DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Litchi and Autopilot bummer limitation.

MavicKhan

Reactions
I bought both apps strictly for Waypoint flying as DJI implementation of this particular mode sucks (...Having to fly a waypoint mission to create a waypoint mission?...Really...?...)

I already have a good mastering of Litchi while just starting with Autopilot, which is a bit more complex but also more powerful.

There's something that both developers did not think through. The negative altitude limitations.

Litchi does not allow entering values below -200 meters and AP is even more limited with -60 being the lower limit.

This is a bit short sighted as there instances where one needs to be on very high ground (...and it should be obvious that, in any given area, the higher ground is the one more likely to provide LOS communications throughout the whole mission...) and those limits might be inadequate to plan a mission.

I'll be in S. Miguel, Azores next week and was trying to plan a mission where I would be at the top of a very old, extinct volcano crater that is home to two beautiful twin lakes and a village at the bottom and the altitude difference between the rim and the lake down below is about 300 meters.

I was creating the waypoints along the inner slope of the crater with Litchi when I stumbled upon the -200 limit approaching the bottom.

The curious thing is that, with Litchi, if I import a KML file with a path featuring a constant height referenced to ground of a specific value, say, 20 meters, the file opens with the correct values, over -200 but, once the need arises to fine tune the altitude at one of those points, as we start typing the corrected height, the window immediately defaults to that maximum negative value of 200.

I can also think of another place where I've been (...Preikestolen, Norway...) where I would have loved to use a Mavic if I had one at the time and that would have suffered from the same problem, planning a mission on both apps, if the intent was to start at the rock ledge and fly down to the fjord water surface.

Bummer....

MK

Yeah that's a bummer.

Another thing I've noticed intermittently, but am not sure about, is that sometimes when I've planned missions below takeoff altitude the gimbal tilts it calculates for POIs look plainly wrong like being below takeoff elevation is confusing it, I haven't actually flown any of those yet but it was apparent to me during planning in the mission hub, you seen that too?

Are you talking about Litchi?

If you are, be sure to treat the Focus Points (POI) as waypoints in what relates to the height you want to be considered at that point. If you leave the default height (incorrectly referred in-app as "Altitude") the gimbal might not be pointing to where you actually want it to.

For instance, if the point opens with 1 meters dialed in but the complementary info says that the point is -30 meters below the start point, depending on the distance between the Mavic and the point, the gimbal might actually be pointed at the something much higher than the target.

MK

Ah I get it, so the POI "altitudes" need to be corrected to be negative, since they are also referenced to the takeoff elevation. I'll try that next time.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929