DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost signal for the first time today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fly around the Bay Bridge in SF (urban area) and get out to about 3,000m before I return home to avoid low battery. At that distance, I'm only down a single RC antenna bar.

Yes, it's a setting in the "HD" section of the app. Click on "Manual" and then slide the range over to the lowest point in the graph. I use the 10hz instead of 20hz range. I don't think there's any downside. I've always wondered if the RC can dynamically switch frequency while in flight to avoid a noise spike in a frequency range in encounters but I don't think so. I think it sticks with whatever frequency it or you decide at take-off.
thanks man and I hope this isnt a dumb question but what is HD? also is there any disadvantage to 10hz instead of 20 when it comes to video?

Only fly about 1/2 mile hasn't happened before I believe it the djigo 4 app that sucks. I'm going to fly again and use the old djigo app to see what happens.
are you saying that you got further going over the same terrain with dji go over dgigo 4?

It all depends on what you have the failsafe set on as to what the a/c will do in the event of a lost signal. It can be to either RTH, Hover, or Land. You also set the RTH altitude with in the app. Btw, this is critical before flying in a new location. The developers need to add a popup message once it detects you are in a new location and ask if you set the RTH Hieght based on the new home point.

The most important thing to do if you lose signal is to, increase altitude asap. The higher you climb, the better signal you will have! Do Not worry about selecting RTH as the a/c will return to home point anyhow when it doesn't receive a signal after 20 sec (i think).

One last about RTH.... There is also a option to select called Smart RTH. This basically programs the a/c to automatically increase altitude if it detects an along the way. In other words, if it come to a tree it should increase altitude and fly over the tree and not go through it.

There seems to be some confusion between the DJI GO app loosing connection with the controller (saying aircraft disconnected) and the controller itself looking connection.
If the app fails and the controller is still connected, you still have control and RTH will not occur unless you initiate it with the button. As stated in an earlier post, if the controller itself is losing connection, turning off the controller should ensure that RTH will occur (if that's what you have the signal lost action set to).

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

thanks man and I hope this isnt a dumb question but what is HD? also is there any disadvantage to 10hz instead of 20 when it comes to video?
HD is referring to the "High Def" video stream but of course the options in this screen affect more than just the video and turning HD (1080) video on is just one of the options so it's a bit of a misleading name for the screen but it's just an icon. There's no disadvantage to 10hz, which is more than enough window to support the video throughput. I use 10hz because that tends to be the width of the window where I can find a relatively stable and low noise floor. A winder 20hz window might be useful when you see random noise increases all across that range. It's really about choosing the window with the lowest average noise or if the average is the same between 10 and 20, choosing the wider window.

Why
when mine happened I was flying over a archery range at 1700 ft I think at 200ft altitude I tried to descend to 30ft I think to see a target(thought it would be cool) and then bam lost signal. started hitting the rth button just like the op did immediately and it worked.
Why were you flying bvlos at 1700 feet in the first place?
Totally illegal!
You deserved to lose signal.
Again, as many had pointed out, it's people like you that will shut down this industry.
Please use common sense and take a ground school course so you'll understand the dangers involved!
And please get a 107 to fly along with liability insurance!
You'll be happy you'll have insurance one day when it crashes onto somebody or property!

Reactions: chad7218
someone did

Lifejacket for Mavic Finished

mavic doesnt fall from sky, not until battery discharge. but you know this

for the OP, id highly reccomend 'litchi'. it is a great app, and if you can afford mavic, you really should invest
not just for waypoints, etc. the basic interface is less clunky and if nothing else does not crash like Go 4.0
does on android phone

Thanks Kate

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

The blatant negativity on some of the online drone police.... Man its sad

What's your opinion on these Sensors flyNfrank? Lots of posts on them causing unwanted actions. Do you have them all activated? Just wondering before I go out again, you seem to know your $h!t

I mostly speak out with stuff I have had some experience of my own with. If I don't have any experience with it, I'll generally say that I'm speculating or something to that effect. As for the sensors go, they need a lot of tweaking. And considering the Beta Admins are they only group that can do that, it's very doubtful this A/C will reach it's potential.

I happen to of had the majority the the sensor functions enabled on the 1st strong wind flight I made with the Mavic. It ended up being a big mistake as a number of ill effects took place. I launched the flight with all those functions enabled by mistake. But it confirmed that using them in windy conditions is not recommended.

The only sensor function I use is the Smart RTH.

i was flying in my usual spot today but a little further than normal. The first battery I had no issues. I put the second battery in and almost the same route all of a sudden I got a weak signal then I lost the signal. Of course i **** when this happened. I kept looking up to see if it was going to return to home or did I lose it. I hit the return to home button even though I lost the signal. Short time later I heard the bird it was returning to home.
Not sure if it did it on its own or if me hitting the return to home button did something.
I haven't had a good experience with the djigo 4 app. I had no problem with the djigo app.

Say you lose it at 2 km away and it begins RTH, you should get signal (video and RC) at some point during the return and you can take over again.

