DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic drifting left or right while flying foward

lpollock

Reactions
There have been a few times where I want to fly straight at something a ways off, e.g., a waterfall. I have crosshairs visible in the center of the screen, so I'll position the crosshairs exactly over the subject, and then simply do a right stick up to fly straight forward.

The problem is, rather than fly straight at the subject, the Mavic will drift horizontally ever so slightly (I've seen both left and right). I have to do little yaw adjustments to keep the subject in the center...which basically ruins the video.

So a few questions. Assuming everything is working properly, is it unrealistic to expect the subject to stay deadlocked in the center of the screen if you start from like 50, or 100 feet away? What could be causing the drift? Is this just wind? Does my Mavic require an IMU/compass calibration? Props? When it just hovers after I first take off, it seems pretty rock solid.

Anyway, any help/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

I guess is only the wind. No need for IMU/compass calibration unless the app is asking you to do.
Also, fly it right in front of you at a safe distance and see if the props are leveled.

There have been a few times where I want to fly straight at something a ways off, e.g., a waterfall. I have crosshairs visible in the center of the screen, so I'll position the crosshairs exactly over the subject, and then simply do a right stick up to fly straight forward.

The problem is, rather than fly straight at the subject, the Mavic will drift horizontally ever so slightly (I've seen both left and right). I have to do little yaw adjustments to keep the subject in the center...which basically ruins the video.

Mine does this sometimes. It has not done it calm conditions so it is probably the wind. Maybe wind combined with less than optimal gps reception.

So a few questions. Assuming everything is working properly, is it unrealistic to expect the subject to stay deadlocked in the center of the screen if you start from like 50, or 100 feet away? What could be causing the drift? Is this just wind? Does my Mavic require an IMU/compass calibration? Props? When it just hovers after I first take off, it seems pretty rock solid.

The camera is not always pointing straight ahead. There is stabilization on the horizontal plane as well as vertical. Most likely the camera is just pointing slightly off center. You can recalibrate the gimbal if needed to make it point camera more straight and level.

Reactions: ed1nh0
The camera is not always pointing straight ahead. There is stabilization on the horizontal plane as well as vertical. Most likely the camera is just pointing slightly off center. You can recalibrate the gimbal if needed to make it point camera more straight and level.

No doubt that this can happen, but my Mavic sometimes definitely tracks off to one side. At first I suspected I may have accidentally been holding the right stick off center but after having it happen a few times and paying closer attention it is apparent that the Mavic truly does drift to one side on occasion. You can tell by watching it fly away from you and having to hold the right stick the opposite direction in order to get it to stay on a straight line.

Reactions: _supdns
No doubt that this can happen, but my Mavic sometimes definitely tracks off to one side. At first I suspected I may have accidentally been holding the right stick off center but after having it happen a few times and paying closer attention it is apparent that the Mavic truly does drift to one side on occasion. You can tell by watching it fly away from you and having to hold the right stick the opposite direction in order to get it to stay on a straight line.
In that case I would recalibrate the IMU, compass, and controller sticks. That way you've covered everything. Be sure to do compass calibration outside away from any metal or even sidewalk which might have metal rebarb in it.

GPS is only accurate +/- 1.5m. Since the Mavic is always in GPS mode it's not always super accurate in a straight line. That combined with the camera gimbal always making corrections (that you don't see) is why it seems to drift in a straight line. I've tested this with lining up a course lock shot to fly through the gap in a set of trees that were probably 15ft apart. Fly forward and it's fine but flying back along with what's supposed to be that same course will deviate quite a bit. At least enough that if you assumed it would follow the same exact accurate course heading in reverse you'd end up hitting the tree.

Reactions: Bugg77
GPS is only accurate +/- 1.5m. Since the Mavic is always in GPS mode it's not always super accurate in a straight line. That combined with the camera gimbal always making corrections (that you don't see) is why it seems to drift in a straight line. I've tested this with lining up a course lock shot to fly through the gap in a set of trees that were probably 15ft apart. Fly forward and it's fine but flying back along with what's supposed to be that same course will deviate quite a bit. At least enough that if you assumed it would follow the same exact accurate course heading in reverse you'd end up hitting the tree.

Interesting. So it sounds like I should try recalibrating everything...but if it still does it, it's just a limitation of the technology. Kind of a bummer if that's the case, but I'll try and see what happens. Thanks!

Interesting. So it sounds like I should try recalibrating everything...but if it still does it, it's just a limitation of the technology. Kind of a bummer if that's the case, but I'll try and see what happens. Thanks!

No, those actions will fix it. I had the same issue way back. After calibration, no issue.

You need to have all 4 arms folded in for the IMU cal, so I'd say no to the extensions. I recently shot some video and sped the footage up between 300%-400% for all the shots and had no drifting, which becomes very obvious at higher speed changes. So it's definitely not an issue with all Mavics. I did a very cold IMU cal when I first received mine (17°F), my warm up times were excessive out of box (over 3 minutes). And have only done 2 compass calibrations, when I took it to Africa and when I got back home.

Personally I think the Mavic should be calibrated right off the bat when we get them. There is an allowable tolerance on the calibrations and they have to be off a certain amount before the message appears. But then I tend to be a perfectionist and drive myself and others crazy sometimes. LOL

Try "Tap Fly" in P mode and see if the behavior changes. I agree that gimbal calibration is the place to start. Also, I suspect anything less than 8-10 satellites or poor satellite geometry also may be to blame.

The in the compass section of the manual it says to land immediately if drifting occurs.

So it’s not a “wind” issue it’s obviously a compass issue. So land and calibrate the compass.

I can agree, my mavic does the same thing, and the affects are magnified in sport mode. IMU, compass and wind were all non factors.

Glad i'm not the only one having this problem. I see a lot of videos on YouTube / results on Google, from others with the same issue.

It's nothing to do with the gimbal, it's the Mavic that drifts to the left. Even on calm or no wind days. I first checked the props, but they're brand new noise reduced ordered directly from DJI, they're all fine. Nothing added to the mavic, no mods or anything like that.

Haven't run a calibration for a while, so il give that a go on my next flight.

Aside from that, anyone have any other ideas?

Hi i had a seme problem i had to send it back after trying all theyr tips. Nothing helped it was drifting either to left or right when hover and it couldn’t fly straight. Ill keep u post it when they get back to me

Hi i had a seme problem i had to send it back after trying all theyr tips. Nothing helped it was drifting either to left or right when hover and it couldn’t fly straight. Ill keep u post it when they get back to me

Ok, thanks.

Hi.
I have the same symptom. And when MP is hovering, they "float" in most cases on the left side.
Interestingly, after a moment of flight its almost stops.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580