DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost Mavic :-( .....NOW FOUND! :-)

I had the OA issue on one of my flights so I just flipped it into sports mode and it came back via the RTH function I have all the OA settings on by default atm and my RTH height I change for the location I am flying in

Yes I know to use the sports mode now as I have joined this forum and read many hints and tips from helpful people, but if you don't read up and panic sets in this is pretty easy to miss in fact it doesn't say in the manual to switch to sport mode to get the aircraft back to you faster when using RTH

Reactions: Misterdavis
HA.. I was a little annoyed at first statement you made when you stated .. "I'm not an idiot noobie.." which is insinuating that noobies are all idiots.. :)
though I'm not a noob... anymore... ... we all had to start somehow... but you did make me feel better with the above statement.. basically saying the obvious that no matter how much time we have doing anything.. we can sometimes make a "noobish" mistake haha..
But.. most importantly.. very happy you found it and very happy to see how the community came together to assist with ideas and theories...
Happy Holidays everyone...

I apologise yes! You are quite right newbie's are not all idiots I must have been in the denial stage that none of it was my fault when I posted that comment
Indeed I was and still am a noob when it comes to a Mavic, there is far more technology and features in a Mavic than any of my Heli's or planes..

Last week DJI emailed me back so I informed them that I found the drone.

They want me to return it for analysis and to make sure it doesn't need any repairs which is good of them, however I have flown it since then and updated FW it seems to be perfectly fine... I really don't like the idea of not having it for a lengthy period so I will ask them what the turn around time will be if I decide to send it to them.
I need to send them the DAT files before they can give me an answer as to exactly what went wrong and why it wouldn't RTH so I will keep this thread updated when I hear a conclusion.

The big lesson here are 1) obstacle avoidance in bright conditions can cause problems. The MP stops when flying into direct sunlight. The sunlight confuses the sensors 2) obstacle avoidance limits your RTH speed.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I have not had that happen yet as I haven't flown it near any power lines, but good to know thanks
For some reason my phone isnt showing power line conv. Whats up with the power lines? I live one house away from so big big ones and my solo is 100% but my mavic i dont want ANY PROBLEMS. So can you fill me in on that thanks ALOT!!!!

Interesting read, glad it was found safe and sound. I will be testing the sport mode this weekend for the first time and its likely to be windy.

Last week DJI emailed me back so I informed them that I found the drone.

They want me to return it for analysis and to make sure it doesn't need any repairs which is good of them, however I have flown it since then and updated FW it seems to be perfectly fine... I really don't like the idea of not having it for a lengthy period so I will ask them what the turn around time will be if I decide to send it to them.
I need to send them the DAT files before they can give me an answer as to exactly what went wrong and why it wouldn't RTH so I will keep this thread updated when I hear a conclusion.

Did you send it back Loz?

And there it is. This is the proverbial 'money shot'. And THIS is the reason why the MP forum community ought to encourage those with reckless behavior to post their experiences. Not to bash them. Not to ridicule or belittle them. Not to wish them prison time and damnn them for endangering our hobby... But to help ever reader (new and experienced) LEARN from mistakes. Thank you @Loz for the courage and willingness to share your story - despite the very real flaming bait you offered.
Totally agree with this sentiment - we can all learn from this and other events with these fantastic machines. Using their flight modes to avoid disaster and be a better pilot is key.

I may have missed it scanning through this thread, but why couldn't you find the drone with the map on the controller? I thought as long as there was a little battery left it would continue to send it's location to the controller. Maybe it would not reconnect at all?

Glad there was a happy ending to this story. I've only had my Mav a week or so and I'm learning a lot reading this forum. Yesterday I got brave enough to fly up through a hole in the trees over to a deer feeder about 500' away and I scared a deer off! Great fun, hoping for wild hogs next time.

I'm reading about a lot of happy endings and close calls, which is fantastic. Now let's hear about the not so happy endings. I'm new to this hobby and I'm sure I'll be posting one soon unfortunately.

The Mavic is pretty incredible. The "not so happy" endings will be limited. Pay attention to your bird, stay informed by reading this forum and fly fly fly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old thread but Interesting reading . Glad the Mavic was found safe and sound .I'm looking at the landing video on my phone so can't really tell but is that a Power sub-Station on the right as he is landing ? I know this is a classic case of the sun and OA but if there were any high voltage lines that he flew over or near that could cause magnetic interference and also radio signal interference to add to the problem . I can't believe it landed without being at the top of one of those trees ,lol .

Reactions: oz6ds
I'm reading about a lot of happy endings and close calls, which is fantastic. Now let's hear about the not so happy endings. I'm new to this hobby and I'm sure I'll be posting one soon unfortunately.
I seriously doubt that you will have any problems. Problems are pretty rare for the Mavic. Keep it higher than any obstacles and set your return to home properly. Make certain the home point records and that you have a satellite lock before you fly. That is about 90% of the errors recorded here. Another huge thing is to learn how to manage emergency situations by practicing before they happen. Disconnects happen occasionally. That really isn't a big deal if you understand how to deal with it when it happens. Learn to fly without the application. Understand the RTH features.

Most importantly do not fly outside of your ability. That means keep it higher than the highest and within sight... don't get too ambitious.

Reactions: FLwaverunner
Just to prove we all make mistakes take a look at this if you have 5 ;)

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Sorry to resurrect this thread, as a newbie lurker - trying to gain as much info as i can! I noticed that your video features an area i'm very familiar with :) I have quite a few farms in that area that i have shooting permission on, i used to live in Haverfordwest a number of years back and still visit my friend in Pembroke Dock quite often. Anyway, glad your rescue mission was a success (all those years ago!).

Regards,

Dave.

Yes I've watched the flight log and you can see where it was heading but when it loses signal it just stops, I have searched over an hour at the last GPS point on the log which is in the fields behind a garden centre! it got too dark though so I will have to carry on looking tomorrow now.
It tried RTH twice but all it did was rotate to the heading point where it came from then just stayed there, would not move forwards at all to come back to me, I even tried manually to fly forward but nothing..was around 1100ft up and 3000ft distance

Hi to be honest its very strange because I have lost my drone after a "sd card full" message when I used empty 64gb card.
My drone just flow a way , tried to bring it back but no reacting but I had connection...
I think it was some system error but the app does not show that.
any idea what to do.
its happened with me about 20 days ago and Im well disappointed cant even think about 1 day.. because of this..Im looking my flight log and every time when the part is coming I see more and more but everyone looking just the numbers from my flightlog numbers which is not fair because if you looking the "video" how and where I went you can clearly able to see that I could not control my dron forward.
Might dji can do something?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190302-194755.png
    Screenshot_20190302-194755.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
Well yep it looks the the Object Avoidance into the sun issue that been seen a few times now.

The sun was clearly in view and and OE picked it up and just stopped the craft returning to home.

Shame we don't see the landing, was the card full ?.

I believe it may be better to turn it off a minute if you know there is no object and your flying at that height.

Can you just confirm again we're you on the latest fw?

Again very happy you got it back and regardless of height this was not your fault from the looks of it.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
If the sun/OA was an issue, there should have been a warning at the display on the controller. Of course, you'd still have to understand what to do. I've had that happen to me before - "braking obstacle detected" or something like that due to setting sun...

Yes I know to use the sports mode now as I have joined this forum and read many hints and tips from helpful people, but if you don't read up and panic sets in this is pretty easy to miss in fact it doesn't say in the manual to switch to sport mode to get the aircraft back to you faster when using RTH
Have you tried that out, I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter in which mode you where in when you initiate RTH. While it is true that the forward OA is turned off in sport, it'll be back on if you're in RTH mode. Also it won't come to you faster, it'll try to fly at the most efficient speed. ALWAYS monitor your distance when in RTH mode, don't just start up packing. While it happened to me that the sun triggered the OA in never happened in RTH, but we now know it's a factor.
I usually turn off forward OA when I use a ND of 16 or more and I know the place well.
@GhettoKop Here's my story which didn't turn out so well: Lost control, then 2 seconds later lost connection, on my Mavic Pro what happened ??

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada