DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Car Charger is finicky!

videolester

Reactions
Went to charge the Mavic battery via the car charger, but for some reason the charger does not want to "connect" to the car power. Tried 4 different outlets in my 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe but none work. Other cig lighter devices I have work fine all over the car. However ... When I plug the Mavic car charger into a cig outlet on a car charger unit it fires up OK ???? My next test is to try another car to see if it works there. I suspect a "finicky" plug on the Mavic charger. I may end up changing the plug if that's the case. Anyone else experience any problems using the 12 volt car charger?

Yes, mine too. It will only charge with the car running. Apparently it is very sensitive to input voltage.

Thanks for your responses! That was INDEED what the culprit was! Was that mentioned anywhere in the printed material that the car must be running? If it was .. I missed it! Thanx again!

My guess: It probably needs a specific voltage to operate, say 13.0v. When a car is running the alternator provides around 13.8v to keep the battery charged, and provide for system loads. When the engine is not running, a lead acid battery will sometimes fall below this to perhaps 12.6v, or in the case of an older battery even 12.0v or less, which does not satisfy the requirements of the Mavic charger. In some cases, with a fully charged and brand new car battery, it might indeed provide enough voltage to charge your Mavic battery.

Last edited:
The car charger requires at least 13 v to start up. This is because the some voltage drops in the transformer to deliver clean power to the batteries. Otherwise the batteries may end up degrading faster if it receives an inconsistent voltage, which is something you don't want in a drone battery.

Well I have a 2011 Ford Fusion with a constantly on 12 plug. When the car is running the charger works fine but when it is off it will work for a few minutes and then the "save the battery" function of the charger will cause the battery to stop charging. Since these Mavic batteries are so small changing them will not kill my battery. Is there any way to disable this "save the battery" feature?

Well I have a 2011 Ford Fusion with a constantly on 12 plug. When the car is running the charger works fine but when it is off it will work for a few minutes and then the "save the battery" function of the charger will cause the battery to stop charging. Since these Mavic batteries are so small changing them will not kill my battery. Is there any way to disable this "save the battery" feature?
Unless you are an electrical engineer, or know how to modify circuits, no.

Should replace finicky with useless in your title. I have to be going hard on the accelerator to get the charger to start recharging the battery.

I totally avoid the whole issue about the car charger not working with the engine not running by using an inexpensive 400W power inverter that plugs into my cigarette socket. It produces 120V AC and allows me to use my charging hub just like at home.
Problem solved.
Just remember that this could lower your car's battery voltage to the point you can't start the car but if your battery is in good shape, recharging one or two Mavic batteries is no problem at all.

Inverter is a better idea - I find a hot battery just will NOT charge with the car charger at all PERIOD! Gotta wait until it cools down before it will start to charge through the car charger which kinda totally defeats the object...............doh

My Mavic and CS P4 charger both work fine when my car is just idling ...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000