DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Marco Polo tracker placement

You have to remove the tracker of course, but the Velcro doesn't interfere with the arm closing. So I put it on once, and take it off once, not for each battery.

Should get mine today. The pics are very helpful. Thanks.

Reactions: F6Rider
Just a little hint for anyone getting a Marco Polo tracker for the 1st time. Read the instructions closely as they are pretty good. PRACTICE with it in a big field, I had my wife hide the tag a few different places, even in a tree, and I practiced finding it. The Marco Polo will find the tag in a tree or on a ledge but you need to learn the procedure for that, not hard, just different. The Marco Polo will tell you to move if it needs a offset baseline to figure direction, just move to the right or left of the direction the tag went and it will then point directly at it and give you a range in % of signal strength. After some practice I was able to go right to the tag with very little trouble, it works very well.

Just a little hint for anyone getting a Marco Polo tracker for the 1st time. Read the instructions closely as they are pretty good. PRACTICE with it in a big field, I had my wife hide the tag a few different places, even in a tree, and I practiced finding it. The Marco Polo will find the tag in a tree or on a ledge but you need to learn the procedure for that, not hard, just different. The Marco Polo will tell you to move if it needs a offset baseline to figure direction, just move to the right or left of the direction the tag went and it will then point directly at it and give you a range in % of signal strength. After some practice I was able to go right to the tag with very little trouble, it works very well.
Nice to know. Mine should be here tomorrow so I'll practice using it. Oh. Nice Bike. Ride safe.

I have been reading along, I also have a Marco Polo Tracker that just arrived.
For those thinking that : Safe = (MP + Trackimo + Tile) your forgetting that if it hits the water all three of those units are dead. And yes even if they are in a waterproofed box the signals cannot travel through the water. You could be 1 foot away and you will pick up nothing.

Got mine yesterday and waited until night then tossed it in the yard. Followed the pointer and found it right away. About how long do you charge both units? I read the instructions, but wanted a real-world use. Thanks.

Reactions: mr.bill
I have been reading along, I also have a Marco Polo Tracker that just arrived.
For those thinking that : Safe = (MP + Trackimo + Tile) your forgetting that if it hits the water all three of those units are dead. And yes even if they are in a waterproofed box the signals cannot travel through the water. You could be 1 foot away and you will pick up nothing.
Well, that goes for any tracker, when you fly over water you just have to take your chances, but that being said, 90%+ of my flights are over land, so if anything forces a landing my chances of getting it back are much better with the MP than without.

Got mine yesterday and waited until night then tossed it in the yard. Followed the pointer and found it right away. About how long do you charge both units? I read the instructions, but wanted a real-world use. Thanks.
Well, the receiver has a charge indicator so that is no problem, the tag has to be turned on the charge, and the light will blink while charging and go out once its charged, mine took about 2 hours to get a full charge.

IMG_3474.JPG IMG_3475.JPG IMG_3478.JPG IMG_3476.JPG IMG_3470.JPG IMG_3477.JPG IMG_3472.JPG Received my Marco Polo today. Cool gadget. Works really well. I ordered it with an extra tag. Pairing it was easy. Took about two hours to charge the tag. Bought a small waterproof case to put it in and mounted the tags on the aircraft.

I decided on this location. Seems solid, no issue with the antenna and the blades and I don't think it will affect performance.

d6b4d2cb938d7b01e897a55404356f33.jpg
10d5cf5e6a2915ee717a5702b5333c01.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: mjmcoh
Over on the DJI forum they actually recommend placing the tracker on top in the front. One of the DJI moderators has a Trackimo that he places on top in the front since the GPS is in the back.

Quick question - How often do you actually need to use your tracker?

I am on the fence about buying a tracking device. My thinking is that if I have a crash/flyaway, I should be able to use my flight log data to get an approximate location fix. Yes, I know these things can travel a long way and finding a needle in a haystack may be much faster with a tracker, BUT....

The question is - what are the odds that I'll actually lose my Mavic and need to track it? Is this something that happens to people once a year? Once a month?

I know the answer will depend on many factors like how often you fly, terrain type, etc......but I'm still interested in hearing any stories that will help me understand the risk vs. benefits.

what are the odds that I'll actually lose my Mavic and need to track it? Is this something that happens to people once a year? Once a month?
I'm sure you already realize this, but there is no way to answer this question with certainty.

I'm sure you already realize this, but there is no way to answer this question with certainty.

Right; I know. Not looking for certainty....just interested in hearing some personal stories/anecdotes from people who already own a Marco Polo -- i.e., are you glad you bought one, or was it a waste of money? Again, every person will have a different answer because the odds of needing a tracker are very different if you are flying over open, empty desert (like we have in Arizona) vs. thick woods like in Tennessee.

I'm very new to this hobby, and I'm willing to spend appropriate money on useful things (a nice hard case, etc.), but I just can't tell if it's worth spending $200+ on a tracker that I might never need to use.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser