DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now
Here's one from a little East of you all in Destin
7d48f08ed18ef060419de104004c58fb.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using MavicPilots mobile app

Niceville checking in.

Just got my Mavic yesterday. Updated the firmware and was going to fire her up. NFZ warning. Would not start motors. I'm within 5 miles of a recreational airport.

Where are some good places to fly in Okaloosa or Walton counties?

View attachment 7749
Niceville checking in.

Just got my Mavic yesterday. Updated the firmware and was going to fire her up. NFZ warning. Would not start motors. I'm within 5 miles of a recreational airport.

Niceville checking in.

Hey there, good to see someone else in the neighborhood. I just got mine 2 days ago and felt comfy flying today in beginners mode at Pensacola beach, especially with the winds down. An officer came over to talk to me but he was cool. I'll create a topic here about that later. BTW, it's good to see you're trying to do the right thing flywise.

I can't help with flying spots over there but fly zone apps I have show that that's a pretty safe area. One shot is from the FAA app 'B4U Fly' and the other is from an app that you can use to chart a flight and submit it in order to communicate with relevant parties. It's called 'Airmap', BTW. IMG_0948.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_0949.PNG
    IMG_0949.PNG
    343.4 KB · Views: 22
I have the B4UFly app. I think it only shows restricted airspace if you're in it. IMG_4635.JPG

Airmap is a great app
Yeah it is and it's gotten better even in the last 2 months as I hadn't used it and when I used it yesterday it looks to be a bit tightened up.

F22, I might suggest a few things although I'm a novice at this as I've only flown for 1 1/2 months with my original drone P3S; 1) talk to drone businesses in the area to get some 'inside' scoop. I talked to a photography place in Pensacola and he eased my mind and gave me some hints about flying even in the city limits; 2) use common sense...that was what the business guy kept saying; 3) know the rules to explain yourself if accosted by authorities; 4) call the airports although the fella I talked to said they're getting tired of being harassed with calls and told him to use that 'common sense' thing again; 5) use the AIRMAP as a way to notify folks and have a rational to explain yourself if approached by authorities; 6) choose times to fly when there are the least number of people and enforcement folks out. I've done lots of sunrises at the beach with no one really around; 7) pick home points that are somewhat discreet and away from the public; 8) stay well below the height that helicopters fly. At our beach there are copters flying down the shoreline at, what looks to be, barely 200 feet up. So stay below 100-150 ft.

I don't believe the authorities are really up to snuff in regard to drones. At least the officer I ran into yesterday wasn't. So I think that if you let them know that you have your bases covered, are using common sense and are following the rules and let them know you contacted the airports (either through calling or the AIRMAP), you probably would be safe to fly. You can even show them you're flight path on the AIRMAP app.

Sorry for the length of this and you probably are way more knowledgeable than me, so it might not have helped. I was a little taken aback yesterday so I somewhat wanted to go over these things for my own peace of mind. I was at fault yesterday and not using my senses well. There's an increased presence of police here due to spring breakers and nice weather. Two, I was way too visible as I was in a wide open parking lot. Three, it was 3-4 in the afternoon.

BTW, the officer said he'd given 3 citations for folks using drones in Fort Pickens Park. Bet they were breakers.

Yeah it is and it's gotten better even in the last 2 months as I hadn't used it and when I used it yesterday it looks to be a bit tightened up.

F22, I might suggest a few things although I'm a novice at this as I've only flown for 1 1/2 months with my original drone P3S; 1) talk to drone businesses in the area to get some 'inside' scoop. I talked to a photography place in Pensacola and he eased my mind and gave me some hints about flying even in the city limits; 2) use common sense...that was what the business guy kept saying; 3) know the rules to explain yourself if accosted by authorities; 4) call the airports although the fella I talked to said they're getting tired of being harassed with calls and told him to use that 'common sense' thing again; 5) use the AIRMAP as a way to notify folks and have a rational to explain yourself if approached by authorities; 6) choose times to fly when there are the least number of people and enforcement folks out. I've done lots of sunrises at the beach with no one really around; 7) pick home points that are somewhat discreet and away from the public; 8) stay well below the height that helicopters fly. At our beach there are copters flying down the shoreline at, what looks to be, barely 200 feet up. So stay below 100-150 ft.

I don't believe the authorities are really up to snuff in regard to drones. At least the officer I ran into yesterday wasn't. So I think that if you let them know that you have your bases covered, are using common sense and are following the rules and let them know you contacted the airports (either through calling or the AIRMAP), you probably would be safe to fly. You can even show them you're flight path on the AIRMAP app.

Sorry for the length of this and you probably are way more knowledgeable than me, so it might not have helped. I was a little taken aback yesterday so I somewhat wanted to go over these things for my own peace of mind. I was at fault yesterday and not using my senses well. There's an increased presence of police here due to spring breakers and nice weather. Two, I was way too visible as I was in a wide open parking lot. Three, it was 3-4 in the afternoon.

BTW, the officer said he'd given 3 citations for folks using drones in Fort Pickens Park. Bet they were breakers.

Copy all. Sometimes clarity trumps brevity so no problem with the length of your post.

The one thing I haven't figured out yet--and anyone please chime in if you have--is even after you've done your due diligence the software still won't let you take off. There should be a way to acknowledge that you are aware of being in a NFZ and you've done what you needed to. Basically, an "I've got this" selection so let me fly.

