Mavic drifting, shaking, etc.

Discussion in 'Mavic Pro Help' started by barefootFPV, Nov 17, 2016.

1. barefootFPV

barefootFPV Member

Hey all,

Got my Mavic yesterday (woo!). When taking it on its first two flights today, I noticed something weird. When reviewing my footage from the 1st flight, I thought I just had a bad case of rolling shutter (720p30 shooting towards the sun).

However, when taking it out on its second flight today (sunset), the Mavic was VERY shaky / unstable. I'm getting a ton of drift both close to the ground and up in the air. The drone doesn't seem to be flat and locked in like I've seen in most of the videos. In fact, different arms are randomly bobbing up and down.

Now, this is my first DJI product, but I've built ~15 racing drones. My first thoughts are IMU calibration or prop balance, but the props are brand new and the app isn't prompting me for a calibration.

Any thoughts?

***EDIT: IMU calibration fixed everything!

#1 barefootFPV, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  2. Chickenhoss

Chickenhoss Member

Lots of people having the same issue - look back through past threads. Sounds like a firmware update and a stick calibration usually does the trick.

3. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Member

As many of you who are avid flyers and pilots, would know, your aircraft IMU can be disrupted for many reasons even when the aircraft is turned off. Who only knows? Perhaps, it had a bad trip from DJI to your home and out of calibration from the journey. The shipping process can be brutal during transit.
    It is common sinse to upgrade and recalibrate every thing before flying for the first time even if the go app says so or not. Better to have that piece of mind.

#3 Blue Bird, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  4. barefootFPV

barefootFPV Member

Yup - that must have been it. IMU was way out of calibration, but below the threshold to prompt for a recalibration. Did it anyways and we're flying steady now!