DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Making Mavic batteries flight safe.

Ziggy01

Reactions
What have you guys done to make your batteries safe for flying with airlines?

My instinct is to discharge them and tape up the points. Any need to go further than that? They're only rated at 43Wh. Hell, my Macbook battery is 54.5 Wh and there's no restriction on having that as carry on.

I guess I just want to make every effort to display to the authorities that a serious duty of care is taking place.

I have little doubt that "nothing bad will happen", just as nothing bad has ever happened with my lithium batteries on any of my camera or computer gear when traveling.

I'm merely attempting to forestall any intervention or confiscation from ignorant and paranoid airline officials.

I have little doubt that "nothing bad will happen", just as nothing bad has ever happened with my lithium batteries on any of my camera or computer gear when traveling.

I'm merely attempting to forestall any intervention or confiscation from ignorant and paranoid airline officials.
I've never had any issues with transporting them other some curious security officials that wanted me to unpack the drone and show it to them.

Read up on your airlines Dangerous Goods documents. The batteries are safe at full charge so long as the end points are covered and it cannot short circuit. I have flown internationally many times with mine and never had an eye battered my way because of it. Mavic with battery installed + 3 spare batteries in carry on. I do recommend putting your spare pros in your check-in luggage though.

Read up on your airlines Dangerous Goods documents. The batteries are safe at full charge so long as the end points are covered and it cannot short circuit. I have flown internationally many times with mine and never had an eye battered my way because of it. Mavic with battery installed + 3 spare batteries in carry on. I do recommend putting your spare pros in your check-in luggage though.

Yeah, I'm thinking checked is the way to go. I did read up on the airlines Dangerous Goods - it clearly states no lithium batteries, which is plainly absurd. Singapore Airlines have no issue with batteries in carry on up to 100Wh, after that they have to be checked. Turkish Airlines (my transit flight) have a zero tolerance in their documentation, but clearly allow cameras, computers, iPhones, etc.

I'm just trying to minimise my exposure.

Spare "pros"? Li-pos are carry on only unless installed in their device. Props? Why do they care??

Yeah, I'm thinking checked is the way to go. I did read up on the airlines Dangerous Goods - it clearly states no lithium batteries, which is plainly absurd. Singapore Airlines have no issue with batteries in carry on up to 100Wh, after that they have to be checked. Turkish Airlines (my transit flight) have a zero tolerance in their documentation, but clearly allow cameras, computers, iPhones, etc.

I'm just trying to minimise my exposure.

No spare lithium batteries in checked luggage. It's not absurd, it's the law. You carry them on.

Pack Safe – Lithium ion and lithium metal batteries, spare (uninstalled)

Reactions: Kiowa
Spare "pros"? Li-pos are carry on only unless installed in their device. Props? Why do they care??

Knife-like?

Hell, I've received two nasty cuts from poor hand catches, but I can't see anyone firing up a drone and threatening a pilot with it...like some kind of weird little chainsaw.

Knife-like?

****, I've received two nasty cuts from poor hand catches, but I can't see anyone firing up a drone and threatening a pilot with it...like some kind of weird little chainsaw.
Knifes can be lethal, props are not. They would break first.

Sorry misspelt props. Yeah, they could be seen as being flick knife like. They also don't suffer from being in checked-in luggage. It's purely an extra precaution to stop any possibility of being pulled up for something and then the security being extra scrupulous.

Hah!

Just had this response from Turkish Airlines:

Thanks for contacting us.

There must be some misunderstanding between you and our call centre., you can carry on board too.

Please read below instructions;

For portable electronic devices such as power tools, video cameras and laptops;

No more than 2 lithium ion batteries exceeding a watt hour rating of 100 wh not exceeding 160 wh may be carried.

Spare batteries must be individually protected so as to prevent short circuits

No more than two individually protected spare batteries per person may be carried.

Hope that suits your requirements.

There was no "misunderstanding. I was so amazed at the guys response I asked him to repeat it three times.

You can take them on with your fully charged. I do. Nothing bad will happen.
Please ignore this. Cyberpower - you're absolutely right, nothing bad will happen, basically ever, but statistically speaking out of the thousands of lithium batteries carried every day, a vanishingly small number _will_ burn, and when they do it's far preferable that they aren't full charged at the time. It's no big deal to fly with them at 50% or less charge.

Hah!

Just had this response from Turkish Airlines:

Thanks for contacting us.

There must be some misunderstanding between you and our call centre., you can carry on board too.

Please read below instructions;

For portable electronic devices such as power tools, video cameras and laptops;

No more than 2 lithium ion batteries exceeding a watt hour rating of 100 wh not exceeding 160 wh may be carried.

Spare batteries must be individually protected so as to prevent short circuits

No more than two individually protected spare batteries per person may be carried.

Hope that suits your requirements.

There was no "misunderstanding. I was so amazed at the guys response I asked him to repeat it three times.

If I install the USB power bank adapter on it, it's not a spare it's a powerbank ;)

You can take them on with your fully charged. I do. Nothing bad will happen.

This is definitely not a good idea mate. And its a bit scary that you put people's life at risk. Of course we all hope nothing happens but please discharge you batteries before flying.

This is definitely not a good idea mate. And its a bit scary that you put people's life at risk. Of course we all hope nothing happens but please discharge you batteries before flying.
Sorry. That was supposed to say "I did". I've only done it once, of the 5 times I've flown with them. They were discharged on the other flights. My point was that the batteries don't really become dangerous in flights when fully charged. It's the high altitude, low pressure, which makes them dangerous. But airplane cabins are pressurized, so the batteries are as if they are only a dozen hundred meters off the ground.

Sorry. That was supposed to say "I did". I've only done it once, of the 5 times I've flown with them. They were discharged on the other flights. My point was that the batteries don't really become dangerous in flights when fully charged. It's the high altitude, low pressure, which makes them dangerous. But airplane cabins are pressurized, so the batteries are as if they are only a dozen hundred meters off the ground.

True, but there are many people which are not as careful as you and we should ask everyone to follow best practices for everyone safety :D

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamoke