DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Low light focusing

JinForTheWin

Reactions
How are you guys doing it? I wish there's a way to set it to infinity focus cause when I try to manually focus, it doesn't lock on in low light. Attached is a sample. I did edit and applied sharpening but the photo wasn't in direct focus. [emoji17]

5cec852041f612b4750e012bca19bc36.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Still looks pretty nice. Two questions:

- what were your settings to get the picture to turn out this good?
- how have you found it to be flying in the city (or over the water near the city)? Where is a good place to take off and land, are you constantly looking over your shoulder for someone to tell you not to fly, are you concerned with authorities ticketing you or taking away the drone?

- S

So are you saying that no part of this cityscape would focus? Rather than showing the photoshopped image, it would probably be best to show the image straight out of the camera so people know what to expect when they face the same lighting situations in their endeavors, no?

Not sure what you mean by not locking focus in manual focus mode? I have used manual and it stays where I put it, in or out of focus. Manual is very had to use on a phone as the slider control is so small, I found it is much easier to use on my iPad Air2. If you are using a long exposure then I can understand the issue as long exposures require a very stable platform.

Last edited:
Reactions: pjnashville
When you use manual focusing, can you actually focus beyond infinity? (I can't try myself, have just sent my Mavic in to DJI.)

Still looks pretty nice. Two questions:

- what were your settings to get the picture to turn out this good?
- how have you found it to be flying in the city (or over the water near the city)? Where is a good place to take off and land, are you constantly looking over your shoulder for someone to tell you not to fly, are you concerned with authorities ticketing you or taking away the drone?

- S

2 or 3 second shutter. When taking long exposure shots I always use tripod mode. It was a little windy so the keeper rates were low. Focus didn't lock on fully so there was considerable sharpening applied in post. Wasn't too worried at flying in the night cause it was very very late in Tribeca.

So are you saying that no part of this cityscape would focus? Rather than showing the photoshopped image, it would probably be best to show the image straight out of the camera so people know what to expect when they face the same lighting situations in their endeavors, no?

Uploading from my phone and the auto HD sync hasn't been working(see my other thread). I suppose I could link everyone to a raw file. I'd be curious to see other people's low light photos and check their focus too.

It's been raining off and on here, that mixed with a bad gimbal (waiting on RMA label) any video I take looks like ****. I'll see if I can get a lowlight shot soon.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair