DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Litchi Question

tpop24

Reactions
I recently planned a WayPoint mission along a specific road route. I set the direction of the MP at each WP set directly towards the next WP. I wanted it to look directly forward so that I could focus on the route but instead the MP would start changing direction about halfway to the next waypoint. This had the MP flying sideways half of the route therefore negating the obstacle avoidance. Does anyone know how to keep the MP facing forward on Litchi WP missions? My last mission could have really used the OA.

Below is the mission
b14610c5be4540e687b21dd6b780d6ad.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using MavicPilots mobile app

Were you at full speed? I wonder if you decreased the speed perhaps Litchi would delay the early turn-in? The issues popped up at waypoints 3, 9, 10, 12, and 15 only....right?

I want to film a parade route and want it to always face the direction of travel? Will a pause at WP help? The MP is in the shop, can't try it.

I went back and double checked and I had poi of None and manually set direction of each WP to face the next WP. I had it set to straight lines with no actions at WP.

Check your mission settings. I suspect you have something other than Custom(IOS)/\WPT defined(andoid) set in there. So even though you had entered WPT defined headings and they are displayed on the plan it will not fly them because you have overridden them in Mission settings.

Last edited:
Check your mission settings. I suspect you have something other than Custom\WPT defined(andoid) set in there. So even though you had entered WPT defined headings and they are displayed on the plan it will not fly them because you have overridden them in Mission settings.

Forgot about the mission setting.
I think the "Auto" heading in the mission setting will do what OP wants.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Auto heading isn't an option in my settings. I planned the mission on a laptop which oddly has fewer options than android or ios. I have 4 options on android. My settings for the mission loaded on android were WP defined.

Auto heading isn't an option in my settings..
Auto is not the one you wanted in any case, because you built manual headings. To have it point at the manually set headings that you entered, you need to use the last of the four options. "Custom"(ios)/"Waypoint Defined" (android) just as you shown in your screen shot. I suspect you may not have had it on this option when you flew your fatal mission even though it is set there now.

202903005f389c5561d2f8269cf2cef0.jpg

Auto is the towards next waypoint option, just as fff said. You can see how this kills your custom heading simply by Setting it to on temporarily. Then flip across to a WPT and you will see in Android the Heading Rose selector has been removed and in IOS the Heading selector is Locked.

Litchis different nomenclature between IOS and Android does not help:
IOS vs Android
Auto = Toward next waypoint
Initial = Initial direction
Manual = User controlled
Custom = Waypoint Defined

The Andoid app (being more recent) seems like they have tried to make them easier to understand.

If you want to keep the heading throughout the span between two waypoints, and only rotate at the corner, then you may need another waypoint.

In this mission, the aircraft may yaw throughout the eastward leg of the route. There might be settings to override it, but if you don't get the settings right you will get unexpected results.

0BwOfx7.jpg

In this mission, the extra inserted waypoint means that the aircraft must maintain heading throughout the eastward leg of the route. You can set this up faster and be more confident it will do as you intend in the first place.

CDGUg2P.jpg

Auto is not the one you wanted in any case, because you built manual headings. To have it point at the manually set headings that you entered, you need to use the last of the four options. "Custom"(ios)/"Waypoint Defined" (android) just as you shown in your screen shot. I suspect you may not have had it on this option when you flew your fatal mission even though it is set there now.

202903005f389c5561d2f8269cf2cef0.jpg

Auto is the towards next waypoint option, just as fff said. You can see how this kills your custom heading simply by Setting it to on temporarily. Then flip across to a WPT and you will see in Android the Heading Rose selector has been removed and in IOS the Heading selector is Locked.

Litchis different nomenclature between IOS and Android does not help:
IOS vs Android
Auto = Toward next waypoint
Initial = Initial direction
Manual = User controlled
Custom = Waypoint Defined

The Andoid app (being more recent) seems like they have tried to make them easier to understand.
I thought the OP wants the MP to look directly forward to the next WP. So no need to individually set heading. Just set the heading to "Auto" or "Toward Next waypoint" in the mission setting

If you want to keep the heading throughout the span between two waypoints, and only rotate at the corner, then you may need another waypoint.

In this mission, the aircraft may yaw throughout the eastward leg of the route. There might be settings to override it, but if you don't get the settings right you will get unexpected results.

0BwOfx7.jpg

In this mission, the extra inserted waypoint means that the aircraft must maintain heading throughout the eastward leg of the route. You can set this up faster and be more confident it will do as you intend in the first place.

CDGUg2P.jpg
Simply change the Path Mode to "Stright Lines" instead of "Curved Turns" should fix the problem.

I had it set to straight lines. The route options were not available when I originally plotted the mission on my laptop, that is the reason I adjusted the direction manually for each WP. The screen shot is how the mission appeared on Android with no alterations. I thought it would work. I'll have to experiment more.

Yeah it should work. I use it all the time. 13 min, 6 mile route with 35 WPT around my farm, curved turns, camera follows the route beautifully using Auto = Toward next waypoint. I have succesfully used Custom = Waypoint Defined on other routes when I want a specific heading at WPTs..

Experiment some more on a mini mission in a small area like a park. Then you can troubleshoot it right away and get your settings right. ie fly same route with different mission heading settings, to learn how it behaves.
On your Laptop Mission Hub - Litchi is probably best for laying down your route and adding POIs. Then tidy it up in your mobile device as like you said, it is missing the Mission specific settings. I find that my iPad with its generous screen size is a great tool for route building even though I actually fly with Android phone.

Last edited:
Thanks, some good advice. I will stick to much smaller experiments for now. I didn't even know about the extra settings on the aps till after the crash. Was exclusively building on laptop.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biggej