DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Low battery landing button dissapeared

Ryan Reynoso

Reactions
I was flying today and the battery got low around 5%. The whole left side had an "X" to cancel landing I assume. The landing and intelligent modes dissapeared.. The only way for me to land it was to catch it. Anyone experience the same thing?

Hate to disagree, but the battery getting that low can turn out real bad. Falling from the sky could be very well what it does. The voltage for each cell in the battery is the info you want to watch. Not percentage. Read and then reread the manual.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Last edited by a moderator:
We typically bring in units at 20% and that's what we recommend to everyone. Would be safe at 15% if it's a freshly conditioned battery but better off at 20%. Safe and happy flying.

Hate to disagree, but the battery getting that low can turn out real bad. Falling from the sky could be very well what it does. The voltage for each cell in the battery is the info you want to watch. Not percentage. Read and then reread the manual.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

VOTE TRUMP!!
Cool thanks I'll keep that in mind. So is it normal that the controls on the left disappear from your experience?

Cool thanks I'll keep that in mind. So is it normal that the controls on the left disappear from your experience?

Not normal but I'm wondering why you needed to hand catch? Did you not have a safe landing area? Glad to hear you were able to hand catch it with such a low battery and no injuries.

Not normal but I'm wondering why you needed to hand catch? Did you not have a safe landing area? Glad to hear you were able to hand catch it with such a low battery and no injuries.
I think because the obstacle avoidance sensors wouldn't let it go down low enough. I just grabbed it out of the air

I think because the obstacle avoidance sensors wouldn't let it go down low enough. I just grabbed it out of the air

There are no obstacle avoidance sensors on the bottom as VPS sensors are the only ground facing sensors so that would not be the problem. You may want to remove and reinstall a clean version of the DJI Go App as it could have been a glitch in the app. You definitely have your unit updated to the latest firmware correct?

Ryan - Suggestion:

Condition the new battery that came with your Mavic Pro. To do this one should follow the 10 / 50 process. First 10 flights run the battery down to 50 percent and then recharge. This will allow the battery to charge to its full capacity (longer flights) after that and also allow more longevity (longer life) for the battery.

Then put a mark on the battery in an inconspicious place so that once you get more batteries you dont get them mixed up and forget which one has been conditioned and which have not.

If you are already running it down to 5 percent then you obviously are'nt doing the conditioning cycles.

Sure run it down to 5 percent after that but make sure that when at 5 percent you are about 2-3 feet above the ground. So when it does drop out of the sky it is not catastrophic.

Also next time you get this occurance within the DJI App press the power button and Home button at the same time to Screen shot the DJI APP and what it is displaying. The post it here. I would like to see this phenomenon. Oh, make sure that your phone uses the combo sequence of Power Button and Home button together to screen shot. Most Android phones use that sequence. If yours is different practice using those key sequences first to get the hang of the timing and order of button presses .

Pressing the home button may cause the app to recede into the background so be careful when performing this step. Preferably from a low flying height.

Reactions: Advexure
There are no obstacle avoidance sensors on the bottom as VPS sensors are the only ground facing sensors so that would not be the problem. You may want to remove and reinstall a clean version of the DJI Go App as it could have been a glitch in the app. You definitely have your unit updated to the latest firmware correct?
Oh hmmm I don't know why it wouldn't go lower. Definitely weird. I'll reinstall the clean version and hope it works

Ryan - Suggestion:

Condition the new battery that came with your Mavic Pro. To do this one should follow the 10 / 50 process. First 10 flights run the battery down to 50 percent and then recharge. This will allow the battery to charge to its full capacity (longer flights) after that and also allow more longevity (longer life) for the battery.

Then put a mark on the battery in an inconspicious place so that once you get more batteries you dont get them mixed up and forget which one has been conditioned and which have not.

If you are already running it down to 5 percent then you obviously are'nt doing the conditioning cycles.

Sure run it down to 5 percent after that but make sure that when at 5 percent you are about 2-3 feet above the ground. So when it does drop out of the sky it is not catastrophic.

Also next time you get this occurance within the DJI App press the power button and Home button at the same time to Screen shot the DJI APP and what it is displaying. The post it here. I would like to see this phenomenon. Oh, make sure that your phone uses the combo sequence of Power Button and Home button together to screen shot. Most Android phones use that sequence. If yours is different practice using those key sequences first to get the hang of the timing and order of button presses .

Pressing the home button may cause the app to recede into the background so be careful when performing this step. Preferably from a low flying height.
Oh I didn't even know I should condition the batteries. Gonna give it a go. I guess I need to stop being excited and fully read the manual.

Yeah it was in front of me as low as possible when it was at 5%. I wouldn't risk it dropping out from high or even at all

We also recommend conditioning your batteries every 10-15 charge cycles as well. Number your batteries and keep a simple logbook of your battery cycles and when you are conditioning. This will increase the longevity of your batteries and also ensure that your "smart" batteries are able to be smart and display accurate voltages.

Was this your first flight? You have to hold down left stick when the Mavic is ready to land.

I could be wrong but I don't think the battery percentage drops linearly. This is why hobbyists care about voltage because it's the most accurate representation of how worried you need to be. I've pushed the distance internationally (coastline over water, no people for you sticklers) and let me tell you that at 15% your ******* is at full pucker if it's not in sight. For me regular safe flying is land as soon as possible from the 30% warning. That gets you safe timing in case something happens or gets in the way. I remember filming at the top of Vesuvius only to have to worry about tourist traffic in my takeoff/landing area. I prefer a good 50ft perimeter just in case things happen...kids often are curious and run to it and well, you don't want to risk any possible harm or flying directly over people. Not only do you need to bring it to you but you often need to avoid obstacles on the path to land: (I remember a case when I was at the amalfi coast and all I had was a little outcropping to work with).

If I had a nice field like those guys from flite test use if be golden for safety but damnit if the view isn't boring as hell.

Oh I didn't even know I should condition the batteries. Gonna give it a go. I guess I need to stop being excited and fully read the manual.

Yeah it was in front of me as low as possible when it was at 5%. I wouldn't risk it dropping out from high or even at all

At 89 Dollars + Tax +Shipping per battery and the inability to have more shipped and arrive for at least a month (looks like that time frame from all of the Mavic Fly More kits that have been delayed) I personally would want to squeeze the most life out of each battery that I was able to get.

After the first 10 flights down to 50 then concentrate on how your battery discharges from a full charge and when it becomes low at different percentages and voltages monitor how the DJI Go app acts and how the Mavic acts. That way when out on a shoot in some foreign place one will have a better "expectation" of what will occur.

Do this in a controlled setting like a park you are familiar with or a field where you can concentrate. I use a Field Notes Log Book to record the duration of flight and these values.

The Mavic has already been shown to slam into trees and a structure or two then self recover and come away virtually unscathed. Thats not a guarantee though :)

The Mavic has already been shown to slam into trees and a structure or two then self recover and come away virtually unscathed. Thats not a guarantee though :)

Where do we buy "@BD0G's Slam It Into a Tree and It Will Recover" insurance guarantee??? Link please :D

LOL :rolleyes:. I think we will see some pretty incredible self recovery videos as the Mavic's make their way out into the wild. We will probably see some that crashes that did'nt go so well either. I am hoping the former outweighs the latter.

LOL :rolleyes:. I think we will see some pretty incredible self recovery videos as the Mavic's make their way out into the wild. We will probably see some that crashes that did'nt go so well either. I am hoping the former outweighs the latter.
Not sure if you've seen these...:eek:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143