DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Los Angeles Heliports

poweruser15

Reactions
Hello Mavic Users. I am wondering how many people in the LA area are actually contacting every heliport around the area to fly.

Just look at how many heliports are in my area. Is it really necessary to do so if ur only flying a couple of minutes. ? IMG_3855.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Im fortunate that I only have 2 heliports within 5 miles of my primary flying area. I notified both of them by mail using a standardized letter.
In terms of what the FAA expects then the answer is yes. You must notify each of the heliports within a 5 mile radius of your proposed flying area.

I used B4UFLY to determine the heliport identification numbers and then skyvector.com to find contact information for those heliports. Then its just a matter of changing the name of the person that the letter was being addressed to and mailing. You could even drop them off if you want to save the .49 cents per stamp.

If you would like I can post up the standardized letter here so you may modify it.

Im fortunate that I only have 2 heliports within 5 miles of my primary flying area. I notified both of them by mail using a standardized letter.
In terms of what the FAA expects then the answer is yes. You must notify each of the heliports within a 5 mile radius of your proposed flying area.

I used B4UFLY to determine the heliport identification numbers and then skyvector.com to find contact information for those heliports. Then its just a matter of changing the name of the person that the letter was being addressed to and mailing. You could even drop them off if you want to save the .49 cents per stamp.

If you would like I can post up the standardized letter here so you may modify it.

That would be awesome if you can share that letter. Also, would one letter to each heliport be enough to fly the whole year? Or how would I go about the timeframe of flying.

Yes! Thats how I approached it. In the letter I indicate that this serves as notification that I will be flying in the future without notifying them each and every time I decide to take flight.

The FAA indicates you must notify them and I have. It does not state that you need to notify them each and every time you fly.

I refer to it as an "indefinite basis".

Here is a generic draft that can be customized and used
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46175410/Heliport_FAANotification_Draft.rtf

Thanks for sharing that, BD0G. I'm in a similar situation as poweruser15 in that I have about 12 heliports within 5 miles of my ideal flying spot. I wasn't sure if I had to call them each time or just one notification for indefinite flight, but I suppose its all up to how you interpret the regs. I may do the same thing you did.

Glad to see some folks using the draft I patched together from other posts. I had 8 letters that I sent last week and I only got one response by email. Here's what the Chief Pilot of a Heavy Lift Helicopter company sent as a reply (I didn't include their names as to respect their privacy).

"We received your letter referencing your UAS operations in the vicinity of our heliport. We really appreciate the notification. Due to the distance and altitude you will be flying we do not see any impact to our flight operations. If you do plan to operate it any location other than X and X please let us know."

Again thanks for the heads up.

@@@@@
Chief Pilot

I thought that was great....mission accomplished. I sent the letters with a certificate of mailing and will keep copies of the letters and replies in a file.

This was the only heliport that I was concerned about based on their location and type of work they perform. I sent a reply offering them an opportunity to see the gear and software that we're using.

I'm also trying to see if I can promote use of the AirMap app. It lets drone operators give notification digitally and in realtime. The drone operator provides the pertinent info and clicks the send button. At that point, all of the airport managers get the electronic notice (not sure if this is email or other) and can contact the drone operator if there is a concern. I like this method because it is a simple task that benefits both parties. The FAA should make it part of the B4UFly app and require airport manager participation.

I'm going to do a follow up call with the guys who haven't responded to the letter. If you use the notification draft or something similar, please share generic info regarding the results you received. I'm hoping this helps with the notification process.

Thanks,
ChasD

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Glad to see some folks using the draft I patched together from other posts. I had 8 letters that I sent last week and I only got one response by email. Here's what the Chief Pilot of a Heavy Lift Helicopter company sent as a reply (I didn't include their names as to respect their privacy).

"We received your letter referencing your UAS operations in the vicinity of our heliport. We really appreciate the notification. Due to the distance and altitude you will be flying we do not see any impact to our flight operations. If you do plan to operate it any location other than X and X please let us know."

@@@@@
Chief Pilot

I thought that was great....mission accomplished. I sent the letters with a certificate of mailing and will keep copies of the letters and replies in a file.

This was the only heliport that I was concerned about based on their location and type of work they perform. I sent a reply offering them an opportunity to see the gear and software that we're using.

I'm also trying to see if I can promote use of the AirMap app. It lets drone operators give notification digitally and in realtime. The drone operator provides the pertinent info and clicks the send button. At that point, all of the airport managers get the electronic notice (not sure if this is email or other) and can contact the drone operator if there is a concern. I like this method because it is a simple task that benefits both parties. The FAA should make it part of the B4UFly app and require airport manager participation.

I'm going to do a follow up call with the guys who haven't responded to the letter. If you use the notification draft or something similar, please share generic info regarding the results you received. I'm hoping this helps with the notification process.

Thanks,
ChasD

@ChasD

Yes I wanted to say Thank You for putting together the draft letter and should have given you attribution in this thread when I posted it. Consider this my apology and I searched through the threads from which I pulled the draft that I modified and could not find it very easily.

I sent out 2 letters as that was all that was needed and DID NOT think of using the delivery certification option. That would have been a good step to take for sure.

Alas, I have not heard a peep from either party. I hope to hear something and if I do I shall post up the reply I receive.

Plus One Thumbswayup on adding the Airmap feature to B4UFLY! Near realtime communication would be ideal if there is a no fly restriction or some issue with ones intended flight time or location.

No apologies necessary....We're all in this together which makes the forum a great place to exchange ideas. I grabbed some of the info used in the letter from other posts so I was glad to see it being used.

So far I only received the one reply....I'll post another message if I get any other responses. I didn't get any of the letters returned so they were all delivered. I selected the the Certificate of Mailing option because of the cost factor as compared to send a Certified Letter.

Also in LA, Santa Monica to be exact. I bet we hear more helos than some Afghani's do. Anywho, I'm so glad I found this thread. Thanks for the original letter @ChasD !

@BD0G did you ever receive any responses? Also, that Dropbox link isn't working, do yo ind re-posting your letter?

I'm having some problems with Changes at DropBox so I think I'll move everything to Google Drive. I'm on the road so it might take a week or two. In the meantime...you should be able to cut and paste the text below:

January 18, 2017

Name
FAA Airport/Heliport#
Address
City, State Zip
Phone

Dear Mr Name,
I received your contact information after entering flight data into the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), program app named “B4UFly”. The purpose of this letter is to comply with FAA requirements under “The NEW Small UAS Rule (Part 107)” which became effective on August 29, 2016. This rule requires prior notification to an Airport/Heliport Manager when operating a small civil Unmanned Aviation Systems (UAS), within five miles of an airport.
I intend to operate a UAS, (commonly known as a drone) as a hobbyist within five miles of your airport on an indefinite basis. Please consider this letter to be notification and advise if you require a different form of notification.
As a hobbyist, I will operate the UAS under the FAA safety requirements which are listed below:
Fly below 400 feet and remain clear of surrounding obstacles

Don't fly an aircraft that weighs more than 55 lbs

Keep the aircraft within visual line of sight at all times

Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations

Don't fly within 5 miles of an airport unless you contact the airport and control tower before flying

Don't fly near people or stadiums

Don't be careless or reckless with your unmanned aircraft

I am also providing additional contact and operational information for your reference. Please contact me if you need any additional information.

Operator Information
Name
Street
City, State Zip Code
Email Address
Phone

FAA Registration

Insert #
Issue Date: Date
Expiration Date:Date

Operating Area

Street
City, State Zip Code

Major Cross Streets : Street Name and Avenue Name

Latitude: XX.XX
Longitude: -XX.XX

Thank you in advance for your assistance with this matter.

Best Regards,

Signature…….

Name

I agree with the Airmap comments. I know that Airmap is trying very hard to be THE solution for controlling UAS airspace and building an ecosystem for handling all of this. They just got $10 million in capital from Microsoft to help pull this off. Their goal is to be the air traffic control platform for the use of UAS.

Last edited:
Here is a Google Dox link for the notification letter Go-by:

FAA Notification Letter

I also attached a copy case the link is out of order.

Attachments

• FAA Notification Letter.pdf
    32.2 KB · Views: 10
Hello Mavic Users. I am wondering how many people in the LA area are actually contacting every heliport around the area to fly.

Just look at how many heliports are in my area. Is it really necessary to do so if ur only flying a couple of minutes. ? View attachment 4848

where do you live? in the heliport forest???

Dropbox has now disabled thier Public folder section for all accounts. So files that are placed in that location and shared are no longer view able and accessible by default.

I just created a direct link to the file here Dropbox - Heliport_FAANotification_Draft.rtf

Thanks ChasD for reposting the file "inline" within the thread.

I did actually hear back from one of the Heliports nearby. Recieved a call from one of the subordinates that reports to the head of security. He just said , we need a way to contact you to communicate when there is inbound or outbound air traffic. I said, "text me" and he said he would tell his supervisor that and if needed contact me again. Not another peep.

@@@@@
Chief Pilot

Thanks,
ChasD

Your getting email addresses from AirMap? All I'm seeing is airport and phone number.

I'm having some problems with Changes at DropBox so I think I'll move everything to Google Drive. I'm on the road so it might take a week or two. In the meantime...you should be able to cut and paste the text below:

January 18, 2017

Name
FAA Airport/Heliport#
Address
City, State Zip
Phone

Dear Mr Name,
I received your contact information after entering flight data into the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), program app named “B4UFly”. The purpose of this letter is to comply with FAA requirements under “The NEW Small UAS Rule (Part 107)” which became effective on August 29, 2016. This rule requires prior notification to an Airport/Heliport Manager when operating a small civil Unmanned Aviation Systems (UAS), within five miles of an airport.
I intend to operate a UAS, (commonly known as a drone) as a hobbyist within five miles of your airport on an indefinite basis. Please consider this letter to be notification and advise if you require a different form of notification.
As a hobbyist, I will operate the UAS under the FAA safety requirements which are listed below:
Fly below 400 feet and remain clear of surrounding obstacles

Don't fly an aircraft that weighs more than 55 lbs

Keep the aircraft within visual line of sight at all times

Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations

Don't fly within 5 miles of an airport unless you contact the airport and control tower before flying

Don't fly near people or stadiums

Don't be careless or reckless with your unmanned aircraft

I am also providing additional contact and operational information for your reference. Please contact me if you need any additional information.

Operator Information
Name
Street
City, State Zip Code
Email Address
Phone

FAA Registration

Insert #
Issue Date: Date
Expiration Date:Date

Operating Area

Street
City, State Zip Code

Major Cross Streets : Street Name and Avenue Name

Latitude: XX.XX
Longitude: -XX.XX

Thank you in advance for your assistance with this matter.

Best Regards,

Signature…….

Name
If you are a hobbyist then you are operating under FAR 101 as FAR 107 is for pilots that operate for compensation or hire. FAR 101 is way less restrictive. Also, when sending a letter to an airport or heliport you are better off giving them as little information as necessary. I only give them my name and contact number, nothing else. Airport information can also be seen at www.airnav.com.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada