DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looking for advise on filming the Solar Eclipse

SGM

Reactions
I'm looking for any advise and suggestions for filming the Solar Eclipse on 21 August. Once in a lifetime and living in Tennessee I have the perfect seat. I plan on using a ND32 since there are no solar filters available for MP (that I know of) and not sure of the best settings for this particular photography.

I am also trying to figure out how I can stabilize the camera in order to either shoot from a stationary point on the ground or shoot at a much higher percentage than 30% in the air (preferable) since the time will place the sun high in the sky without locking in the gimbal and burning it out. any suggestions?

Well... During totality you wouldn't need any filters. However... Remember that the camera has a wide angle lens so the sun itself will be very small.

There is no way to tilt the camera high enough during flight, but I suppose you could hand hold the Mavic to use its stabilized camera.

Veteran eclipse viewers will tell you to just focus on experiencing the event as it will be over very quickly. This will be my first as well and I intend to film it but with a camera on a tripod and a solar tracking mount, so I don't have to think about it much.

Just some food for thought!

I agree, I don't think the Mavic is the right tool for the job.

Maybe a drone is helpful if you are trying to get sweeping shots of shadows falling over buildings and things....

But you are going from bright to dark and if you don't know what you are doing with exposures and things, it will take lots of thought. And eclipse is cool so focus on having fun and enjoying it.

Good points. I might just bring it up to 300'-400' and record the shadows moving in.

Reactions: SGM
All great points and in the end capturing the moment shouldn't be lost on tinkering with the mp, if I can find a location away from people I may send it up for the shadows.

Thanks all for the great input!

I was going to fly Mavic during the event in southern Illinois but when I checked out the hotels, I changed my mind. $400 night for a motel 6! I am all for making money but that's crazy. I work too hard to just throw it away. [emoji52]

Reactions: timsco60
Yeah my wife and I turned our eclipse trip (we live in AZ) into a 16 day RV trip through Utah, Idaho (where we'll be for the eclipse), Wyoming and Colorado! We're renting an rv and I booked campgrounds well over a year in advance. Many of them started cranking their rates up too but I got a good one that didn't want to screw over everyone. I really appciated that.

I feel for you, luckily we live in rural TN and have many open areas, but I'm hearing even down here hotels are trying to cash in - sad

As for RVing out west to see it would definitely spend the money on gas and some boondocking or parks. Either way a great event

We had a total eclipse years ago in the southwest of England. Typically it clouded over and the most we saw was very hazy. Even so, totality and its approach was an eerie experience. Your Mavic with its wide angle lens and inability to gimbal up enough to see the sun means it isn't going to be any use filming that. You might be able to see the shadow approach if you get on top of a hill with valley below in the right direction and fly as high as you can.
The sun is very dangerous to look at even with the correct filters and using a camera and lens makes it more so. There are stories of shutter curtains being burnt though by the sun when using a lens long enough to make the suns disc big enough to be of use. Better to look at the sun indirectly by putting the image from a telescope on to a sheet of paper. If you have to look at the sun directly, make sure that you use the correct filters. They have to be rated for solar use. Don't use nd filters, or dark slides and if you are lucky enough to get a good view of totality be careful as it ends, it doesn't take much sun to blind you permanently and you only get one pair of eyes.
For all that, I hope you have a clear day with good weather and enjoy the experience.

Reactions: TheWolfen and SGM
We had a total eclipse years ago in the southwest of England. Typically it clouded over and the most we saw was very hazy. Even so, totality and its approach was an eerie experience. Your Mavic with its wide angle lens and inability to gimbal up enough to see the sun means it isn't going to be any use filming that. You might be able to see the shadow approach if you get on top of a hill with valley below in the right direction and fly as high as you can.
The sun is very dangerous to look at even with the correct filters and using a camera and lens makes it more so. There are stories of shutter curtains being burnt though by the sun when using a lens long enough to make the suns disc big enough to be of use. Better to look at the sun indirectly by putting the image from a telescope on to a sheet of paper. If you have to look at the sun directly, make sure that you use the correct filters. They have to be rated for solar use. Don't use nd filters, or dark slides and if you are lucky enough to get a good view of totality be careful as it ends, it doesn't take much sun to blind you permanently and you only get one pair of eyes.
For all that, I hope you have a clear day with good weather and enjoy the experience.

Thanks Bob for the great insight and to all who responded with everything to consider. It's apparent I need to do more research into this event without destroying camera equipment, but I don't want to turn this into a "serious scientific project", I would hate to miss the moment being too caught up in the tech side. My wife being a professional photographer has everything but the solar lens needed, but I do want to research more on the shadow approach and using paper as you mentioned. Thanks again to all, I hope everyone has a great seat for the event wherever you are!

Reactions: TheWolfen
I'm looking for any advise and suggestions for filming the Solar Eclipse on 21 August. Once in a lifetime and living in Tennessee I have the perfect seat. I plan on using a ND32 since there are no solar filters available for MP (that I know of) and not sure of the best settings for this particular photography.

I am also trying to figure out how I can stabilize the camera in order to either shoot from a stationary point on the ground or shoot at a much higher percentage than 30% in the air (preferable) since the time will place the sun high in the sky without locking in the gimbal and burning it out. any suggestions?
Hello,
I was going to "cheat" in filming the eclispe! I am going to use some cheap go pro camera mounted on tripods at different places and angles. It might be small but at least I will have a video of it!

Should be interesting, if it comes out be sure to post the footage!

We are undecided where we will be for the eclipse. Possibly south of Knoxville, or maybe in the mountains. Cherohala Skyway is calling. Heck, might go ride the Dragon during the event.

We are undecided where we will be for the eclipse. Possibly south of Knoxville, or maybe in the mountains. Cherohala Skyway is calling. Heck, might go ride the Dragon during the event.
Wherever you go just make sure there are no street lights! I'd look for somewhere up high with a view along the path of totality so that you get to see the moons shadow moving across the ground. Really jealous, but I hope you get a great view.

Reactions: Scarab69

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S