DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lucky escape caught on 4k!

mpa

Reactions
Flying low over a creek, i didn't expect a line to be strung across so low, nonetheless i was caught off guard flying at the most unlucky height. I hadn't noticed i hit the wire until i reviewed the 4k footage and noticed the slight wobble. very minor cosmetic damage to the rear prop (probarly due to the tilt). the video tells it all. an inch higher and it would been a complete disaster.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

enjoy!

Attachments

• ezgif-3-4ea77f0c6d.gif
    ezgif-3-4ea77f0c6d.gif
    9.6 MB · Views: 1,025
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 886
Last edited:
Really glad you escaped disaster!

How was this footage captured? I mean, what is that spinning thing in shot front left, a rotor? If so, how come we can see it?

Reactions: mpa
Really glad you escaped disaster!

How was this footage captured? I mean, what is that spinning thing in shot front left, a rotor? If so, how come we can see it?

yea its the clear camera/gimble protector, i only ever fly with this on. not sure if the reflection of the rotor or flare from the cover.

Flying low over a creek, i didn't expect a line to be strung across so low, nonetheless i was caught off guard flying at the most unlucky height. I hadn't noticed i hit the wire until i reviewed the 4k footage and noticed the slight wobble. very minor cosmetic damage to the rear prop (probarly due to the tilt). the video tells it all. an inch higher and it would been a complete disaster.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

enjoy!
Now go Buy Lottery Ticket.....

Reactions: Vasek
Why do you fly with the bubble ? Take it off and get a lens hood for protection. They just ruin the shots. Nice flight and escape lol.

Thanks man
im happy with that slight annoyance of the flare, small trade off for helping me protect the fragile gimble from damage, dust, bugs etc
im no professional,

I was flying a friends backyard and my Mavic flew right between the cloths line wires, I did not see until to late, and just lightly nicked a prop but could have been alot worse... fate smiled on me that day :)

Reactions: grizzard and mpa
Wow, that is close! You would have had a downed bird possibly lost in that river. Good thing you panned up, might not even have seen how close you came to disaster. FYI flying with the bubble is definitely not recommended. Flair like that can hinder your FPV, esp in flights like these, I'm assuming you did not have line of sight... Besides if the bird had fallen into that river, your gimbal would be the least of your worries.

The other worry of flying with the bubble is that it impedes cooling and, as a result, is likely to shorten the life of the MP's components. If you look above where the bottom clip on the bubble connects, you'll see a ventilation grill, which is covered if you've got the bubble on. Presumably this is something that's fine in the short term (e.g. when learning or from time to time due to particular circumstances) but not great if done over the lifetime of the Mavic.
Should mention, that although this has been mentioned many times within the forums, I've not seen an "official" take from DJI. Would be interested in getting an assessment from someone at DJI.

Wow, that is close! You would have had a downed bird possibly lost in that river. Good thing you panned up, might not even have seen how close you came to disaster. FYI flying with the bubble is definitely not recommended. Flair like that can hinder your FPV, esp in flights like these, I'm assuming you did not have line of sight... Besides if the bird had fallen into that river, your gimbal would be the least of your worries.

it was line of sight just the distance didnt help with the visibility of the cables.
the gimble covers been on for 35 hours 600km (182880ft) no issues so far.
DJI's actually recommends keeping it on.

Reactions: DrPeppar
The other worry of flying with the bubble is that it impedes cooling and, as a result, is likely to shorten the life of the MP's components. If you look above where the bottom clip on the bubble connects, you'll see a ventilation grill, which is covered if you've got the bubble on. Presumably this is something that's fine in the short term (e.g. when learning or from time to time due to particular circumstances) but not great if done over the lifetime of the Mavic.
Should mention, that although this has been mentioned many times within the forums, I've not seen an "official" take from DJI. Would be interested in getting an assessment from someone at DJI.

the gimble covers been on for 35 hours 600km (182880ft) no issues so far.
DJI's actually recommends keeping it on, i read this early on there official DJI forum from DJI ken.
interestingly if the mavic sitting on my table not flying the internal fans will power on after a while.
when its in the air and moving the fan is completely off when it comes into land after about 20minutes. i suspect the airflow over the heat sink is sufficient to keep it a temperature its happy with.

besides i hate it enough cleaning bugs off my props and the mavic body, carnt imagine having to get in to clean the gimble, i never touch the gimble im super carful given all the gimble issues people are having.

Reactions: DrPeppar
Thanks for that information! Much appreciated.

Polar pro makes a nice lens hood protector. I use it and have no issues and not worried about overheating or running the bird too hot. The bubble does impede proper cooling.

07ed9ad2fa50a1b2291fbe72c80058cb.jpg

Here's a link: DJI Mavic Hood / Camera Guard

Thanks man
im happy with that slight annoyance of the flare, small trade off for helping me protect the fragile gimble from damage, dust, bugs etc
im no professional,

No worries. The nice thing about this hobby is everyone has a different style and preference. I hate that also lol. Too many bugs out there.

I've done that same thing too. Off buzzing a neighbor's pasture...decided to drop to 25ft and move toward some cows. I totally forgot about the power lines going to an irrigation pump. I noticed the wobble while moving forward and thought it was odd. Didn't see the line until my after flight review. Here is a screengrab of the moment. ;)

3101a170edc07598593277e1cf94f665.jpg

And an ani gif. ;)

861a617ce57850f4a4cc6dd9d8ad565b.gif

I've done that same thing too. Off buzzing a neighbor's pasture...decided to drop to 25ft and move toward some cows. I totally forgot about the power lines going to an irrigation pump. I noticed the wobble while moving forward and thought it was odd. Didn't see the line until my after flight review. Here is a screengrab of the moment. ;)

3101a170edc07598593277e1cf94f665.jpg

And an ani gif. ;)

861a617ce57850f4a4cc6dd9d8ad565b.gif
lol how weird is that!

i now wonder if the magnetic field created by the power lines cause the mavics IMU to drift into the path of a power line!!! the compass goes crazy even if i put the drone on top of my car.
it carnt be luck that we fly at that exact level, i could never replicated that if i wanted to.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa