DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic and FAA Waiver Conflicts

DanB

Reactions
After tremendous effort to secure a Waiver from the FAA for an operation to be conducted on airport in Class D airspace, the operation had to be cancelled because of DJI software and their NFZ (No Fly Zone). For anyone desiring to procure a Waiver make sure you have time for the FAA and DJI's internal Flysafe team to provide instructions and codes to permit flight. I applaud their efforts for trying to help, but as a licensed aviator the regulations are quite clear, the PIC is responsible for safety of flight not the manufacturer. Emergency services do not always have the luxury of being able to plan in advance. Although this was training and not a true emergency, beware if you are operating in these environments. Pilots of sUAS should be able to simply acknowledge a precautionary warning message but not be subject to a default of NFZ and the equipment disabled. Come on DJI, read the regulations. Those attorneys that are worried about liability are going to find themselves defending this infringement on my ability to act as PIC. You're bordering on interfering with a flight crew.

I suggest a well written registered letter to their CEO is in order. Include everything documentation wise.

I do get "class C" warnings, but I'm below the Class C, not in it. So I check off the boxes and fly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ken28e