DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LUTs - Pease help me understand if am I thinking correctly?

galanonim

Reactions
Hi, I am trying to understand all this LUTs, styles, settings etc.

I did watch a bunch of video tutorials, and pretty much each says something different and it all is just confusing.

As far as I understand you need to apply correct LUT to your footage as d-log from mavic is different from GoPro etc. Also there seems to be two main types of LUTs, one is, so to speak "technical" and other is "creative".

If I understood well, you need do the follwing:

1. Adjust your d-log footage in your editor - I mean highlight, midtones, white balance etc.
2. Apply rec 709 with LUT specifically for mavic d-log
3. Optionally apply one of the creative LUTs?

If this is correct than I have some questions:

1. If I shoot i d-cinemalink, do I need specific rec 709 LUT?
2. What is the color space of normal mavic video, is it rec 709?
3. I learnt that I can use any creative LUT with mavic normal color space?

Hope I do not confuse people more than they are :D

--
Mateusz

I just started playing with LUTS using FCPX. Just finally figured out how to load them by looking at this video:
. And, you can get a free LUT here: FREE LUTS!

From what I've read and after viewing the aforementioned video, you first load the LUT and then can make fine tune changes afterwards rather than playing with contrast, saturation and sharpness prior to application.

I'm just learning so maybe some others may be able to give better assistance.

I just started playing with LUTS using FCPX. Just finally figured out how to load them by looking at this video:
. And, you can get a free LUT here: FREE LUTS!

From what I've read and after viewing the aforementioned video, you first load the LUT and then can make fine tune changes afterwards rather than playing with contrast, saturation and sharpness prior to application.

I'm just learning so maybe some others may be able to give better assistance.
Actually, just saw these LUTS advertised in another post and they mention making adjustments prior to applying the LUT. I may purchase these:
ICARUS MAVIC PRO LUTs

The short answer:
The technical LUTs in the link are used to convert correctly exposed footage from camera output to REC.709 ( srgb for video ) the creative LUTs add a predefined 'look' to REC.709 footage.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