DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Crash

it dosnt matter how much practice or skill a person has.. if the automatics fail and there is no manual control input the aircraft will do exactly what it wants to.. which is ether fly off into the distance and crash or crash near by.. what goes up must come down.. not always in a controlled fashion..

trog

it dosnt matter how much practice or skill a person has.. if the automatics fail and there is no manual control input the aircraft will do exactly what it wants to.. which is ether fly off into the distance and crash or crash near by.. what goes up must come down.. not always in a controlled fashion..

trog

I couldn't agree with you more!

I couldn't agree with you more!

exactly why i truly don't know and cannot believe why there is not an atti manual function for the pilot to use...i mean for god sake i don't have mine yet but jesus we should be able to control our 1000 dollar drone manually on command whenever we want to...gps and sensors and everything else are great but we should have the ability to fully over ride that whenever we want to

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

exactly why i truly don't know and cannot believe why there is not an atti manual function for the pilot to use...i mean for god sake i don't have mine yet but jesus we should be able to control our 1000 dollar drone manually on command whenever we want to...gps and sensors and everything else are great but we should have the ability to fully over ride that whenever we want to

If I were flying my Inspire 1 I would have immediately switched to Atti mode. I was helpless and had no choice.

If I were flying my Inspire 1 I would have immediately switched to Atti mode. I was helpless and had no choice.

truly i believe you're most likely a well informed pilot and this thing went haywire without a way to manually control it...i mean these ppl first getting it including you will probably figure out ways to recover the mavic but that's not all in the mavic manuals lol...what it did to you was nuts and honestly i cant see how it would've been pilot error because i've looked at your logs and stuff and you were doing what you could with a new aircraft trying to stop it from happening..you really didn't hesitate much...i don't know whether atti only requires a firmware update or what needs to happen to add it...i mean honestly with my racers i can plug it into a computer and create an atti setting myself if it didn't have one which they all do lol...i believe some firmware/software updates could possibly add atti functioning to the mavic but you know i'm not a genius with drones...but really it seems like you did what you could and i believe had the mavic had atti support you would've corrected the problem quickly...i saw nothing that leads to you being a bad pilot what so ever. ..oh and people are trying to claim that the compass wasn't calibrated correctly...well you aren't the first one this has happened to and i know a couple pilots that this happened to who know full well how to calibrate a compass correctly...i don't believe the compass was the problem...and if the compass was the problem i'd say there's something wrong with the compass and not the pilot who calibrated it lol...which i believe the mavic has two compasses

i have a couple of fixed wing camera planes.. i dont like the term drone.. they have three switchable modes.. fully manual.. one that keeps the aircraft at a fixed height and heading but still has pilot input and RTH..

when in RTH mode the pilot has no control imput at all.. i am only guessing here but i think DJI are trying to make the mavic "novice pilot" idiot proof.. they know that many of the buyers wont have any manual flying skills at all..

automatics are okay until they fail.. in the case of this "crash" they do seem to have failed..

trog

ps.. the mavic (when it arrives) will be my first multi rotor flying machine.. i will be to a certain extent be reliant on its "automatics".. he he

i have a couple of fixed wing camera planes.. i dont like the term drone.. they have three switchable modes.. fully manual.. one that keeps the aircraft at a fixed height and heading but still has pilot input and RTH..

when in RTH mode the pilot has no control imput at all.. i am only guessing here but i think DJI are trying to make the mavic "novice pilot" idiot proof.. they know that many of the buyers wont have any manual flying skills at all..

automatics are okay until they fail.. in the case of this "crash" they do seem to have failed..

trog

i don't mind idiot proof at all and making it for novice flyers...but the fact is dji is a leading drone manufacturer and everyone knows gps can fail...there should always be a way to manually fully take control whether the goal was idiot proof or not...sure novice flyers go ahead and buy this because it looks so steady and easy with gps and tripod mode and all...but it doesn't matter...us experienced pilots who of course will buy this drone deserve to be able to take the control into our own hands if need be...the novices can crash it all day long i don't care...they should've learned and done research before thinking this thing would always work the way you want it to...but us who fly these things respectively deserve a function to take over control and the mavic lacks that until i hear different...i cant wait to get mine and there has to be some way to take control of this thing and just isn't figured out yet or maybe software and firmware can fix it i don't know...but this drone should've never been conveyed as something a novice could fly...with its capability no novice should even touch the mavic

...but this drone should've never been conveyed as something a novice could fly...with its capability no novice should even touch the mavic

QFT.

One note however; if you look at DJI's product evolution this is exactly what they're trying to achieve -- an idiot proof airborne camera.

Geo Fencing, mandatory updates, closed source development with a highly controlled API layer and the slow removal of manual control from the operator proves this point I think -- This makes me weary of DJI, but the list of features (on the Mavic) is simply too good to ignore for anyone like myself seriously thinking of stepping into the hobby.

Still, it is now quite clear that the Mavic showcased prematurely (aggressively) in order to derail Karma's release and I'm glad I held off on the preorder rush (which turned into a debacle). Now, it looks like I'll have to wait for the open-BETA to run its course before I reconsider (yet again) on making the Mavic purchase.

Best of luck, see you in 4~ 6 months (maybe).

Last edited:
Firstly, he should have never compass calibrated standing on a car park - they are full of heavy rebar and seriously skew compass due to the flux distortion - he may have even calibrated standing next to his car.... another no no.
Compass calibration should be done well away from ANY metallic (ferrous) items which can affect the module/baseline flux values. Once you have a good calibration.....LEAVE IT ALONE!
Secondly, he should have checked the mod values for both the IMU and the compass via the sensor screen - this should be part of a pre flight checklist in all cases.
Thirdly, he should have thoroughly familiarised himself with the platform and flying characteristics in a place well away from built up areas, traffic, buildings, cars etc.
He had no flying hours on the aircraft and therefore could not possibly know how the platform performed on a longer endurance flight or had an opportunity to check motor temps (in case one was binding) upon landing - he simply popped it in the air on day two and flew over a freeway!
Does the Mavic have to be calibrated every time you fly it?

Does the Mavic have to be calibrated every time you fly it?

imu they claim do not calibrate until prompted...it's your choice whether you want to do that without being prompted to do it...dji says not to unless prompted to...and compass calibration i would do as soon as you get it...but unless you drive about 100 or so miles away from where you calibrated it then the compass calibration as far as i know should be fine...you can calibrate the compass before every flight if you want but i don't think you need to unless you move very far from where you calibrated it...this is what i've read though so maybe someone more experienced with dji drones can help more...this is just what i've seen other veteran dji pilots say

No DJI multimotor has to be calibrated every time you fly it.

I disagree. The DJI MAVIC and P4 do not have to calibrated every time for a good flight!

I almost NEVER, calibrate. Although I see plenty of people that do.

I operate under the theory that if it's good it's good. IMU and Compass.

Reactions: The Editor
I posted the below in another post but after reading most of this post, I ran into something similar. I did do a compass calibration before flight.

I was flying my Mavic yesterday for the first time outside as I wanted to test the camera out and lost control of it. I was trying to descend as a flock of Vultures were coming near and the Mavic would not respond. It started spinning back and forth and not matter what I did, it didn't respond. I decided to push the rth button and at first it didn't do anything but then it started to come down and land. I was probably flying it for about 15 minutes before this happen without any issues. In the video clip, it starts at .48 and you can see that it rotates for while and then comes down. It did not go to the take off spot, instead, it came straight down. In the video, I was standing at the takeoff spot and moved to where the drone was to attempt a grab landing because I wasn't sure what it was going to do. I don't know what the issue was but hopefully it doesn't happen again. I'm going to try to calibrate the controller and see what happens.

YouTube video of the flight. I uploaded the flight log too if anyone is interested.

You should send the Flight data to DJI .. or post it on their forum.. I'm sure they would be interested to analyze it.

Reactions: ThreeGs
This is maybe a long shot, the antennas on the RC are suppose to be straight out and parallel to each other and if they are tilted towards each other or touching this will weaken the signal and potentially impact the beam of the signal. Is this a possibility for maybe some of the the lack of control (poor signal intermitant commands confusing the A/I? It seems all the cases are when the Mavic is close to controller/operator. No reports of this happening at mid to long distance. Maybe it might be a idea to have a brace between the antennas to prevent them leaning towards each other.

Just a uneducated guess so maybe the controller antennas are creating their own interference. It is right on Page 5 of the manual warning to keep the antennas parallel or it will cause a weak signal. One might suggest then why is it not a problem at distance maybe the signal beam is wider at distance and narrow in-close.

Just a uneducated theory

I posted the below in another post but after reading most of this post, I ran into something similar. I did do a compass calibration before flight.

I was flying my Mavic yesterday for the first time outside as I wanted to test the camera out and lost control of it. I was trying to descend as a flock of Vultures were coming near and the Mavic would not respond. It started spinning back and forth and not matter what I did, it didn't respond. I decided to push the rth button and at first it didn't do anything but then it started to come down and land. I was probably flying it for about 15 minutes before this happen without any issues. In the video clip, it starts at .48 and you can see that it rotates for while and then comes down. It did not go to the take off spot, instead, it came straight down. In the video, I was standing at the takeoff spot and moved to where the drone was to attempt a grab landing because I wasn't sure what it was going to do. I don't know what the issue was but hopefully it doesn't happen again. I'm going to try to calibrate the controller and see what happens.

YouTube video of the flight. I uploaded the flight log too if anyone is interested.

Did you calibrate the compass on concrete next to those two cars? Could be part or your problem.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute