DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic affected by wind more than Phantom 3?

Linus Anakin

Reactions
Hi guys,

I used to fly a Phantom 3 Advanced for over a year. Never got the strong wind warning.

Just got a Mavic a week back. Noticed that the strong wind warning keeps popping up. Is this because the Mavic is smaller and lighter?

Can we do anything about it?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I don't think P3s have the warning, overall I would say the mavic is more sensitive to wind, particularly vertically.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Also, that wind warning probably needs to some tweaking as it seems to come up pretty much all of the time.

Hi guys,

I used to fly a Phantom 3 Advanced for over a year. Never got the strong wind warning.

Just got a Mavic a week back. Noticed that the strong wind warning keeps popping up. Is this because the Mavic is smaller and lighter?

Can we do anything about it?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
I shot this video in 20 MPH winds and was getting strong buffeting from the edges of the building I was near. As you can see, the Mavic was steady during the shoot. Also, the Mavic has a smaller cross-section than the phantom so it will present less drag to the wind as it flows over the drone - like a sharp sword slicing through the air.
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=cFJMSklHWEFmLXlBMHJ2WDBQbnpmU1pGczZkZDVn

Reactions: Slat
I thought that the high wind warning was a recent enhancement to DJI Go 4. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the Mavic gets knocked around more than the Phantom, due to it having so many hard edges and flat sides. The Phantom seems to have a more aerodynamic shape from all angles. I would also guess that the Phantom has a more ideal weight distribution, unlike the Mavic, which is very front-heavy.

Re: wind warning, i was getting it yesterday with absolutely no wind (maybe slight breeze). I'm not sure how accurate the warning is. There is always a chance there was a gust, but i haven't seen mavic reacting.

There is absolutely no doubt that the Mavic is affected by wind more than the Phantom line. Your footage will be OK, but it does get buffeted about much more than any Phantom does. There again, you've got Sport Mode to fall back on, which will get you out of all but the most extreme situations.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

In terms of weight I think the Phantom has around three pounds on the mavic so the extra bulk might add to more stability in windy conditions. I rarely get high wind warnings when I am cruising at less than 20 miles per hour. It can get pretty Gusty up at a hundred feet so the mavic is doing you a favor by telling you that it is not perfect flying weather and you might consider back home.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using MavicPilots mobile app

In terms of weight I think the Phantom has around three pounds on the mavic so the extra bulk might add to more stability in windy conditions. I rarely get high wind warnings when I am cruising at less than 20 miles per hour. It can get pretty Gusty up at a hundred feet so the mavic is doing you a favor by telling you that it is not perfect flying weather and you might consider back home.

I guess it would be like an inspire to a phantom, and a matrice to an inspire.

Regardless of the wind warnings, I have noticed a significant difference in stability between my p4 and mavic, I assume the weight is the biggest factor here, as well as potentially the aerodynamics of the different body designs.

My old man has a P3A. We flew together a few times and one time we both got the same warning with our drones relatively close together. There are instances were I'd get the warning but he didn't. The mavic seems to be more prone to wind turbulence compared to the P3A.

I would assume 1 less cell in the lipo would make a difference too? (plus smaller motors)

The wind warnings come (I believe) not from high steady winds, but gusts and hard maneuvering. Even in gusty conditions, when the a/c is maneuvered gently, I don't get the warnings. Making sudden turns or speed changes or large heading changes is when I see them the most.

Could be DJI need to smooth out the warning algorithm somewhat. Or at least chill the warnings after the first has been given.

Reactions: Linus Anakin
I thought that the high wind warning was a recent enhancement to DJI Go 4. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the Mavic gets knocked around more than the Phantom, due to it having so many hard edges and flat sides. The Phantom seems to have a more aerodynamic shape from all angles. I would also guess that the Phantom has a more ideal weight distribution, unlike the Mavic, which is very front-heavy.

I did a CofG on the Mavic Pro and it's just forward of the forward acoustic element - about evenly between the fore and aft rotors. EDIT: On better measurements, CofG is about 7.5 mm forward of the longitudinal centre between the rotor centres.

Hang the MP by the front left rotor between finger and thumb; imagine a line straight down to the floor;
Hang the MP by the rear left rotor between finger and thumb; imagine a line straight downto the floor.

Where they cross is the logitudinal CofG. Doing the vertical CofG is less accurate, but puts the CofG about 1 cm above the belly.

(You can hang it by any two rotors, actually).

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580