DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Maintaining distance using active track

siwady

Reactions
Is there a way to maintain the distance from the subject (I.e. car) while driving down a mountain. Every time I try it, it sticks to the same altitude. I would like to keep the zoom on the car while I'm descending.

Sent from my Pixel XL using MavicPilots mobile app

Try going up hill instead of down hill. I think I read where the Mavic will not follow the terrain if it is going down hill in an attempt to maintain a safe altitude.

There are other apps that can do different kinds of "follow me" that may fit your purpose.

Is there a way to maintain the distance from the subject (I.e. car) while driving down a mountain. Every time I try it, it sticks to the same altitude. I would like to keep the zoom on the car while I'm descending.

Alternately, you could set Waypoints along your route which the Mavic would fly to. The Waypoint would set both the position and altitude of the drone so, conceivably, you could set a path of points down the hill and have it travel at a speed that is suitable for you. The drone will hover at the last waypoint so you would have time to turn your car around and retrieve it.

Alternately, you could set Waypoints along your route which the Mavic would fly to. The Waypoint would set both the position and altitude of the drone so, conceivably, you could set a path of points down the hill and have it travel at a speed that is suitable for you. The drone will hover at the last waypoint so you would have time to turn your car around and retrieve it.
Thanks MavicMikeGA! I'll try it out next time. But there is no way in the settings that allows the drone to descend with the car using active track? Not even manually using the controller?

Reactions: rayco
Thanks MavicMikeGA! I'll try it out next time. But there is no way in the settings that allows the drone to descend with the car using active track? Not even manually using the controller?

I haven't tried it but I remember reading somewhere that during "terrain follow" mode, the Mavic will only follow the terrain if you are moving uphill. Seems like an oversite to me. Again, I haven't tried it. I do know that you can use waypoints at various altitudes so that should work but it will just take more timing and coordination on your part.

I heard somewhere that this is possible using the Litchi app. Can anyone confirm this?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

If you press down on your left stick the Mavic will decrease in altitude accordingly while continuing to track the subject.

If you press down on your left stick the Mavic will decrease in altitude accordingly while continuing to track the subject.
I tried that but didn't work, since altitude start at zero when I take off on the top of the mountain, going down the hill will give a minus altitude preventing it from decending.

I tried that but didn't work, since altitude start at zero when I take off on the top of the mountain, going down the hill will give a minus altitude preventing it from decending.
Hmmmm, I did not have a problem active tracking below zero altitude. We are definitely both talking about active track which visually tracks the target and not "follow me," which locks in on your phones gps?

Reactions: CStone
Hmmmm, I did not have a problem active tracking below zero altitude. We are definitely both talking about active track which visually tracks the target and not "follow me," which locks in on your phones gps?
Yeah we are. It keep following the target but maintained the same altitude so the target started shrinking more and more as I went downhill.

Yeah we are. It keep following the target but maintained the same altitude so the target started shrinking more and more as I went downhill.
Hmmm, I wonder why holding the stick down worked for me and not for you. I am using the latest version of DJI GO4 and all the latest firmware.

Hmmm, I wonder why holding the stick down worked for me and not for you. I am using the latest version of DJI GO4 and all the latest firmware.
I tried it a few updates ago, maybe it has been fix ... I'll try it soon and let you know of it works.

Cheers!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent