DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Loud fan noise!

Goose48

Reactions
Hi, new to the forum and have a newly acquired Mavic. I've had Parrot, and eHang Ghost drone previously and whilst just sat there and on, both were silent, however after powering up the mavic whilst going through settings etc etc and just having a play, there was a significant amount of fan noise after a relatively short space of time..... Is this normal?!

Hi, new to the forum and have a newly acquired Mavic. I've had Parrot, and eHang Ghost drone previously and whilst just sat there and on, both were silent, however after powering up the mavic whilst going through settings etc etc and just having a play, there was a significant amount of fan noise after a relatively short space of time..... Is this normal?!
Yes that is normal Goose

Yup no prob if you need any help this is the place to ask lot of good people here to help out
If you DON'T here that fan then you have problems the MP heats up pretty fast with out that fan running so your good to go

The Mav has a big fan, around the size of a PC motherboard chip mounted fan. The sound takes some getting used to, but if you dont hear it kick on after around 2 minutes of idling, you know you have a problem if ambient temp is above 70 degrees outside.

The Mav front grill looks like a radiator which is actually the front of the fan shroud, so the fan is sitting right there behind the gimbal, thus the sound. It is a little bit noisy but it's cooling 2 internal boards, so I dont mind a little noise. I have yet to see one of the Mav fans fail even after a crash where the gimbal has been ripped off or destroyed, so the fan assembly is built as solid as a rock and out of harms way, which is very good news. I have seen dozens of crashed Mavs and the fan survived every single time.

The phantom main boards didnt have a fan, but never had a cooling problem for the main board possibly thanks to good venting. Phantoms did have a tiny fan on the gimbal board which usually did a poor job of cooling and also had a high failure rate, and as a result, many Phantom gimbal main boards fried while performing firmware upgrades. The Mav gimbal board does not have a fan, so I guess (hope) this one fan that is being used to cool the FC ESC and core boards will provide enough cooling for the gimbal. The gimbal main board sits on top of the fan, so its not in the air stream. Im keeping my fingers crossed that the gimbal board wont get too hot in there.

Mavic fan 1.jpg Mavic fan 2.jpg Mavic fan 3.jpg Mavic fan 4.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys, feel reassured. Bebop 2 and GD were silent, but couldn't do anything like this one can!

Just as an aside, I always keep a fan blowing in front of the Mavs radiator when Im doing a firmware update. 20-30 minutes is a long time for the bird to be sitting idle, and you cant fly it or run the motors when youre updating, so the fan can use all the help it can get for cooling. Updates are usually done indoors, so a bird sitting at 78 degrees temp, idling for extended periods of time, and no air coming in except for the fan can really get the Mav hot. I keep a small fan inside my car and also on my bench just in case the Mav needs updating while Im on the road.

The Mav has a big fan, around the size of a PC motherboard chip mounted fan. The sound takes some getting used to, but if you dont hear it kick on after around 2 minutes of idling, you know you have a problem if ambient temp is above 70 degrees outside.

The Mav front grill looks like a radiator which is actually the front of the fan shroud, so the fan is sitting right there behind the gimbal, thus the sound. It is a little bit noisy but it's cooling 2 internal boards, so I dont mind a little noise. I have yet to see one of the Mav fans fail even after a crash where the gimbal has been ripped off or destroyed, so the fan assembly is built as solid as a rock and out of harms way, which is very good news. I have seen dozens of crashed Mavs and the fan survived every single time.

The phantom main boards didnt have a fan, but never had a cooling problem for the main board possibly thanks to good venting. Phantoms did have a tiny fan on the gimbal board which usually did a poor job of cooling and also had a high failure rate, and as a result, many Phantom gimbal main boards fried while performing firmware upgrades. The Mav gimbal board does not have a fan, so I guess (hope) this one fan that is being used to cool the FC ESC and core boards will provide enough cooling for the gimbal. The gimbal main board sits on top of the fan, so its not in the air stream. Im keeping my fingers crossed that the gimbal board wont get too hot in there.

View attachment 8602 View attachment 8603 View attachment 8604 View attachment 8605
I was unaware it had a fan,so coming to realize i burnt something out and the remote will not connect any more,had to return it and get another one,got the new one and it sounded like it was going to takeoff after 2 mins into updating firmware,the first one never did it.

There is more computing power in a Mavic than in a pc form even a few years ago. To start with there is a 24 core image processing chip doing all the video compression and running the external sensors. Then there is still a ARM CPU in there and a lot of other high tech electronics. And do not forget all the power electronics needed to drive the four motors.

This all needs a lot of cooling!!

The Mavic is a little flying supercomputer!

I truly believe either very new builds have a much stronger fan, or perhaps the .500 firmware runs the fan faster. I have a buddy who took delivery of his late March, and it is WAY WAY louder than mine. Both his Mavic and his controller are louder.

I truly believe either very new builds have a much stronger fan, or perhaps the .500 firmware runs the fan faster. I have a buddy who took delivery of his late March, and it is WAY WAY louder than mine. Both his Mavic and his controller are louder.
Can confirm this is true. Just picked up a new Mavic Pro from BestBuy yesterday after crashing my original over the weekend. When I started it up, after about a minute the fan kicked in at full blast and the noise was surprisingly loud. My older Mavic (bought in December) did not run the fan at 100% constantly, it only kicked in once in awhile and shut itself off soon after and I don't remember it ever being this loud. I thought maybe it was a defect and that's how I found this thread, searching for "loud fan noise mavic pro". Happy to find this forum, but a little bummed about the fan noise, looks like I'm just going to have to live with it...

Also noticed a slight and constant clicking sound on the new Mavic coming from underneath. Anyone else hear that or know what it is?

I always noticed the noise, but I must say it does seem like new Mavics do cool better. My previous one is being serviced*, and a temp replacement I picked up doesn't get warm during updates like my previous one used to.

I just downloaded my flight logs and the whole time the mavic was cool as a breeze through its loud fans. I must say I do also always keep the vents clear during updates with 3rd party extension legs, yet I don't run a fan like another user who has commented (I might do that in future if either mavic does run hot...)

*(on that note, I think I'll be posting about my weird crash on a separate thread to ask for advice from you guys...)

Can confirm this is true. Just picked up a new Mavic Pro from BestBuy yesterday after crashing my original over the weekend. When I started it up, after about a minute the fan kicked in at full blast and the noise was surprisingly loud. My older Mavic (bought in December) did not run the fan at 100% constantly, it only kicked in once in awhile and shut itself off soon after and I don't remember it ever being this loud. I thought maybe it was a defect and that's how I found this thread, searching for "loud fan noise mavic pro". Happy to find this forum, but a little bummed about the fan noise, looks like I'm just going to have to live with it...

Also noticed a slight and constant clicking sound on the new Mavic coming from underneath. Anyone else hear that or know what it is?
Oh yeah! I just got my MVPP and I inderted the battery, powered it on and within a minute I heard the constant clicking sound. I swapped the battery with another one and it didnt seem to happen again. Right now I m going through the firmware upgrade process. The fan has been ON continuously so I cant hear the clicking if there is one now. I will report back if I hear it again.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54