DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Compass Calibration / Mavic set up...

sosmaverick

Reactions
Background info - hey this is my first post... I'm new to the drone world, always been into photography and more recently sony's mirrorless cameras but basically I'm well aware of the type of shots I want and how to get them... I'm just new to drones and the mavic is my first one (was previously never interested due to size but the mavic is a great travel companion).

Ok - so I've recently (3 weeks ago) bought the mavic during my 24 month rtw trip & travels for some aerial footage. After about 6 hours flight time, I've had no problems and the mavic has flown and shot perfectly. Just this morning however I was looking at doing an early morning flight on the roof terrace of my hotel. I was then given the 'mag interference, see app' error message.

Once on the app I was asked to calibrate the compass. I'd only just recently calibrated the compass on the beach a mile or two down and had flown it a number of times at that location without issues. At first during the rooftop issue, I noticed some satellite dishes and thought that could be the interference. On second thought however, I thought it may be the metal within the structure of the building that's causing the interference. I decided not to calibrate the compass without researching it first (as I do with most things new to me) but I did do a few little tests. I took off (stayed below a metre altitude) from a raised wooden sun lounger and was not given the mag interference error message. I did however notice the mavic drift to the right, which then prompted me to land the mavic and not risk a flight across sea water.

So, apologies for the long post, I've read a couple of threads (msingers was very useful - thank you) on calibrating the compass but I'm looking for more info on how to check the mavic compass is accurate and any other pre flight checks to ensure a safe flight for me and those around me. I'm also curious as to why the mavic can't be calibrated on the beach, in currently in Sri Lanka's south coast and am finding it difficult finding large open grass spaces as I would back in the uk. Further to this, this compass calibration is crucial as I'll be travelling and crossing thousands of miles and several countries where I'd look to fly the drone. I need to ensure it's safe to fly across many destinations in the world for maverick and those around it. If you have any other tips.. do's & donts that's also welcome.

P.S - a little of topic but if you're ever interested in viewing my work and seeing either footage or stills from the mavic.. you're more than welcome to check out my webpage (www.thesoulofadventure.com). It's best viewed on big screens.

Thanks for all posts and comments in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Your best confirmation of everything being in specs is the Go4 app, opening screen. It notifies you of any anomalies.

As for your compass (/s, I understand there are two now), if you're having start up errors, don't fly until you can get a clean calibration somewhere.

Again, you can confirm in the app, by looking at the nose direction on the map.

If in doubt, don't fly.

Good luck in your travels.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jridout