Copy all. Sometimes clarity trumps brevity so no problem with the length of your post.

The one thing I haven't figured out yet--and anyone please chime in if you have--is even after you've done your due diligence the software still won't let you take off. There should be a way to acknowledge that you are aware of being in a NFZ and you've done what you needed to. Basically, an "I've got this" selection so let me fly.
Oh, it wouldn't let you fly. I thought I saw that in your post but didn't know it, literally, would deactivate flying. Wow! I just watched a YouTube video for the second time re: controller settings and I believe you need to turn off the GEO system in general settings. I believe that'd permit you to fly despite the area you're in. Of course, that will cancel the information about restrictions displayed on your device's screen.

Live in N Alabama (Athens), have a condo on Pensacola Beach (Tristan Tower). Have a brand new Mavic waiting for me on my porch when I get home this eve. Any problems with GB hospital?

I'm in the Fort Walton Beach area. I don't have a Mavic yet, but fly race quads. We have a small group that fly in the area and one of the guys has a Mavic. It is pretty impressive. I'm currently looking to pick up a Mavic, hope to have one soon.
Anyone here use goggle to fly fpv? I have some fatsharks and was wondering if it would be worth picking up a nvidia k1 to try with the goggles.

Live in N Alabama (Athens), have a condo on Pensacola Beach (Tristan Tower). Have a brand new Mavic waiting for me on my porch when I get home this eve. Any problems with GB hospital?
I have a new magic and live down the road from you at Palm Beach Club.I fly a lot at the beach but pretty early morning, especially when flying over the Gulf, and I try to be as inconspicuous as possible and get in and out in 30-40 minutes. I go in back of our condo over the Sound a lot too and generally its not very crowded right behind our place so I feel safe flying out over the water from there. There is a very large playing field behind the GB HS and I've been wanting to go there a practice the Intelligent Flight modes but probably not advisable during school hours. I think it could be used after the kids leave school but there may still be authorities around that might take offense. I might need to just talk to school officials or just try it on the weekend. I also try to use the app AirMap to register my flights with authorities.

Overall, in this area, I try to be very discreet and follow all the iUAV rules. I think it's only a matter of time before I get accosted by authorities but I just hope I have all my bases covered (i.e., use AirMap to register flights, registration number on quad, stay away from private property and people, not go too high as to interfere with low flying aircraft from the base).

A place that would seem to be very safe and fun to fly is down Via DeLuna Drive, past Portafino Condos.

Oh, and I'm in GB right now and these are the advisories showing in the AirMap app:

Last edited:
We have family in Pensacola and visit often during the year. Would be interested in knowing where everyone has flown without hassle. We will be down the last part of June this year.

I'm in the Fort Walton Beach area. I don't have a Mavic yet, but fly race quads. We have a small group that fly in the area and one of the guys has a Mavic. It is pretty impressive. I'm currently looking to pick up a Mavic, hope to have one soon.
Anyone here use goggle to fly fpv? I have some fatsharks and was wondering if it would be worth picking up a nvidia k1 to try with the goggles.
I live in Daphne, AL. I got a Mavic in January 2017 and absolutely love it. It works great with an iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. However, I bought a Nvidia Shield K1 to get a bigger screen for FPV. This tablet is crystal clear and processor seems to work great, too. Perfect size and weight. An advantage was the HDMI output for goggles and onboard GPS. BUT, the droid system and the DJI GO 4 app don't play nice. The app will crash at some random time when you are set up for that nice aerial shot. Crashes at least once per Mavic battery. Very disappointed in the tablet currently and may send it back if I can't troubleshoot it in the next week. I've read every forum known for this problem and in fact why I joined this forum. I hope DJI puts out an update for the GO 4 app soon. If I were you, I would hit pause on that Shield K1 purchase. Side note, a friend with an Inspire 1 Pro is having the same problems with the Same tablet. (Yes, The tablet is in developer mode with usb debugging on.) Any real fixes, please respond.

Reactions: Srobert910
Hi guys! I am in Pensacola just below Saufley Field. Trying to get the DJI maps updated to NOT show Saufley as an active airport, because it is not. It shows it decommisioned on the New Orleans Sectional chart, and unlikely to ever be used for aviation again - they are building a 65 MegaWatt Solar Farm where the airfield was.

Saufley Field, though not an active airport/runway, it is still Federal and Navy property (houses a Federal Prison Camp, and houses several Navy program offices). Since it's Federal property (and an active prison), you may not fly over it. If flying near it (e.g. the trash mountain beside the base), you would have to consider other aspects....that area is still in the flight path of NAS Pensacola and Pensacola Airport.

Saufley Field, though not an active airport/runway, it is still Federal and Navy property (houses a Federal Prison Camp, and houses several Navy program offices). Since it's Federal property (and an active prison), you may not fly over it. If flying near it (e.g. the trash mountain beside the base), you would have to consider other aspects....that area is still in the flight path of NAS Pensacola and Pensacola Airport.

And don't want to fly over it. More interested in flying below 100 ft along the tree lined areas on East Fence and Saufley Pines. Certainly wouldn't want to fly over the prison grounds!! (although I had the prisoners asking me to throw a soccer ball back over the fence for them this weekend while I was walking my dog - even then told them I would if I wouldn't get shot).

Getting some pics of the solar farm construction would be of interest, though (from a safe distance)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7