DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Love/Hate Relationship with iPhone.

Air Nedhead

Reactions
Just had a bit of a scare. Flying my Mavic around when suddenly my iPhone shuts down. About 100 meters in the air about 3/4 km from home and poof. No map to show me where my drone is! Thankfully I was able to use readings from the controller to make my way back home. My first "instrument" landing. I love my iPhone but it sucks in cold weather. The Mavic did great though.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

iPhone 6? I've found plugging in the phone and launching the dji go app *before* turning on the controller prevents rapid discharge. I understand the panic factor firsthand :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: leucadian
iPhone 6? I've found plugging in the phone and launching the dji go app *before* turning on the controller prevents rapid discharge. I understand the panic factor firsthand :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's a bug because mine did that once too. I had over 80% battery but it completely shut off.

Reduce your chances of problems:
1. Completely shut off the phone, not sleep and re-powered up before every flight
2. Make sure nothing is running in the background and start the dj go app.
3. The start up sequence is the controller first, then the aircraft, then the app. The shutdown is exactly the same working backwards.
4. Make sure the phone is 100 percent charged before you fly.
5. Turn off notifications for everything, except the DJI go app, and turn on the do not disturb
6. Use a hood if you are in the direct sun. Keep the phone from heating up by taking off the case if you're using one. Keep it out of direct sunlight

Reactions: PowerT1998
Just had a bit of a scare. Flying my Mavic around when suddenly my iPhone shuts down. About 100 meters in the air about 3/4 km from home and poof. No map to show me where my drone is! Thankfully I was able to use readings from the controller to make my way back home. My first "instrument" landing. I love my iPhone but it sucks in cold weather. The Mavic did great though.

You didn't say which iPhone? but I think this affects both the 6&7, although my 6+ has never shut down, but did use a lot of battery power during flights.

iPhone 7.

The issue isn't the phone per se. It's that the iPhone doesn't like cold temperatures. As soon as it was warmed up back in the house it started up and the battery was at 75%. Temp outside was 0 Celsius at the time. The phone was in airplane mode as well.

Sometimes I think I would like a dedicated controller and screen like the P4 Pro. Depending on a smart device can be a pain. We just need to cache map data and critical updates minus Android/iOS.

Reactions: Air Nedhead
Sometimes I think I would like a dedicated controller and screen like the P4 Pro. Depending on a smart device can be a pain. We just need to cache map data and critical updates minus Android/iOS.

If they came out with one for this version of the Mavic I can almost guarantee I would buy it.

If they came out with one for this version of the Mavic I can almost guarantee I would buy it.

Most of the Appeal of Mavic is it's ability to mate with and utilise your awesome expensive smartphone, with it's sexy little xbox style controller.
But most of all Portability. Am I wrong?

So buy a p4 pro (with its big ghey white controller and long thumb sticks) or buy a Mavic..
ffs just dont buy an iphone :p

It's not an iPhone bug ... it's designed to shut down when it gets to cold or hot to operate. It's not insulated for cold temps

Not if it's Airborne

edit: O you meant the stupid iphone

Have said this is 2 other threads. I fought with Apple for 3 months and have had 3 I Phone 6S's and had the same problem on all three. I bit the bullet after I was sick of Apple wasting my time and bought the 7 and haven't had an issue yet. (only issue is I cant access this site with out wifi on my phone! haha :( )

GET RID OF THE I PHONE 6, 6S, 6+ FOR FLYING THE MAVIC!

Have said this is 2 other threads. I fought with Apple for 3 months and have had 3 I Phone 6S's and had the same problem on all three. I bit the bullet after I was sick of Apple wasting my time and bought the 7 and haven't had an issue yet. (only issue is I cant access this site with out wifi on my phone! haha :( )

GET RID OF THE I PHONE 6, 6S, 6+ FOR FLYING THE MAVIC!

I was going to quote Einstein's on Definition of insanity, but Apple have him in their iphone 7 commercial so I'm sure it's all good

Reactions: Squamer

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S