DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost GPS possible cause of error

Ludvig

Reactions
Hi I just got my super Mavic after waiting for 2.5 months:)

I read some posts on the forum about this and I would like to share some information with all of you!!!

I have only few flights under my belt so I am very new to this. I had already lost my GPS signals twice and it was scary as ****, lost control drifted in the wind and all that. All do I got my drone back twice by activating the go home as soon as I got my GPS back.
I thought about for some time and I was not happy and was losing my trust in the unit that I was waiting for such a long time :-(.

In my case i have figured it out :) Looking at on the flight log and some use of brain power... the conclusion was interference. The Mavic went from 16-18 sat to zero in a second and almost at the same spot slightly different height behind my house.
I have a satellite dish for TV system and when the Mavic got in or close to the beam the GPS went out the window and all seemed lost:)
So if you were flying to close to the beam or to low altitude all the same you will or can loose the GPS !!!

There also might be similar interference sources out there and i think it is worth think of.

Sorry for my English as I am from Norway and it's not my first language.

Sorry but that's not it. Your satellite dish doesn't transmit anything, it only receives - like the gps on the Mavic, it's only 'listening' to the satellites not talking to them. Your problem is caused by something else. Many people on here have had this happen with earlier firmware versions. If you're on the current firmware make sure you've calibrated your compass. If you still have this problem calibrate IMU, and if you still have it contact DJI it might've defective.

iPhone 6S

Sorry but that's not it. Your satellite dish doesn't transmit anything, it only receives - like the gps on the Mavic, it's only 'listening' to the satellites not talking to them. Your problem is caused by something else. Many people on here have had this happen with earlier firmware versions. If you're on the current firmware make sure you've calibrated your compass. If you still have this problem calibrate IMU, and if you still have it contact DJI it might've defective.

iPhone 6S
Loss of GPS "shouldn't" be associated with compass or IMU problems. Also, many dishes transmit now (think Internet) so you are jumping to conclusions saying his can't transmit. Total loss of GPS is indeed very scary especially if you are outside of VLOS.

Hi I just got my super Mavic after waiting for 2.5 months:)

I read some posts on the forum about this and I would like to share some information with all of you!!!

I have only few flights under my belt so I am very new to this. I had already lost my GPS signals twice and it was scary as ****, lost control drifted in the wind and all that. All do I got my drone back twice by activating the go home as soon as I got my GPS back.
I thought about for some time and I was not happy and was losing my trust in the unit that I was waiting for such a long time :-(.

In my case i have figured it out :) Looking at on the flight log and some use of brain power... the conclusion was interference. The Mavic went from 16-18 sat to zero in a second and almost at the same spot slightly different height behind my house.
I have a satellite dish for TV system and when the Mavic got in or close to the beam the GPS went out the window and all seemed lost:)
So if you were flying to close to the beam or to low altitude all the same you will or can loose the GPS !!!

There also might be similar interference sources out there and i think it is worth think of.

Sorry for my English as I am from Norway and it's not my first language.
Your English is very good. Thanks for sharing and I hope it doesn't happen again for you!

Loss of GPS "shouldn't" be associated with compass or IMU problems. Also, many dishes transmit now (think Internet) so you are jumping to conclusions saying his can't transmit. Total loss of GPS is indeed very scary especially if you are outside of VLOS.

He says it's his TV satellite though. As said in other posts, it may not be that it has actually lost GPS, it may be that the compass is disagreeing with the GPS so the Mavic assumes the compass is right and the GPS isn't, so it reports that it has lost GPS.

iPhone 6S

He says it's his TV satellite though. As said in other posts, it may not be that it has actually lost GPS, it may be that the compass is disagreeing with the GPS so the Mavic assumes the compass is right and the GPS isn't, so it reports that it has lost GPS.

iPhone 6S
Oh, I agree. Good points. The GPS compass conflict shouldn't cause the report of lost GPS. But that's in a perfect world. He may have misspoke about the use of his dish and I was just trying to be respectful.

Reactions: niclariv
Thanks good folks for the feedback !!
there is also a WiFi transponder link close to the area I lost connection twice !!
That can also be the cause of my problem / fault...

I also tested my super cool drone today in a farm area with no WiFi or similar transponders nearby and had no problems with loss of GPS.
Sadly I used the automatic tracking on my friends kid and he was running to fast and the drone backed up in to a tree :-( the only tree there.
New rotor blades was replaced and all looked OK:)

Had some problems replacing the spare blades but looked OK,, Started it up again ;.)
I had only driven it a few meter before getting a vibration camera warning and was in the process of landing when a rotor fell off, resulting in a small crash :)
A very small piece of plastic from the tree experience was lodged inside were you fit the rotor and the rotor was not 100% correctly in place.

New rotors on order!!!!!!

To be continued!!

Thanks good folks for the feedback !!
there is also a WiFi transponder link close to the area I lost connection twice !!
That can also be the cause of my problem / fault...

I also tested my super cool drone today in a farm area with no WiFi or similar transponders nearby and had no problems with loss of GPS.
Sadly I used the automatic tracking on my friends kid and he was running to fast and the drone backed up in to a tree :-( the only tree there.
New rotor blades was replaced and all looked OK:)

Had some problems replacing the spare blades but looked OK,, Started it up again ;.)
I had only driven it a few meter before getting a vibration camera warning and was in the process of landing when a rotor fell off, resulting in a small crash :)
A very small piece of plastic from the tree experience was lodged inside were you fit the rotor and the rotor was not 100% correctly in place.

New rotors on order!!!!!!

To be continued!!
Several bummers there. Learn and move on. I hope your gimbal checks out. They are sensitive to crashes. Read up on proper positioning of the gimbal after a crash. Lots of threads here.

Hi Guys

I’ve been experiencing the GPS signal lost during every flight once it had happened for the first time about 4 days ago. It was taking the joy out of flying.

Out of desperation, I did a IMU calibration today and subsequently flew 2 batteries to the minimum with not a single issue.

I realise that it was mentioned earlier that the IMU calibration is not supposed to have an influence on this issue, but prior to the calibration, it was virtually impossible to capture video because the drone was all over the place. During today’s 4 flights, it was rock steady again. Flying conditions were like that of the pre-calibration flights – in fact, it was much more overcast today.

For now, at least, I’m happy and excited about my MP again.

Hendré

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamoke