DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic and Waypoint Flight Mode

CyberdyneSystems

Reactions
Testing out the Waypoint flight mode with the DJI Go 4 app and it seems you can only access your saved routes once you're in the air. My plan was to create a number of flight paths over some of my favorite MTB trailers ahead of time. Then fly them later with riders on course and all I have to do is run the camera knowing the route won't let me run into anything. But I was hoping too be able to access the saved routes, review them on the map and relabel them with a meaning full name but it seems you only have access to them when the Mavic is in the air? Is there a way to review and retitle them without having to be flying? It's tough to tell simply by the date and time which route might be which especially since I plane to creat multiple flight paths over the same trail with different altitudes and angles. And even more difficult since you are already in the air and battery clock is ticking when trying to pick a saved route.

I know I could use the Litchi app but I guess I'm a little concerned about getting DJI Refresh coverage using a 3rd party app. And I actually like how the DJI Go 4 app basically makes you fly the route so you know it's safe.

I have been experimenting with waypoints, but have also found it to be lacking a lot of features. I also can't figure out how to name the waypoint missions and haven't really figured out what saving them to favorites actually accomplishes. It is also difficult to tell if you are actually selecting a particular saved mission in the menu. Overall it is pretty basic and feels a bit unfinished.

I have Litchi and Auto Pilot so I might need to try those out with the Mavic. I don't have reliable data in mot places I fly and all the 3rd party apps seem to use maps to perform waypoint mission instead of the pre flying method in the Go app.

Here are some mtb shots using waypoints I took of myself last week. I think there are lot of possibilities using waypoints, but really want to see them polish up this function in the app so to you can more reliable plan out shoots like you're describing.

I have been experimenting with waypoints, but have also found it to be lacking a lot of features. I also can't figure out how to name the waypoint missions and haven't really figured out what saving them to favorites actually accomplishes. It is also difficult to tell if you are actually selecting a particular saved mission in the menu. Overall it is pretty basic and feels a bit unfinished.

I have Litchi and Auto Pilot so I might need to try those out with the Mavic. I don't have reliable data in mot places I fly and all the 3rd party apps seem to use maps to perform waypoint mission instead of the pre flying method in the Go app.

Here are some mtb shots using waypoints I took of myself last week. I think there are lot of possibilities using waypoints, but really want to see them polish up this function in the app so to you can more reliable plan out shoots like you're describing.

Did you use the Tracking Mode on this video?

Reactions: jointeffort
I thought litchi allowed you to save waypoints without actually flying them beforehand.

Wow you just set a Waypoint course and managed to keep your self in frame!

As far as I know the Litche app dose allow you to creat waypoints ahead of time. Which is fine if your planing to fly with decent altitude above terrain and trees.

I'm looking to build some that are lower then I would feel comfortable with with out actually flying to each on first.

I'm curious if Litchi or others will allow you to set way points in the same manner as GO, but have more options and allow you to save them more easily. Setting them beforehand on a map doesn't work for me. Just seems too risky on anything but really flat areas or high altitude flying.

Just plan it out and set a speed you can maintain. In a few shots I was on the brakes because I set the speed too low and didn't want to ride out of the frame. Definitely had a few shots that did't work out at all.

use litchi its amazing app! you can plan all your waypoints from your homes computer and upload them to the cloud and access them from your flying location.
You can program all sort of things before hand and once the magic gets all the co-ordinatines and starts flying it does not even need to be connected to your remote controller! which means that i have flown missions over 13km in distance (2-ways) and you need not worry about battery reaching its limits as it will end the mission if it calculates that there is not enough battery to return..
the magic built in software takes over the litchi app in any case so obstacle avoidince etc also works.

I'm a current Bebop pilot (I know, I know) looking into purchasing a Mavic Pro. I must say I am rather impressed with the waypoint features of the Bebop and I'm surprised that the Mavic waypoint software doesn't seem quite as good. At least not yet, anyway. But maybe I'm just ignorant of the features on the Mavic Pro?

For instance, if I want to take video of a landmark with the Bebop all I have to do is tell it where the point of interest is, where I want to fly (and at what altitudes), and the Bebop will do a pretty good job of keeping the landmark centered in the camera frame at all times.

Can the Mavic Pro do something similar?

...For instance, if I want to take video of a landmark with the Bebop all I have to do is tell it where the point of interest is, where I want to fly (and at what altitudes), and the Bebop will do a pretty good job of keeping the landmark centered in the camera frame at all times.

Can the Mavic Pro do something similar?

With Litchi most definitely Yes.

In simplest form, open Litchi app, select WPT mode. Then in route settings tell it you want the gimbal to "focus on POI", tap on the map to create your POIs. Then draw with finger on map to create route. Press play. Mavic will take off, then auto start camera, fly to WPT 1 then fly the route smoothly panning the camera to view the closest POIs you created as it flies past. At the final WPT it can auto land, hover, RTH etc. Of course way more tune-able than that. But that's the basics.

I have about 30 Litchi routes saved. I can access and modify them from anywhere. Mission Hub on Computer, iPad or Android phone.

At the moment I have a need to photograph a nearby location at the same time each day for a survey. It is a a short 3km route that takes 5 minutes. All I have to do is open Litchi, select the route from my library, Hit play. Then sit back and watch totally hands off. Mavic takes off, flies and films entire route capturing footage of my POIs and comes home and lands. Turn everything off. That's it. Later in the day I pull the SD card and grab the images I need. Couldn't be simpler.

Wow, that's great. So it can definitely be done, you just need to buy the Litchi app. To be fair I had to do the same thing with the bebop (I really can't take that name seriously).

Appreciate the detailed info, Logger. Definitely makes me feel like I've settled on the right product for my needs.

With Litchi most definitely Yes.

In simplest form, open Litchi app, select WPT mode. Then in route settings tell it you want the gimbal to "focus on POI", tap on the map to create your POIs. Then draw with finger on map to create route. Press play. Mavic will take off, then auto start camera, fly to WPT 1 then fly the route smoothly panning the camera to view the closest POIs you created as it flies past. At the final WPT it can auto land, hover, RTH etc. Of course way more tune-able than that. But that's the basics.

I have about 30 Litchi routes saved. I can access and modify them from anywhere. Mission Hub on Computer, iPad or Android phone.

At the moment I have a need to photograph a nearby location at the same time each day for a survey. It is a a short 3km route that takes 5 minutes. All I have to do is open Litchi, select the route from my library, Hit play. Then sit back and watch totally hands off. Mavic takes off, flies and films entire route capturing footage of my POIs and comes home and lands. Turn everything off. That's it. Later in the day I pull the SD card and grab the images I need. Couldn't be simpler.

Sounds promising. I'm now at the point of doing a waypoint mission, Litchi seems to be the app to use. Any issues with it? I've read a few posts about app freezing up when a mission is stopped, or connections lost, anything unusual happen?

Hu guys! This litchi app seems to be really interesting, i haven't downloaded it yet but i would like an app to be able to do that, set a route and the focus and the drone flyes by its self shooting great photos and or video.

I also came across one app called "autopilot & autoframe" which as it says in the description does pretty much what litchy do, so i'm very curios to know which one is better.

What do you think which one is the best??

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Sounds promising. I'm now at the point of doing a waypoint mission, Litchi seems to be the app to use. Any issues with it? I've read a few posts about app freezing up when a mission is stopped, or connections lost, anything unusual happen?
I have been flying with Litchi Android app quite a lot. Just landed back from a 3 km route I run daily and the wind was gusting to 14.4m/s or 52kph. Did it without a hitch.

Initially I had some issues with the early Android Betas. It was a most educational experience for me. However in past few weeks the Android Litchi app has become stable as far as I can see.

You should read the Litchi manual and fly initial missions up close so you can see LOS how Litchi works.
Then if you intend to do WPT missions further afield, you want to consider how you might handle contingencies like if the application crashed and did not restart. A WPT mission further afield will take you beyond Line of Sight and eventually beyond Signal range. This can be disconcerting and you need to plan it carefully to mitigate risks.
Posted a mini mission guide in another thread. Take a look if you want to see a very brief overview of what works for me at

Reactions: J-Dub
Are the Litchi waypoint routes loaded to the aircraft or to the RC? I've seen questions about "if the app crashes"... but how does the aircraft fly out of signal range if the route is dependent on the app?

Are the Litchi waypoint routes loaded to the aircraft or to the RC? I've seen questions about "if the app crashes"... but how does the aircraft fly out of signal range if the route is dependent on the app?

The app programs the route prior to take off. Thereafter it resides on the aircraft and is autonomous. App can fail or signal loss can occur and it keeps on flying the mission. There a couple of exceptions though. WPT actions such as speed changes and taking photos need the app running and a signal to occur. Otheriwse they get skipped and the mission continues without them.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike