DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost Mavic :-( .....NOW FOUND! :-)

Loz

Reactions
Hi I live in the UK - Milford, Surrey

I lost my Mavic today on my 2nd outing with it, I wanted to put a post on here in case anyone from my area finds it...

Return to home failed and I've spent the rest of the daylight searching for it with no luck..

Thanks

Thanks - what annoys me the most is that I'm not a some idiot newbie at this, I fly all kinds of RC's mainly collective pitch heli's and planes...This really is a software fault as in the flight log you can clearly see the points where I tell it to return to home!
I've not even made my first payment for it yet and it's gone! i feel sick

Cool.. No ideas what happened? Did the app record a last known GPS position/flight path?

Yes I've watched the flight log and you can see where it was heading but when it loses signal it just stops, I have searched over an hour at the last GPS point on the log which is in the fields behind a garden centre! it got too dark though so I will have to carry on looking tomorrow now.
It tried RTH twice but all it did was rotate to the heading point where it came from then just stayed there, would not move forwards at all to come back to me, I even tried manually to fly forward but nothing..was around 1100ft up and 3000ft distance

Reactions: boxsterfahrer
You should get @msinger to look at your flight logs. He will most likely be able to tell you where you should look for your MP. I have yet to read of an occasion where his assistance didn't result in the recovery of the aircraft.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Yes I've watched the flight log and you can see where it was heading but when it loses signal it just stops, I have searched over an hour at the last GPS point on the log which is in the fields behind a garden centre! it got too dark though so I will have to carry on looking tomorrow now.
It tried RTH twice but all it did was rotate to the heading point where it came from then just stayed there, would not move forwards at all to come back to me, I even tried manually to fly forward but nothing..was around 1100ft up and 3000ft distance
Sorry to hear about your loss :(. Winds at that height are going to be a lot stronger than at ground level..maybe it couldn't RTH flying against the wind? If that was the case, it's possible that it would stay around the same position and then land when the battery got low. ( May not be a good idea publishing your height...3 times legal limit...beware the "drone police"!)
Hope you find it, or get a good result from DJI.

Sorry to hear about your loss :(. Winds at that height are going to be a lot stronger than at ground level..maybe it couldn't RTH flying against the wind? If that was the case, it's possible that it would stay around the same position and then land when the battery got low. ( May not be a good idea publishing your height...3 times legal limit...beware the "drone police"!)
Hope you find it, or get a good result from DJI.

Thanks that's an interesting thought, the ground windspeed was probably no greater than 8-10mph I didn't notice any wind issues if you like. However like you say the wind could have been a fair bit faster at that height.

So i need some vital information now, when the controller loses signal the aircraft should return to home however if it couldn't fight the wind it would have drifted until the battery got to a critical level then descended right?

At what battery level would it start to land?

Loz, please upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here.

It looks like it was very windy. When your Mavic was trying to return home, it was losing about 6.1 feet per second (with no stick input on your part). Based on the last logged position and assuming the wind remained consistent, I'd look for it here:

Lost.png

Since it's not guaranteed that the wind was consistent for the remainder of the flight, I'd recommend you start walking from the last logged position to the yellow circle (and maybe a bit beyond it).

Best of luck to you, hope you recover it!

My fingers are crossed that it autolanded and is undamaged

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I'm not being funny but why were you at over 300 meters altitude, that's over double the uk legal and winds can be vastly different at that height.

Also did you try to put it into Sport mode to bring it back, when you say it turned and just sat there in RTH was that facing the sun ?

I hope you find it but you needed to loose height drastically to get out that wind, I had a P3 before I nearly lost and was RTH at 120m and it could not do anymore than 2ms in the wind, it was a decent distance out over land with and it would not have made it back, I dropped to 40m altitude and it got up to 14ms so it shows the difference.

Can you post a video playback of the flight log for us to see with the sticks over laid.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Spike6339
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000