DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Live feed blacks out - Possible cause?

kvn_roberts

Reactions
I have had two separate times now where the picture feed to my iPhone has unexpectedly blacked out. The first event occurred shortly after take off, the Mavic was maybe 50-100 feet away from me, height was around 30-50 feet, satellites were around 15-17, was in normal mode. I was watching the Mavic and when I looked down at my phone the feed was blacked out and I had no picture feed from the aircraft. It didn't appear the remote controller had disconnected or that I had lost a gps lock, RTH was set and did not initiate, the remote still was in GPS mode so I flew it over and shut down controller and aircraft. Started back up and had no issues.

Second event was in Sport mode, satellites were around 16-18, distance about 300-400 feet and height maybe 100 feet. This time when it blacked out I took a longer look at the screen and noticed all of the settings and information it gives me was blanked out. The only thing that was working was the map. After flying back to my location and messing with the settings and waiting for anything to change I did notice the satellite count came back up but that was about it. If it happens again I will try to get a picture or screenshot to post along here as well.

Just wanted to know if this is a known issue for anyone. The only thing I could think of is my connection from remote to phone might not have been fully connected. I always confirm that it is connected properly before taking off. Any advice would be appreciated.

Try flying with your phone in aeroplane mode

I usually do fly in airplane mode but sometimes I forget. I can't confirm for sure if it was in airplane mode but I will be sure to note that for the future if it does happen again.

I just posted this reply on another question:
So, I've encountered the same problem using DJI Go 4 and my iPhone 7 Plus. Initially, I had no problems whatsoever. . Then, for reasons unknown, I would repeatedly get the gray screen, then the video "pause" and fade and then the dreaded f'ing "Disconnect". I cannot say for certain that it was a result of the latest update. I did have the iPhone 7 Plus pushed right up against the bottom of the remote and plugged into the side of the RC. I've deduced it to two possible reasons.
1. Like any imitation iPhone lightning cord that you get on the cheap - they stop working and/or have connection problems. My wife's generic cord has to be turned and twisted just right to charge her 7 Plus.
2. Apparently when you push the iPhone 7 Plus flush up against the bottom of the RC, plugged into the side, there is some sort of interference. (At least that's what I've gathered from this forum)
Solution: I position my iPhone 7 Plus further down in the grips of the RC and plug the OEM Lightning cord into the bottom USB. The plug is actually flush against the bottom of the RC grip which leaves enough space between the top of the phone and the bottom of the remote to reduce any interference that may exist. Been doing it this way without issue. A little tedious with the extra cord hanging down though. I keep the iPad handy in case I have to quickly patch it in if there is the dreaded f'ing "disconnect" with my iPhone 7 Plus for my own sanity.
It has reduced my flying anxiety and restored my confidence.
Hope this helps!

Reactions: Shaggy505
So...I've had something similar happening to me.
Took delivery of my MP about a week ago, so only have a few short flights under my belt so far..
I use a Huawei ascend mate 7 which I purchased solely for the purpose of using it with the MP. I don't even have a sim card in it. Running dji go 4
Had the video go grey on me, but still kept full control. Then the disconnected warning flashed up a few times.
This has happened maybe 5 times now. Each time it reconnected and all ended safely in 4 different locations.
I'm considering trying my Samsung tablet next time out...never had any issues with my old p3a.
The huawei is on the list of known compatible devices to use, I got it as it's so big.
All firmware and software is up to date, not calibrated the compass yet though as it hasn't asked me to. Don't see how this could affect my problem though.
I've only flown max 80m up and 100m away from me to date.
Any ideas?

Bought my mavic yesterday. Using latest app dji go 4, updated to latest software via my mac and mini USB cable, iPhone 7 plus and in my four or five flights every time I loose the video feed and have to close the app and restart. This lasts until it disconnects again. Doesn't seem to matter how far or high the drone is. Super frustrating considering a day old. Tomorrow going to try connecting via USB port on bottom of controller and see if that helps as domination suggested....

You may want to change out your cable that connects the controller to the phone. Once i swapped mine out, no issues :)

Thanks! That's the plan tomorrow is to use one of my iPhone cables via USB connection and disconnect the micro to lightning. Has this worked consistently for you where you can say it doesn't happen anymore?

Reactions: joefilmmaker
Try using the USB port on the bottom of the transmitter vs. the small cable on the left side. I had so many disconnects because of that. Now I have a rock solid connection.

Anyone know where I might get antenna coaxel cable? I've tried frys electronics, best buy, all the radio controlled hobby shops and nada. (How can you have a hobby shop for remote controlled vehicals and not sell antenna wire/cable). I've been posting in classifieds 2 days now still no luck. Or a left leg assembly, if anyone knows anything please respond. thank you

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo