DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LUTs for Davinci Resolve??

R1Mavic

Reactions
Is there a place you guys know to get LUTs to load into Resolve that will handle the grading for us? I have never been into photo/video editing and of all the videos I've watched, it's a lot to do!!! It seems you can just add a LUT to your photo or video and it'll do it for you.

Any suggestions?

Ground control.com has them.

That's a satellite site. Am I missing something?

7abbb55e89339d9227a787b70c372433.jpg

If you are going to try and rely on LUTs alone, you will really be better off finding a color profile you like best, like Normal or TrueColor or something. LUTs are not meant to replace spending the time correcting the color. They are really there to augment the work. There is NO "one perfect LUT for every occasion." I have found (well before I got into drones) that having a good color profile and setting the white balance properly will give better results most of the time. Others will disagree, and that is fine. But you will get better results learning how to properly color correct than just throwing a LUT at the footage.

Unless you are just going to use iMovie (Apple) or MovieMaker (Windows) you are going to have to learn the software, and there is no shortcut to that. It just takes time. You might as well learn the color correction (which is not the most difficult piece to learn) while you are learning the software.

But again, if you only want to cut the footage, then just pick a color profile in the app and use the appropriate white balance and forget about LUTs and Color Correction all together.

Reactions: MarceloLi and Vasek
To my experience is true that only "throw" LUT on the footage works well in 10-20%. You should mostly tune the rest ( saturation, white balance etc. ) anyway. It helps but is not one step solution. And to learn more about the sw you are using is always usefull in the future.

Reactions: MarceloLi
If you are going to try and rely on LUTs alone, you will really be better off finding a color profile you like best, like Normal or TrueColor or something. LUTs are not meant to replace spending the time correcting the color. They are really there to augment the work. There is NO "one perfect LUT for every occasion." I have found (well before I got into drones) that having a good color profile and setting the white balance properly will give better results most of the time. Others will disagree, and that is fine. But you will get better results learning how to properly color correct than just throwing a LUT at the footage.

Unless you are just going to use iMovie (Apple) or MovieMaker (Windows) you are going to have to learn the software, and there is no shortcut to that. It just takes time. You might as well learn the color correction (which is not the most difficult piece to learn) while you are learning the software.

But again, if you only want to cut the footage, then just pick a color profile in the app and use the appropriate white balance and forget about LUTs and Color Correction all together.
I also found that sometimes it is just better to find a good profile and spend less time colorgrading in post.
What about the "Style" settings? Would you keep them on 0 0 0, or like some recommend -1, -2, -2 for example?

I also found that sometimes it is just better to find a good profile and spend less time colorgrading in post.
What about the "Style" settings? Would you keep them on 0 0 0, or like some recommend -1, -2, -2 for example?

There is no blanket statement on that when it comes to the styles on the Mavic. It would be just to go in and try on each one and see what you like the best. If I dont plan on doing anything but cutting the footage, I will generally just shoot the Normal (or True-color) styles and not do anything color-wise in post. I would generally set the sharpness back to -1 or -2 across the board on all of them.

It all comes down to what the person flying and doing the editor likes best.

Reactions: Valdo
Have you ever noticed how magenta the Mavic's daylight WB is?
Specially in log, right!

Here's a sneak preview of a LUT I developed for the DJI Mavic log.
It was painstakingly hand made using a Color Checker Passport, Lightroom, DNG Profile Editor, Premiere and Lattice. It wasn't easy but totally worth the effort. I'm getting more realistic colours, less shadow noise and better dynamic range.

17917112_10211549521226673_276353971474849864_o.jpg

Reactions: Shawn3D
Have you ever noticed how magenta the Mavic's daylight WB is?
Specially in log, right!

Here's a sneak preview of a LUT I developed for the DJI Mavic log.
It was painstakingly hand made using a Color Checker Passport, Lightroom, DNG Profile Editor, Premiere and Lattice. It wasn't easy but totally worth the effort. I'm getting more realistic colours, less shadow noise and better dynamic range.

17917112_10211549521226673_276353971474849864_o.jpg
Hey. I'm currently heavily experimenting with color correction / LUTs and different Mavic settings. I'm by no means an expert, so still have a lot to learn about color correction, but so far I achieve good results by simply using either Color profile None and Style settings 0, 0, 0. BUT: sometimes when I use D-Log and -1, -3, -3 and somehow manage to apply built-in LUTs from DaVinci resolve and tune it, it looks better than None + 0, 0, 0... So it is a bit hit and miss for me at the moment.
Oh btw, I also use ND filters and it does improve the video especially when filming on sunny days.

If you share your LUT that I can use in DaVinci Resolve, I can try to apply it to some of my test footage?

i create my own LUTS for resolve however it is really easy to do a simple colour grade if you just want the footage to look "NICE" here is a balanced LUT i made if you shoot d-log -1 -3 -3 and make sure your exposure is good and WB set, and pull the sharpen radius up to 52 this should give you a nice look https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/D-Log to Balance.cube?token=AWzr21h4fndl1hY-t4m9MUjBrHqU8ng5Q91kLqBCtbDSYYwzVgEP2Uc0CB8JrbyNdeqzzjOuvp-O9u0tNIa6YA0C-rfOnyJbvKLwEcLDZXi0ICZlyftMuaUccaoQwgSHGtAkbFh4cHxZ9vJvOw339ojIOmt2LtGYh4xcNzwuRdJDSg thats a download link feel free to use on anything but make sure you give me credit where its due!

Hey. I'm currently heavily experimenting with color correction / LUTs and different Mavic settings. I'm by no means an expert, so still have a lot to learn about color correction, but so far I achieve good results by simply using either Color profile None and Style settings 0, 0, 0. BUT: sometimes when I use D-Log and -1, -3, -3 and somehow manage to apply built-in LUTs from DaVinci resolve and tune it, it looks better than None + 0, 0, 0... So it is a bit hit and miss for me at the moment.
Oh btw, I also use ND filters and it does improve the video especially when filming on sunny days.

If you share your LUT that I can use in DaVinci Resolve, I can try to apply it to some of my test footage?

Yes, these can be used in any NLE. I've seen a lot of LUTs for the Mavic floating around but none that addresses the default Outdoor white balance. I think that is the main issue here. The Mavic and Inspire 1 have their WB veered way into the magentas. For those who like to rely on the camera's default WB, I think we need a comprehensive set of LUTs that address various situations. I'm planning on releasing these as a package in the near future.

Here is a demo
Sharpness +1 contrast -3 saturation -2
Edited in Premiere, Lumetri panel Sharpness -15 Filmic Vivid LUT applied

Nice one. I'm back from a trip in France, filming beautiful mansions, villas etc... But mainly filmed with None and 0, 0, 0 to be safe. With good weather conditions at sunrise and ND filter is quite good. But also got some D-Log -1, -3, -3 footage and will test the LUTs that I can get online.
Hopefully you will release some of them. Looking forward to it

i create my own LUTS for resolve however it is really easy to do a simple colour grade if you just want the footage to look "NICE" here is a balanced LUT i made if you shoot d-log -1 -3 -3 and make sure your exposure is good and WB set, and pull the sharpen radius up to 52 this should give you a nice look https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/D-Log to Balance.cube?token=AWzr21h4fndl1hY-t4m9MUjBrHqU8ng5Q91kLqBCtbDSYYwzVgEP2Uc0CB8JrbyNdeqzzjOuvp-O9u0tNIa6YA0C-rfOnyJbvKLwEcLDZXi0ICZlyftMuaUccaoQwgSHGtAkbFh4cHxZ9vJvOw339ojIOmt2LtGYh4xcNzwuRdJDSg thats a download link feel free to use on anything but make sure you give me credit where its due!
Do you have a download link for non-Facebook persons? :)

Reactions: Valdo
Hi, I would like to try your LUT and will do some testing. Question: I haven't met the place where you set the sharpen radius, where is that on the Mavic settings?

Here's a really excellent tutorial on using LUTs and to easily achieve a polished filmic look

why is your link trying to get my FB log in details?

Reactions: MarceloLi
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erroos