DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Long island

I find it extremely hard to find anywhere to safely fly my drone hassle free on Long Island. Cant do any state parks, can't do county parks, can't do beaches. Right now i am limited to my back yard and even there, i feel un-easy. BTW, I am in East Northport with a Mavic. Someone tell me where I can fly...... Lets meet up.

I find it extremely hard to find anywhere to safely fly my drone hassle free on Long Island. Cant do any state parks, can't do county parks, can't do beaches. Right now i am limited to my back yard and even there, i feel un-easy. BTW, I am in East Northport with a Mavic. Someone tell me where I can fly...... Lets meet up.

Why can't you do beaches when they aren't crowded?

I'm out here now visiting family that's why I ask - just wondering. Am planning on flying at a beach tomorrow that isn't crowded (20 people scattered across 1 mile of oceanfront usually) and it's not private or a beach club or anything and I was just wondering.

Hey guys, there is this cool Instagram account you should check out – @long_island_drones

They post and feature a bunch of drone photos and videos from the Island.

Reactions: Timmy1189
Anyone know if Eisenhower park/wantaugh park are no fly zones

I fly in Eisenhower all the time. Just be mindful of the people and you should have no problems.

Also, be careful and pay attention to the Helicopters that land and lift off from NUMC. They leave the hospital at well under 500 feet sometimes.

Reactions: Timmy1189
People are paranoid when word drone is pronounced. All they allow to enter their thick and empty skulls is: drones are deadly dangerous, lethal, they kill innocent civilians...
My TREX450 have GoPro mounted and take same kind or even more detailed pictures as "deadly" drones, will fly much faster than Mavic and do more harm if not properly operated. Yet, nobody will give a #2 if, God Forbid, I will fly over crowded park or beach. If I try it with Mavic ...
big-machine-gun.gif
which I release and catch relatively safe from hand. Did it so many times and have all fingers intact... I will never try that with my 450 :D

I've flown in several parks/beaches on the Island and overall the reaction I got was positive. People were more curious than annoyed. I've had several people (from all age ranges) come up to me and ask about it. As long as you're not deliberately bothering anyone, you should be fine.

I've flown in several parks/beaches on the Island and overall the reaction I got was positive. People were more curious than annoyed. I've had several people (from all age ranges) come up to me and ask about it. As long as you're not deliberately bothering anyone, you should be fine.

I totally agree. Not to bother anyone. If I do, it is not negotiable, just have to stop. However, I do expect same tolerance from opposite side. If kids are making excessive noise at the park (have two kids myself), music is played loudly on parking lot, lawn mowers are running for hours, leaf blowers howl left and right, etc... please stop complaining about little buzzing noise during takeoff and landing. 90% of the time I do recording from well above 100-200 feet. Sound made by Mavic at that altitude is almost blended into ambient noise. Hope that people will get use to it and stop portraying drone operator as threat. We are less threatening than car on the street. There are always idiots who will do dumb things. Same as idiots behind the steering wheel. We shall not be judged by their behavior. That is simply not fair. How many drivers intended to cause an accident?! Drone operators are not much different. We pay big bucks for our equipment and not intend to do any damage or lose it.
My biggest concern is who really complains and and who is just trying to be an ... difficult.

Have you found a place yet? Went for my first flight in Patchogue last night in a ball field by the water. Right before ball practice started. Went well. I'm in Medford. What about Sunken Meadow? Hard to find updated legal info.

Reactions: Mrmund
Ive gotten AMA membership and permit to fly at Nissequoge state
Park. Ive also flown at a dog park near the water in East patchogue

I flew in Coney Island 2 days ago during the afternoon. I took a video and a picture of the amusement park. Park police didn't say anything and no one even batted an eye lol. The only reason I didn't walk the boardwalk was due to the high winds.

I'm gonna attempt to try another round today if the wind isn't as crazy as it was Thursday.

I'm looking to try the POV mode on a light house. Any suggestions?

No issue flying at Eisenhower park.
I know that south shore beaches are banned from flying what about north shore?
Flying at normal county parks (not state park) seems fine. Just try to not break rules.

Suffolk offers a drone permit you can fly and designated parks 30-40$ depending on residency. It's good for a year I've gotten kick of 2 parks because of the drone

Town of Hempstead has banned drones from parks and beaches.

Town of oyster bay did not vote on 7/25/17 but will soon vote on the matter.

I'm general flying will be based on approval of request from town clerk. You would have to pay for one time or seasonal passes and must have insurance for possible damages to people and or property.

Soon it's going to illegal to fly anywhere on the island by the way it's going. Soon other towns will follow and try to monetize from drone fliers.

I fly in Eisenhower all the time. Just be mindful of the people and you should have no problems.

Also, be careful and pay attention to the Helicopters that land and lift off from NUMC. They leave the hospital at well under 500 feet sometimes.
I fly in wantagh park as well. I just don't get into other peoples business and do my own thing and havent been bothered once all summer

Reactions: Yoda007
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme