DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Magnetic interference

Berm_Rooster

Reactions
The other day I wanted to do a fly-around a ship. Controller warned me about too much magnetic interference. I took off from on-board the vessel and went overboard, but lost my nerve and brought it back, fearing I may lose my MP.

Any thoughts on this?

I work at sea on various vessels (tugboats, tankers etc.) and had permission. And I understand that RTH will end up dumping my bird in the water of the vessel moves from where I took off.

With all the metal around on the vessel I'm surprised you were able to calibrate the MP or maybe you didn't try calibration. I've been wanting to try flying from my buddies pontoon boat but was thinking that there'd probably be too much interference from the metal frame. Anyway, in the settings you can change the home point from where the bird takes off to wherever the controller is.

Reactions: bertram33
If ..or when..I fly over water..I'm buying floats....it won't save the MP...but you'll at least have your bird to repair if something does goes awry....I do not work for one of these mfg or make them..but I did just order some to take to the lake with me in a few weeks...just a thought....

When setting RTH to RC, how close/far does it land from the RC (does that make any sense)?

When setting RTH to RC, how close/far does it land from the RC (does that make any sense)?

It brings it back within 20' or so , close enough for you to take over and land .

Yeah, not surprised that with all that metal that there would be difficulty operating a drone in the vicinity of a big ship.

In WWII I heard that they used to degauss many warships in order to magnetically neutralize them and make them less likely to trigger any magnetic mines that they might come across, but I don't think that that was done with the ship you took off from.

Reactions: stratos
There are places you just cannot even try to take off.
I tried to fly it inside a gym and was the same "Mag interf" blinking mad on screen.

Taking off next to a car and/or from metal reinforced concrete (assuming that's what you did) was far riskier than flying around that metal crane.

The above quote from a completely different thread, but relevant here...

Fine for the MP to take off away from metal, then fly near metal structures (within reason).
Totally not fine for the RC to be anywhere near metal at any point while powered up/flying.

Correct?

The other day I wanted to do a fly-around a ship. Controller warned me about too much magnetic interference. I took off from on-board the vessel and went overboard, but lost my nerve and brought it back, fearing I may lose my MP.

Any thoughts on this?

I work at sea on various vessels (tugboats, tankers etc.) and had permission. And I understand that RTH will end up dumping my bird in the water of the vessel moves from where I took off.

Yeah. Look ships a big piece of metal, well many are. And of course that will cause the compass to go heywire. Take your distnace and also consider that many have powerful comm tower for radio radar and other frequencies.

Fly safe buddy

I too work on a ship. I've never calibrated onboard only on dry land. I've only taken off while the boat has been alongside in Port. Waiting on ATTI mode either with shielding or selectable to fly while at sea. One of my colleagues tried taking off while the boat was doing 10knots, luckily it was just four bust props when he hit the closest bulkhead. Flying inside the ship has been okay, obviously with Mag errors and App errors.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bertmag