DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Making light even in video

GSARider

Reactions
Hi guys, being a beginner, could do with a bit of help please.

I'm doing an orbit around a large house and the light keeps changing rapidly, so the footage varies in brightness as it completes an orbit of around 50 secs or so.

Would locking the exposure help to stop this or do I need to try something else?

Last edited:
Put the camera in complete manual mode and set it manually to how you want it to look.

Rob

Reactions: backcountrymedic
Ordered a set from hobbymounts in the UK, the three pack cinema series. Guess I'll look to manually set shutter speed, etc with the filter(s) on.

The NDs will help you get your shutter speed down around 2x your frame rate, which is what you want.

Then, get airborne, point at your "average" scene, get everything looking right, lock everything on manual and go.

If you are going to err, do it on the somewhat underexposed side, because once the highlights are blown out, you can't get them back.

Reactions: GSARider
In the mean time, the other folks nailed one important part.... white balance... Try to steer away from auto... use sunny or cloudy... or hell, even set it to 5500k. That should keep things semi decent until your polar pro nd's come in.

Reactions: GSARider
Most of the responses don't seem very helpful for "light changing during flight round house"
Setting it on manual will have yor video going too bright or too dark, buying ND filters then locking shutter speed n 1/50 might be optimum for cinematic masterpieces but won't stop video going dark/light.

All that's required is leave it on auto and fly slowly. Don't pan up/down getting bright sky in scene.
Looking mainly at the building and ground the auto mode will imperceptibly keep a nice exposure according to how you set the EV wheel.
This sounds like what you want?

I did try that, it was actually around a tractor sitting on grass, though I didn't touch the ev wheel, assuming that in auto mode, it would keep an even exposure.

Also consider fitting a lens hood. If you are doing a 360 then at some point you are guaranteed to be facing onto the sun (assuming its a sunny day)

Shooting into the light will cause lens flair and reduce contrast (and fool auto exposure) so anything to cut this down will help.

I did this the other day, shot in auto mode with colour correction in post - hoping the nd filters will help going forward...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake