DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now
Best, and safest bet, is to drive/walk up to the front gate of Saufley Field and talk to the gate guard on your intentions. He/she will most likely not know how to respond, so the Security Supervisor would be called for a determination. Their main concern "might" be that the drone may be "dropping" contraband for the prisoners who frequent the track and fence line. Even though you'd be legally outside the fence line, I'm sure someone may notice and report it to the base security office. With pre-approval, you'd skip the hassle. As an example...I flew my Inspire 1 on Corry Station (above and around the base Chapel) with pre-approval from NAS security and the NAS Public Affairs Office. I was helping the Chaplain locate leaks in one of the roof sections. Base security was aware, and had no issues the day I flew...they already had the memo from the Security Office and PAO.

Live in Pensacola and fly a phantom 4 pro plus and a mavic pro. Good to see yall
Any suggestions for a newcomer on flying down there (the mavic in my case)?
I actually have a thread on it here The more i read the more i'm a bit timid about bringing it down with me.. heading down there by flight tomorrow for 5 days.

I think it was suggested to try Navarre Beach ? Better area, less restrictions? Concerned about this forced NFZ landings i'm hearing about, though i dont quite understand how/when they happen.. ie: if flying over water.

I dont like to fly over people (obviously i guess) or cars etc.. so this area in fla seemed to be wider open and less "populated".. any other tips or suggestions.. for the mavic it seems best to turn off obstacle avoidance if flying 10 foot or closer to the water.. me, probably much higher, like 80 or 100.. so i guess i should turn that off for sure.

Any suggestions for a newcomer on flying down there (the mavic in my case)?
I actually have a thread on it here The more i read the more i'm a bit timid about bringing it down with me.. heading down there by flight tomorrow for 5 days.

I think it was suggested to try Navarre Beach ? Better area, less restrictions? Concerned about this forced NFZ landings i'm hearing about, though i dont quite understand how/when they happen.. ie: if flying over water.

I dont like to fly over people (obviously i guess) or cars etc.. so this area in fla seemed to be wider open and less "populated".. any other tips or suggestions.. for the mavic it seems best to turn off obstacle avoidance if flying 10 foot or closer to the water.. me, probably much higher, like 80 or 100.. so i guess i should turn that off for sure.

Don't be shy about flying down here, I fly around Pensacola beach sometimes, but prefer "Johnsons Beach" or Perdido key. With all the military flying around it's a bit intimidating, but along the beach you only need to worry about coast guard helo's. Just stay low(100') or so and you will be fine. I have never flown the drones near Navarre, but there is more AirForce traffic that way. Not really sure about the forced NFZ, I have not been affected by it. My point is, come on down and enjoy our beaches and your drone.

Just a warning. Johnson beach is in a federal park. Your not allowed to fly anywhere in federal parks. Just asked the guard at the gate. Maybe the general public area of perdido key would be a better bet

Checking back in with this thread to see where people are flying? AirMap looks pretty colorful with warnings.

Any thoughts on where to fly would be great as I'll be in PNS June 16-29.

I'm in Gulf Breeze and ready to fly.
Checking back in with this thread to see where people are flying? AirMap looks pretty colorful with warnings.

Any thoughts on where to fly would be great as I'll be in PNS June 16-29.

In the same region through friday night.

I posted this in my other thread.. but here is video from outside of the national park areas in perdido key (public area).. you cant fly in any national park in the USA..
Also shot this at orange beach water park..

I'm hoping to shoot some video at Navarre tomorrow.. however, on the main island you really cant (national park), but i think if there is a place on the other side of the bay it may be possible..
I wish i knew of some other areas.

In the same region through friday night.

I posted this in my other thread.. but here is video from outside of the national park areas in perdido key (public area).. you cant fly in any national park in the USA..
Also shot this at orange beach water park..

I'm hoping to shoot some video at Navarre tomorrow.. however, on the main island you really cant (national park), but i think if there is a place on the other side of the bay it may be possible..
I wish i knew of some other areas.

Yeah looking at AirMap there looks to be a slice of ground that it appears open to fly. The flight restrictions are what is getting me it looks like the only true clear to fly area is down by Destin.

Anyone know how strict they are down at Navarre Beach with drones? I have seen several, thought about going out early with the mavic to get a few beach shots. I know technically its a federal park, but I have never seen rangers down at Navarre beach. I think it is ridiculous to have so much area of open beach banned for all drones. They should have a small section where you can get out and get some nice gulf shots.

Best, and safest bet, is to drive/walk up to the front gate of Saufley Field and talk to the gate guard on your intentions. He/she will most likely not know how to respond, so the Security Supervisor would be called for a determination. Their main concern "might" be that the drone may be "dropping" contraband for the prisoners who frequent the track and fence line. Even though you'd be legally outside the fence line, I'm sure someone may notice and report it to the base security office. With pre-approval, you'd skip the hassle. As an example...I flew my Inspire 1 on Corry Station (above and around the base Chapel) with pre-approval from NAS security and the NAS Public Affairs Office. I was helping the Chaplain locate leaks in one of the roof sections. Base security was aware, and had no issues the day I flew...they already had the memo from the Security Office and PAO.

Any Pensacola locals know if flying inside Saufley field is permissible? DJI Geo shows it Geofenced and completely restricted. Airmap has it shown as a warning area. I'm willing to get permission from NAS, but if DJI will ground the drone due to the geofence, getting NAS security involved is a moot point.

hello all! rec'd my mavic a few days ago. i too live in the Saufley, Blue Angel Pkwy. area. would like to chat and visit with more senior mavic pro drone operators. not entirely new to flying drones, i am to the Mavic, I want to understand/learn how to fly within the NFZ restrictions that encompass the area i live in.

FJRmann

Reactions: NWFlaGuy
I just got back to Pensacola Beach last night and was curious to see if I could still fly as it's been over 3 months since I've tried it down here. I just downloaded and installed the lasted FW and App and was afraid I'd be blocked from flying or have to apply for clearance. I was was pleasantly surprised that all I had to do was self-authorize that I knew I was in Class C airspace and would take responsibility if anything happened (a heliport at Gulf Breeze hospital I believe) and I was free to go. I did see on B4UFly that I was in a TFR (temporary flight restricted area) which means there can be special events in this area, like the Blue Angels and maybe Special Ops out of the Navel Base.

Anyway, I am totally pumped that I can still fly here because I may have tried to sell my bird if I had been blocked. Haven't checked the SD card yet but I'm hoping I got some good footage of a good sized sailboat that I followed for a while on the bayside from about 150 feet up. Didn't turn off any sensors due to knowing I wasn't going to get very low over the water.

So, I hope that gives some of the folks nearby something to look forward to.

Pic shot in South Walton in early June
1db0269c950bcda29ec82b8fd92e82ec.jpg

Reactions: NWFlaGuy
Yowza. That's a little disturbing! I was out in the Santa Rosa Sound at the end of Fort Pickens Rd the other day and followed this big boy for a while. Guess the cargo and win a Kewpie Doll.

Just discovered this thread. I'm in Spanish Fort, would be interested in getting together to fly. There are a few good locations in this part of L.A.

Hey Pensacola here. Just bought a mavic pro and waiting on it to get here. Been doin alot of research and reading up on drones and flying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent