DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic destroying phones?

MarkO

Reactions
I've only had my Mavic for about a month and already I've noticed the phone connection is a terrible design as it puts a lot of pressure on the phone side micro USB adapter. Now my connections are loose and causing me to lose connection to the phone, not to mention charging my phone has become a chore.

What are folks doing to remedy this situation?

I have a Motorola Droid Maxx and the way the back is curved, I was having trouble with the connection to the phone. My phone just won't fit really well inside the clamps on the remote. So I went on Amazon and ordered a micro usb to Female usb cable and then just plugged my regular phone charging cable into that to connect to the remote. It means you have some cords dangling off the remote, depending on how long your charging cable is, but I don't have the connectivity problems I used to have with the little short cable that DJI provides. In clamping my phone in too, I can just clamp to the corners of the phone instead of having to get the fatter center portion into the clamps. Works really well. Also if you have an Otterbox or a Lifeproof case on your phone you can still use it with the remote.

Reactions: Sjez and deansta
This is honestly a problem with micro USB in general. I had numerous phones where the port got lose from daily charging. Best would be to get a right angle (which I think is what comes with it) cable and seat it as solid as you can. But again the design of the port itself sucks because there is VERY little anchoring it to the motherboard.

I also have a problem getting my phone into the clamps on the controller, and getting the USB to stay in. I decided to buy an extender and this works really well. The controller clamps on to the mount, my phone just pops in to the mount really easily, it rotates and adjusts infinitely, and I can put the micro USB in after putting the phone in the mount. No pressure on the Micro USB plug. I just needed to buy a longer Micro USB cable and plug it into the USB port on the bottom of the controller.

Amazon.com: Tablet Mount Holder, Phone Mount Bracket,for DJI Mavic Pro, Flexible 4-12 Inches,with Rotating, for DJI Mavic pro: Electronics

I also have a problem getting my phone into the clamps on the controller, and getting the USB to stay in. I decided to buy an extender and this works really well. The controller clamps on to the mount, my phone just pops in to the mount really easily, it rotates and adjusts infinitely, and I can put the micro USB in after putting the phone in the mount. No pressure on the Micro USB plug. I just needed to buy a longer Micro USB cable and plug it into the USB port on the bottom of the controller.

Amazon.com: Tablet Mount Holder, Phone Mount Bracket,for DJI Mavic Pro, Flexible 4-12 Inches,with Rotating, for DJI Mavic pro: Electronics

I have a RAM X mount for my phone that I use for other purposes and all I would need to do is make some kind of board to fit in the middle of my remote clamps and then I could mount my RAM arm to the board. The only thing I don't like about these is the fact that it either covers my remote to where I can't see it, or if I did adjust it to where I could see it, I would think I would be over extending my arms holding the thing in a position that was un natural or not comfortable. I dunno I may go home and just try this tonight with my mount. I could use a piece of thick plexi glass for the base plate.

I have a RAM X mount for my phone that I use for other purposes and all I would need to do is make some kind of board to fit in the middle of my remote clamps and then I could mount my RAM arm to the board. The only thing I don't like about these is the fact that it either covers my remote to where I can't see it, or if I did adjust it to where I could see it, I would think I would be over extending my arms holding the thing in a position that was un natural or not comfortable. I dunno I may go home and just try this tonight with my mount. I could use a piece of thick plexi glass for the base plate.

Yes thats a downside of the extended mount, it partially obscures the view of the controller, but I rarely look at my controller when Im flying unless the aircraft is not flying well, or if Im getting an error message on the app. All of the information thats displayed on the controller is duplicated on the app.

Appreciate the options. I ended up just crimping the connector and removing the rubber rectangular gasket that holds it in place. No more stress on the connector and it did not lose connection. So I guess problem somewhat solved.

My phone is a Samsung S4 and it really doesn't seem to have the horsepower to run the DJI Go4 app. I'm probably looking to upgrade my phone now.

Well, while this seems to be a drastic solution, I have decided to trim the rubber "teeth" in remote's clamps as my LG had no way to fit in. This in result released the tension on micro USB socket that works now quite nice. I also designed rised Huawei tablet holder that fits the trimmed "teeth" and I'm all set up this way.

I have the Moto Z Play, which is USB-C, and with my case I actually couldn't use the little clip that holds the plug in the slide (on the controller, where you can slide the plug up and down in the track).

So I ended up just leaving it without the slide clip, and i kinda pull the plug out of the clamp to plug in, then just gently slide the phone in (it won't go all the way, so it's kind of just the edge. this also allows the fingerprint scanner to still be accessible). That being said, usb-c in general feels like a snugger, more secure fit.

Guys I told that also in an other topic. First pull out the cable, connect the phone and then just gently close the clamps.
01a9ebd64dfa939fcb76a63e14a95e83.jpg
e85f3117f12fae1a930c7acebe8bb5ec.jpg

Reactions: Sjez and AAPhoto
Guys I told that also in an other topic. First pull out the cable, connect the phone and then just gently close the clamps.
It's just me or anybody think that little piece of plastic that holds the cable inside the controller's clamp is a rubbish?
That crap makes all the process sooooo tricky.

It's just me or anybody think that little piece of plastic that holds the cable inside the controller's clamp is a rubbish?

I believe the last few posts have shown exactly that :p

I have never used that clip, but only used my phone 1 time when I first got my Mavic (samsung galaxy S6) which leads me to a question sort of listed in this post, I got a Galaxy Tab A7, for the sole purpose of using with the Mavic.. but seem to be having some speed issues. The video freezes from time to time, the screen has gone to a black pic but still shows the HUD info, and tapping the controls sometimes has a very slow response, example- I was in gesture mode, which I could not get to work so I tapped "Stop" about 5 times before it finally stopped, and then trying a few other smart modes it was a long lag between taps before the next menu.. this of course is not all the time, but about half. is this the APP or the Tablet ? hate to think I wasted money.

bc069baccc77738ad975861df4285072.jpg

Picked these two up from ebay for about $10 and u use the bottom usb on controller.
It swivels and bends

The only thing that it's good for, is to align the cable with small opening when you close the clumps and nothing else.

Reactions: cjsecus
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580