DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Crash

You should quit telling people this. According to DJI and the manual you're misleading them.

It clearly states not to calibrate the IMU.

Unless it asks you too!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
Yup, even if he's done it successfully with his other drones, he has no idea how the Mavic operates internally. DJI says NOT to do it unless prompted, why is this hard to understand?

You should quit telling people this. According to DJI and the manual you're misleading them.

It clearly states not to calibrate the IMU.

Unless it asks you too!

i wasn't telling people to do it...i was asking if you should...i said IS IT essential not IT IS essential...if im misleading by asking a question then sure i guess you're right...i honestly just think you read it wrong and didn't notice it was a question

Last edited:
Yup, even if he's done it successfully with his other drones, he has no idea how the Mavic operates internally. DJI says NOT to do it unless prompted, why is this hard to understand?

you too...i said IS IT ESSENTIAL not IT IS ESSENTIAL...therefore i was asking a question not telling people to do it...read carefully

Reactions: quesoburgesa
I assuming the DJI refresh care thing wont come into play as there is a defect in their product and warranty would fall into place.. Im still going to get the refresh care for peace of mind.. I read earlier someone mention State Farm but I think thats for State Farm US not Canada.. dont believe they insure drones here .. however i think zurich does insure ..

I assuming the DJI refresh care thing wont come into play as there is a defect in their product and warranty would fall into place.. Im still going to get the refresh care for peace of mind.. I read earlier someone mention State Farm but I think thats for State Farm US not Canada.. dont believe they insure drones here .. however i think zurich does insure ..

what is the defect you speak of...sorry i haven't heard

is it pretty much essential to calibrate the compass and imu before you fly the mavic for the first time...and how often should you have to do the both of those

The answer to that would be yes..... I'll explain why.

The IMU (Accelerometers and Gyroscopes are solid state sensors which) can be affected by a physical shock to the aircraft.
The magnetometer (Compass) is also a delicate sensor which can be influenced by strong magnetic fields.
Since you nor anybody have any knowledge whatsoever how your courier has treated your package containing your Mavic (and let's face it....have you seen how couriers handle packages?) Nor do you know that your Mavic hasn't been sat next to a sub woofer or similar either at the depot or in the truck it is sensible practice to set a 'baseline' for both sensors upon delivery of your shiny new toy!

Reactions: msinger

The IMU (Accelerometers and Gyroscopes are solid state sensors which) can be affected by a physical shock to the aircraft.
The magnetometer (Compass) is also a delicate sensor which can be influenced by strong magnetic fields.
Since you nor anybody have any knowledge whatsoever how your courier has treated your package containing your Mavic (and let's face it....have you seen how couriers handle packages?) Nor do you know that your Mavic hasn't been sat next to a sub woofer or similar either at the depot or in the truck it is sensible practice to set a 'baseline' for both sensors upon delivery of your shiny new toy!

u actually make a good point and yes i do know how they treat packages because i was a package handler at ups...loading the trucks...trust me if it was very heavy and wasn't much room left in the semi trailer and it didn't say fragile we just tossed it over packages into a pile

Reactions: The Editor
u actually make a good point and yes i do know how they treat packages because i was a package handler at ups...loading the trucks...trust me if it was very heavy and wasn't much room left in the semi trailer and it didn't say fragile we just tossed it over packages into a pile
I rest my case.... :D

Here's another video I just made with a remote calibration issue with how it registers stick input.

Reactions: ___
I rest my case.... :D

i'm glad you brought that up...they are kind of bashing me as if i said it's essential to do...i think they read it backwards...it was a question not a statement...but yeah i'm pretty sure i'm going to calibrate everything myself when it comes to 1000 dollars spent

Why would DJI state not to calibrate your IMU unless prompted? Wouldn't the system know if there was excessive shock upon boot up and thus prompt you to calibrate? Seems like DJI engineers would know best about the specific design parameters of the Mavic as well as shipping concerns.

Cough up 60 dollars a year for State Farm insurance on just the Mavic Pro. DJI Care Refresh does not cover water damage so if you crash into water your hosed. Also its 99 dollar to sign up for Care Refresh , but 79 dollars for the first replacement and 129 for the second. So its actually 99 dollars PLUS 79 dollars.

State Farm insures everything including water damage and more importantly theft. Call DJI about your Mavic being stolen and see what they tell you. :)

The Pilot in the video did not indicate if he did the latest firmware flash or if it was done by DJI before he reeived it. The firmware was put in place to help solve a GPS issue as well as taking off from an inside location and the flying outside. He also does not indicate if he calibrated the IMU when the Mavic was cold and also the compass before flight. Lots of factors that could have negatively effected his flight.

What exactly do you ask the State Farm agent for when you get the insurance?

Why would DJI state not to calibrate your IMU unless prompted? Wouldn't the system know if there was excessive shock upon boot up and thus prompt you to calibrate? Seems like DJI engineers would know best about the specific design parameters of the Mavic as well as shipping concerns.
Nope - they were wrong with their advice on earlier arcraft where they said to calibrate the compass at every new flying location. This caused more problems and flyaways because people just blindly followed those instructions without actually understanding why or the reason to calibrate.
Everyone just said "DJI told me to do it so I do it"

Nope - they were wrong with their advice on earlier arcraft where they said to calibrate the compass at every new flying location. This caused more problems and flyaways because people just blindly followed those instructions without actually understanding why or the reason to calibrate.
Everyone just said "DJI told me to do it so I do it"

since you're on that subject...once i do calibrate the compass how often should it be done? and yes i've read manuals for it and everything else...what i trust and always will trust more is a pilots experience and not always going by the book

I've spoken to a DJI representative at one point about calibrating my Inspire 1. They said with the newer versions of software, you don't need to calibrate unless it prompts you to do it. I did calibrate the compass before that flight.

since you're on that subject...once i do calibrate the compass how often should it be done?

You do not need to do it again unless you update firmware or you travel a large distance (several hundred miles) from your location or the mod values in the app are showing wildly out of whack values.
They should fluctuate (they will never be stable) between around 1350 - 1600.

I have explained this in detail over on InspirePilots. :)

You do not need to do it again unless you update firmware or you travel a large distance (several hundred miles) from your location or the mod values in the app are showing wildly out of whack values.
They should fluctuate (they will never be stable) between around 1350 - 1600.

I have explained this in detail over on InspirePilots. :)

sounds good...hopefully when i get mine and i calibrate the compass i'm in the right place to do it...apparently it can make the drone whacky after calibrating it around metals and things...i've had many drones but the mavic is my first when it comes to this type of tech...i've mostly had racers and some cheap ones to practice manual flying on...so when it comes to manual flight id say i'm pretty solid

Reactions: The Editor
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580