule they make there is an obscure exception or sub clause somewhere.

As far as the Visual Line Of Sight (VLOS) rules, it seems that if if you mount three strobes, White , Red and Green you could significantly extend your flying distance. I've ordered one of each color and plan on experimenting as soon as I receive them.

Reactions: lifeismusic
I don't know if "VLOS with the lights" is even a thing. Then again, I've never seen the FAA say it wasn't acceptable. There are no street lights where I live, so just seeing the lights flashing wouldn't be the same as flying during the day. I'd definitely hit a tree since they are not lit up. However, I guess it would be different story if you're flying in a wide open field.

In the U.S., if you're flying as a hobbyist under the AMA's safety guidelines you can fly at night as long as you have directional lighting that you keep in your line of sight.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: voxelman
In the U.S., if you're flying as a hobbyist under the AMA's safety guidelines you can fly at night as long as you have directional lighting that you keep in your line of sight.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots
I became an AMA member yesterday after reading your post. I may eventually seek a Remote Pilot Certificate as there are some potential applications in my work. I also found that reading about the
National Airspace System was informative including a basic understanding of Sectional Maps. The town where I live lies wholly inside the 5-mile radius of the local municipal airport. However, from reading the section chart it appears that as long as I observe the 400 ft ceiling outside of a 3-mile radius of the airport I'm good to go and possibly closer than that. I also intend to meet with the airport manager to confirm my understanding.

Reactions: Butterpuff 6
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato