DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic approved for Agricultural applications.

Reactions: GreatScott
It should be real popular with small farmers in Colorado :D

Rob

Another application I thought of was for live stock monitoring in large fields and fence line inspections. Its so easy to fly a fence line and record the footage and show the land owner if there are any issues with damaged fencing.

Another application I thought of was for live stock monitoring in large fields and fence line inspections. Its so easy to fly a fence line and record the footage and show the land owner if there are any issues with damaged fencing.

Great idea. I use my Mavic to assist me with my land management duties, too. Having an aerial view helps out tremendously, with everything from monitoring property lines to observing the conditions of trees I am responsible for.

In addition to the farmlands I care for, I am also responsible for some other property my family owns. My great-grandfather started a resort community along the river where I live in the early 1900s, and today I am responsible for maintaining that community, which now has 400 homes on it filled with people, more than 2,000 residents. We still own and care for the land itself; they rent the land from us and erect their homes there to live. We maintain that land, the roadways, plus public common areas for the residents to enjoy.

From the air I can easily check on our road conditions after storms or to see if they need repairs, examine trees close-up high in the air that are in bad condition and may need to come down or be limbed up, photograph homes that are in disrepair that need to be addressed, document the condition of our beachlands for erosion and maintenance, and much more. Sometimes I just do flyovers to keep an eye on things, being able to sweep over the entire community from several vantage points I have located. I know the land like the back of my hand, having grown up on it, played on it, and raised with it all of my life, so I can easily identify any number of landmarks from above to keep my bearings. I'm actually on a first name basis now with some squirrels, eagles and deer!

Some elderly residents have actually told me my drone flyovers make them feel safer, as crime and drugs have unfortunately crept into our rural area, too, and are constantly being monitored by me personally since the nearest State Police barracks are about 15 miles away whereas I'm right there when things go down, which they sometimes do, especially during the peak summer tourism months. I just fly at a certain altitude right over the middle of the roads when they are empty, and from there I can see and focus on anything I choose to or that catches my attention. (I don't mind that they THINK I'm like Batman out there at night, constantly watching over them from above. Not a bad thing to have the bad guys out there hear on the streets. Like roaches, they tend to scatter, too, when a light is thrown on them.) I'm planning out a way to fly down each street and document every Lot and home upon it so I can view them via computer for enhanced record keeping, etc.

The application of drones to my line of work are only limited by my imagination. My beloved and honored Father, who I just lost about a year ago, had his private pilot's license and flew us around in his own Piper Cub Cherokee D. At 84 years old he LOVED high tech items and gadgets. I only wish he were alive to pilot a Mavic Pro. He would be in his glory.

However, I'm sure that wherever He is, He still is.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929