DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Litchi - Speed Between Two Waypoints at Different Elevations

DownandLocked

Reactions
I want to use Litchi to program a waypoint mission starting near ground elevation and climbing to a waypoint a few meters away at a much higher elevation. I want the camera to follow a point of interest house in front of the waypoint so it pans vertically downward as it rises to the higher waypoint.

My question is this. What speed is used between the two waypoints? Is it only the horizontal speed or does the speed include the climbing component of the flight. If I have two waypoints only a few meters away but with a 100 meter difference in height, will Litchi fly the route at the cruise speed horizontally or will it include the vertical component of the speed?

Sounds like something for you to test, and report back!

My guess is that it will fly way slower than you want, either way. The speed between waypoints seems to always be less than target speed, even without vertical components.

Sounds like something for you to test, and report back!

My guess is that it will fly way slower than you want, either way. The speed between waypoints seems to always be less than target speed, even without vertical components.
I do want to test it but I thought someone might know the answer. I am assuming that the speed shown on the DJI go app is horizontal only but it is possible that since the speed is determined by GPS, it may include the vertical component also.

The reason I'm asking is that if the waypoint speed is based only on the horizontal component and not the vertical, if I have a waypoint that is only 1 meter away and I'm asking it to climb 100 meters to the next waypoint, the actual speed including horizontal and vertical could be very high even if flying 5 kph horizontally between waypoints.

Sure. You explained the question fine in the first post.

What I've observed from Litchi is that the target speed for the mission seems to be more of a max air speed limit than a "speed between points". I say this because I've actually had the MP fly backwards at times when the breeze exceeded the target speed. I also had an experience where the breeze blew the MP way off course. It took a several flights for me to realize that I needed to set my target speeds much higher.

If I had to guess, I would say that the target speed in the mission is really just a target pitch angle.

I just watched a video the other day where you should be able to (in MISSION SETTINGS) set the cruise speed for the mission and then set the max speed to something faster than the cruise speed and if you use the right stick it should speed up the Mavic.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98