DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic and the Ipad Mini 2

Altomar718

Reactions
Hi All - Just wondering if we can have a poll regarding the Ipad Mini 2 and being compatible with the Mavic. As it was on the list, I bought a Nexus 7 (2nd Gen) and it wont connect - a complete waste of money (now on Ebay!!) - The next option is the Ipad Mini 2 - So ....

Does your Mavic connect and work well with the Ipad Mini 2 - Yes or No?

I fly with an iPad mini 2 wifi and it’s great.

Yes . Wi-fi and cell but only got 16 gb . Wish I had got way more .

Reactions: digdat0
I had a Nexus7 2nd gen that was great until the GO app became full of several processes. After trying everything to get it to work with no luck, I actually upgraded to the nVidia K1 Shield and a mini 2. I used the K1 Shield only until getting into a issue with android 7 and having to root the K1 just to get back to android 6. I then began flying with the mini 2 only. The very 1st flight with the mini 2 I knew right away how much DJI favors the ios operating system. It was so much better flying. You have a much improved secure feeling when flying with mini 2.

Bought an ipad 2 specifically for the Mavic b/c it was included on the list of compatible devices. Works well. Connected fine. No issues whatsoever.

it seems that dji drones work well with IOS but sometimes problematic with android.

Thought it would be helpful to share the ipad mini 2 setup here:
Instagram post by Funcentric • Jul 14, 2017 at 3:25am UTC Took these shots just a few hours ago. The setup is super clean. Didn't occur to me until a moment ago that the mount is supposed to secure the shorter distance of the ipad, not the longer distance like I have in the photos. Ooops. The 90 degree cable was purchased here:
Amazon.com: Iseason iPhone Charger,Lightning Cable 3Pack 8in High Speed Nylon Braided iPhone Cable for iPhone 7/7 Plus/6/6 Plus/6S/6S Plus,SE/5S/5,iPad,iPod Nano 7 (Black White): Cell Phones & Accessories

People had bad experiences with Kanex, so I looked for this alternative. 4.5 star reviews. It was cheaper and came with 2 extras. Very glad I got it even though it's not all black. White and black design, but it's fabric, so I figure it'll hold up better and I'll have extras. If you're in San Francisco by chance, hit me up through PM and I'll give you one. First come first served.

Last edited:
I have a 128gb iPad mini 2 wifi only that I bought specifically for my mavic. I don't run may other app on it as i have an iPad Air 2 as well.
It worked for a little while... but after these most resent firmware update it struggles... after a few minutes of flying I get some serious lag in the video. I turned off video caching and that made most of the lag go away... still see a few blip once and a while.. but when I few on the 4th I got a mobile CPU resource warning..... so now both iPads are up for sale and I plan to get a Mini 4....
View media item 996
Not sure if others have had the same experience...

Last edited:
That sounds horrible! Oh no! I just bought a Mini 2. Not asking for firmware updates at the moment though. Wish me luck. Being that DJI prefers IOS over android, I would think they'd fix any issues promptly once enough has been reported though. What's your alternative once you sell the two ipads?

That sounds horrible! Oh no! I just bought a Mini 2. Not asking for firmware updates at the moment though. Wish me luck. Being that DJI prefers IOS over android, I would think they'd fix any issues promptly once enough has been reported though. What's your alternative once you sell the two ipads?

With the CPU error I plan to move to iPad mini 4

I fly with an iPad mini 2 wifi without problems.
I wish the screen would be brighter. Hard to see anything in bright sunlight.
And DJI should make the text larger. Same size as on smart phones.

It worked for a little while... but after these most resent firmware update it struggles... after a few minutes of flying I get some serious lag in the video. I turned off video caching and that made most of the lag go away... still see a few blip once and a while.. but when I few on the 4th I got a mobile CPU resource warning.
View media item 996
Not sure if others have had the same experience...

I had a similar message on my iPad mini2. I noticed my cache was full and I had to switch off 'record audio'. This solved it

Thanks for the tip. I have never had audio on, but good to know in case it happens.

With the CPU error I plan to move to iPad mini 4

I am using a Mini 2. Bought it (Super cheap) solely as a mavic controler and run no other app on it. Every now and again I get this error message. I considered, for best user experience to bite the bullet and upgrade to a Mini 4 but some members are currently reporting the same error message on the iPad Mini 4... :(

I don't think I can warrent the money for a Crystal Sky monitor!

Hold off on the iPad mini2. It was a fantastic experience with the updates and more demand on the device I am beginning to see some issues. I had the CPU issue yesterday. I deleted all the flight apps soft reset of the iPad then reinstalled everything. Seemed to work again. Testing today to see if the hesitation is also gone.

Tested... moments ago .. not great news. My iPad Mini 2 is back to being unserviceable.. I have an iPad mini 2 with Cellular and 64 Gb of space. I thought about upgrading to iPad mini 4 but I have read on here that the mini 4 is also not working properly.

Tested... moments ago .. not great news. My iPad Mini 2 is back to being unserviceable.. I have an iPad mini 2 with Cellular and 64 Gb of space. I thought about upgrading to iPad mini 4 but I have read on here that the mini 4 is also not working properly.

This tells me that is a 'Buggy' thing rather than the iPads not being up to the job!

Fingers crossed DJI will iron this out siin enough!

I am using a Mini 2. Bought it (Super cheap) solely as a mavic controler and run no other app on it. Every now and again I get this error message. I considered, for best user experience to bite the bullet and upgrade to a Mini 4 but some members are currently reporting the same error message on the iPad Mini 4... :(

I don't think I can warrent the money for a Crystal Sky monitor!

Unless you need something usable in bright sunlight. I stopped using a mini 4 because the screen was so DIM even compared to my Edge 7, note 5. Crystal Sky is on my soon to buy list just for the brightness.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kcb2627