I confess the first time this happened to me I was pretty nervous. It was the same day as the last firmware update and I had to keep repeating to myself that "Yes Alan, you did properly set everything for RTH.... " about 15 seconds later I had it again...

HD is referring to the "High Def" video stream but of course the options in this screen affect more than just the video and turning HD (1080) video on is just one of the options so it's a bit of a misleading name for the screen but it's just an icon. There's no disadvantage to 10hz, which is more than enough window to support the video throughput. I use 10hz because that tends to be the width of the window where I can find a relatively stable and low noise floor. A winder 20hz window might be useful when you see random noise increases all across that range. It's really about choosing the window with the lowest average noise or if the average is the same between 10 and 20, choosing the wider window.

10hz will reach out to further distances.

Why
Why were you flying bvlos at 1700 feet in the first place?
Totally illegal!
You deserved to lose signal.
Again, as many had pointed out, it's people like you that will shut down this industry.
Please use common sense and take a ground school course so you'll understand the dangers involved!
And please get a 107 to fly along with liability insurance!
You'll be happy you'll have insurance one day when it crashes onto somebody or property!

How do you know he's not launching off the side of a mountain?

@Grey Wolf really needs to get a life. Never constructive, only accusatory. Let he who has never done anything illegal cast the first stone!

Reactions: Anthonyk
when mine happened I was flying over a archery range at 1700 ft I think at 200ft altitude I tried to descend to 30ft I think to see a target(thought it would be cool) and then bam lost signal. started hitting the rth button just like the op did immediately and it worked.

In my experience over the years if you drop below 100' from anything over 1000' out you are probably going to lose some signal with any type of antenna unless it is just wide open space . There is just too much stuff between the controller and the bird . At 30' / 1700' away you can pretty much guarantee it will lose signal . I go 5000 feet out regularly with no loss of signal and have been over 7700 feet without a loss of a bar. I did fly about 2300 feet yesterday to spy on my buddies house and as soon as I dropped from 350' to 100' I started losing video . I started losing a couple bars of control signal as I went to 60' so I started on the way back up . LOS is not only a FAA guideline but also a radio signal variable that you have to deal with . Keep that in mind , even with high gain antennas .

Lol obviously none of you that are scared of the loss of signal never owned a P3s. Loss of signal on a P3S is normal, so if my mavic ever loses signal im not going to sweat it. It will return home. My P3S returns to home every time so I see no reason why a mavic wouldnt.

Sent from my HTCD160LVWPP using MavicPilots mobile app

If someone experiences a disconnect mid flight, first do not panic. Second do not hit RTH in the RC, if the aircraft's RTH altitude is set correctly just let it do its thing.

I was reading a thread on the Phantom 4 forum of a guy who crashed his Phantom into a tree and fell in the water because he accidentally lowered the RTH altitude of the aircraft on its return flight home. What happens is that when there is no video feed in the mobile device it does not mean you do not have control of the bird. He did not have video feed but had control of the aircraft, he panicked and pulled the throttle down lowering the altitude of the bird. Video footage shows the aircraft was well above the tree until he pulled down the lever.

I've had many disconnects since I started flying a few years ago the Phantom 3 Advanced, and I have always let it do its thing. I do not normally touch the RC until I have complete video feed.

Best action to take is to take no action, relax is part of the hobby. Enjoy the adrenaline rush from the anxiety.

Last edited:
Reactions: SteelFlyer
Mavic owner for three months.
Samsung galaxy S7 phone interface
Many times have I lost connection and just wait....it has always returned...so far. Also during this my screen becomes color smeared and pixelated.....
Annoyingly continuing to fly.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

If someone experiences a disconnect mid flight, first do not panic. Second do not hit RTH in the RC, if the aircraft's RTH altitude is set correctly just let it do its thing.

Best action to take is to take no action, relax is part of the hobby. Enjoy the adrenaline rush from the anxiety.

Great advice! Panic is what usually causes issues. The beauty of these birds is that you have time to assess the situation and figure things out. Take that time and don't just react. Easy to say, hard to learn, but spot on!

Reactions: Zorglub
In my experience over the years if you drop below 100' from anything over 1000' out you are probably going to lose some signal with any type of antenna unless it is just wide open space . There is just too much stuff between the controller and the bird . At 30' / 1700' away you can pretty much guarantee it will lose signal . I go 5000 feet out regularly with no loss of signal and have been over 7700 feet without a loss of a bar. I did fly about 2300 feet yesterday to spy on my buddies house and as soon as I dropped from 350' to 100' I started losing video . I started losing a couple bars of control signal as I went to 60' so I started on the way back up . LOS is not only a FAA guideline but also a radio signal variable that you have to deal with . Keep that in mind , even with high gain antennas .
7700 feet and you talk about FAA regs?
It seems a lot of posters on this board need their heads shaken up!
The unbelievable disregard for safety and the law is unbelievable!

Reactions: Zorglub
Grey wolf what other people do is there business you just worry about your own actions and beliefs. No point moaning no one gives a *** .

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest