DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Litchi or GO 4

I was wondering the same thing.
I did some research on the above link and most of the topics seem outdated as Litchi and GO have improved over the years.
Perhaps it would be worthwhile to start a new discussion for the same already discussed topic in order to get an updated response from the experience people.

I was wondering the same thing.
I did some research on the above link and most of the topics seem outdated as Litchi and GO have improved over the years.
Perhaps it would be worthwhile to start a new discussion for the same already discussed topic in order to get an updated response from the experience people.
You could just adjust that search to only show you results from the last month.

litchi vs dji go - Google Search

Reactions: PalmettoAerial
Hi All;

Up to the point I need to go to the next step - am told that Litchi offers several advantages over Go 4 as well as VR glass support. Would someone weigh in here please and tell me I should go ahead and spend the time and $$ on VR glasses and Litchi? Not that the $100 is an issue, just trying to find best use and most enjoyment - not just more toys etc. Sure would appreciate any guidance here....

So I'll chime in what I think the main advantages Litchi has over DJI Go 4. But keep in mind, that it's not a 100% use this only. For a lot of things, I still use DJI GO 4 (especially since the last release where they fixed what I asked for). So here's a list of things Litchi does that DJI GO 4 can't currently:

1) Mission Hub. Website that allows you to preprogram your flights. Now keep in mind that you need to learn how to use this correctly to prevent you drone from going beyond it's limits.
2) Better waypoint missions. Goes with first point, but I can create and modify waypoint missions better on Litchi. I also have more options for turning and point of interest as well.
3) Panoramic shots. Litchi has a great panaromic mode. Just tell it how many pictures you want and it does the rest. Makes it easy to get 360 panoramic.
4) Virtual Reality mode. While there are tons of apps for DJI drones that have VR, the fact that it's added with all the other great features are great. It has several modes to allow the user to move the camera by vertical head movement. You can also control left and right by moving your head in another mode.
5) Screen recording. Litchi has a screen recording capability that makes it easy if your making videos for youtube or just to keep. You can turn it on and it'll record your screen. To do this on DJI Go 4 app I would have to set up an air server and have my Mac with me to record it...just a hassle.

Now like I mentioned before, I still use DJI GO 4 app. Mostly for the following:

1) Active track modes. While Litchi can do active track, it's really not as good as DJI GO 4 app, and doesn't have as many submodes.
2) Flight records. I like that after a flight I can go look at footage cached on the phone and see a map and replay the mission. I've used this several times when I was trying to figure out why the drone did something I didn't tell it to.
3) Sports mode. I feel more comftable using sports mode with the DJI GO 4 app, not for any particular reason. Although it should be noted that with Litchi if you are in a automated mode and you need to take control - go sports mode and you'll have full control.

Spiderpigs review is seemingly for IOS.
Keep in mind that the Litchi is also available for Android and the feature sets differ slightly. So when you see a review try and ascertain if it is for the Operating System you are using.

Android Litchi does not have Spiderpigs "5) Screen recording". However if you have a decent Android phone like a S7 it is fairly simple to record either Litchi or DJIGo4 from out side the app using a phones built in utilities. So this is no big deal.

Android Litchi has multiple configurations for the C1 & C2 buttons depending on the flight mode you are in whereas IOS does not.

No doubt other differences too.

The Litchi panorama mode is indeed good, but it only captures the images. Post processing is all done outside of Litchi and can be frustrating and tedious. Especially when compared with the total simplicity, end to end approach of to upcoming apps like Hangar360. Press a button drone takes off captures Pano, Lands sends images to server and within a few minutes you have a link to a fully stitched 360 online. So while I use the Litchi Pano mode, I would not recommend buying Litchi for Pano's unless you are happy to deal with the post processing. If you want simplicity and a decent result wait for Hangar360.

The DJIGo4 flight records are good but I find Healthy-drones logs to me more useful and they encompass flights from both apps.

I have Litchi on both platforms. I use it frequently for Waypoint flying and occasionally for Panos. I use DJIGo4 for all else and prefer it for manual flying. DJIGo4 caching and capturing of the video stream is indeed a killer feature and so simple to use on Android. Shame Litchi does not do this too.

Reactions: Snow Bird 1
Well well! Spiderpig, you aced it man! Great review, just what I was looking for - some pro's and con's if there are any, to help me decide if the additional time/$$ would be worth it. Now I can easily show the Minister of War & Finance (and Social Secretary) that the initial inclinations are correct! Yes, I can see the advantages, particularly since I am looking for a solution to the bright sunlight and small screen issue (Samsung S5) in the Arizona desert!!!

I will have Litchi and some VR glasses early next week!

Thanks Spiderpig, and Glen for re-enforcing ...

@Logger makes some good points, I should have specified I'm using iOS. Also the C1 and C2 customization is very good as well since it does both a short and long press, so essentially giving four options.

Ok lets do some pros and cons

Litch:
Pros: Superior mission planning and waypoint execution, panoramic, VR, screen recording, customizable C1 and C2 buttons, and also auto syncs with healthy drones.
Cons: Lack of good active track features, C1 and C2 options are missing one and possibly more options that are in DJI GO app (like center metering), Can be misused by user and program the drone to go beyond it safety limits.

DJI Go 4 App:
Pros: Active track and submenus, gesture mode, latest options for drones (like inspire 2), and overall more stable
Cons: Lack of advanced automation features like panoramic and highly advanced waypoints. Also no direct sync option for Healthy Drones (although you can get another app to do it)

A good note on healthy drones is that it keeps great records of you flights if you sync to it. I use it to analyze my flight and also export the data in case I want to overlay the information on my videos.

@Logger You are one of the more experienced flyers here so no disrespect intended, but let's not compare DJI and Litchi vs. something that has not yet released (Hanger360). Remember, DJI promised us a drone when it didn't ship! (grin).

All products are going to get better in the future. I hope that they all (including Hanger360) keep pushing the technology forward.

All I know is that the Mavic Pro i bought at the end of 2016 is going to be outdated by the end of 2017 :)

@Logger

Can be misused by user and program the drone to go beyond it safety limits.

How so? I had the same concern w the new DJI GS Pro...namely, will it allow me to program a waypoint mission that it can't possibly complete and then fall out of the sky? I chatted w DJI support and they said GSP would not allow the drone to fall from the sky on a suicide mission, but would RTH when it calculates it must. He didn't say it with much conviction however and I wouldn't bet on it. Does the answer change if the waypoint mission takes the MP out of controller range? Where does the logic reside that would send it home during this hypothetical waypoint mission? The MP or the app?

The GSP manual says this on pg 10: "when the battery level is lower than the level pre set the aircraft will RTH". I can't find where you can set any battery levels in GSP.

I take it from your comment that Litchi will let you execute a waypoint mission of no return.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

@Logger You are one of the more experienced flyers here so no disrespect intended, but let's not compare DJI and Litchi vs. something that has not yet released (Hanger360). ..
No offense taken. Released or Not, I just know from using Hangar360, that it is excellent. I used it to make this Pano earlier today. It is a paradigm shift from the Litchi process.
Hangar 360 Photo

Hi All;

Up to the point I need to go to the next step - am told that Litchi offers several advantages over Go 4 as well as VR glass support. Would someone weigh in here please and tell me I should go ahead and spend the time and $$ on VR glasses and Litchi? Not that the $100 is an issue, just trying to find best use and most enjoyment - not just more toys etc. Sure would appreciate any guidance here....
Just curious why $100? Plenty of VR goggles for $15 or $20 bucks.

Awesome everybody. So many good points - and a few cons too, so all good. I use Android, so will have to watch for any shortcomings. Also have to investigate Healthy Drones too! Re: Litchi and suicide missions - you might be able to program one, but MP signal/battery level RTH would kick in, right??

I am only in my 10th or 12th hour of piloting the MP, so the learning continues!!

Re: $100 - there are a number of lower cost classes for sure - First, I wear glasses (no contacts) so the across-the-top head strap is as important (weight on nose bridge) as space for the second set of eyes and ventilation. I looked at fit and material of eye pads, plug access to both ends of the phone for ear piece and data access and ended up with a selection of $40 - $60 glasses. I did read many (MANY) reviews of at least 20 sets, (starting with the negative reviews re; weight and support). I added the cost of Litchi and roughed it out to $100. Sorry I was not more specific.

Thanks again everyone!!!!

I have used litchi on Android from the 2nd day I had the Mavic and have been very pleased . It is well worth the $$ IMO . I have the $100 VR One glasses and I have yet to find a cheaper pair that the image looks as good or that is as comfortable . With that being said , I hardly use them while flying the Mavic as the only time I really enjoy FPV is while flying something like my Vortex racing drone flat out while low to the ground . The Mavic gets boring really quick just looking around .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580