DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic dropped mid air -> destroyed

This sucks - it does indeed look like a low voltage cutout which I agree should not be possible as the firmware should reduce the demand on the battery to prevent such a failure.

Hopefully your DAT file is sufficient that you can demand to be made whole by DJI.

Is this covered under DJI's standard warranty or would this be DJI Refresh?

Thank you all for your investigations. My main concern is to know if i did something wrong. Hopefully nobody got injured !
This is a serious issue and i hope they will give me another Mavic (and maybe ND 8 filter :( )
I had 2 high wind warning and that's why i was flying carefully, not far and in my sight.

The next step is to open a RMA , and provide them DAT, flight logs ?

Is this covered under DJI's standard warranty or would this be DJI Refresh?
As i live in Switzerland, i was not even allowed to buy a refresh package. So if the warranty doesn't cover it, i won't pay for a repair. Everything is brocken, gimbal, props, antennas, frame etc...

Last edited:
As i live in Switzerland, i was not even to buy a refresh package. So if the warranty doesn't cover it, i won't pay for a repair. Everything is brocken, gimbal, props, antennas, frame etc...

I have never actually seen DJI's standard warranty that comes with any Mavic, -- only the DJI Refresh add-on. I assume it is for at least a year.

This for Camhill not the OP, I was confused by a derailment in this thread. Oops.

I have been contemplating a similar flight through a short tunnel under a footbridge into a lake.
Looking at possible scenarios I decided not to. It was too risky.
Being low to the water, under a bridge and also going slow poses a lot of problems.
My feeling is that you lost GPS under the bridge with metal above you and no compass also.
This would have been the cause of the drop.
It would be too much of a coincidence to blame battery malfunction or other failure for the cause of this I feel.

So you actually think it is a lot lower then 11v?

At least my healthy drones logs show the voltage hovering around 10v regularly under heavy load and mine hasn't dropped out of the sky yet after 1300km flown.

This for Camhill not the OP, I was confused by a derailment in this thread. Oops.

I have been contemplating a similar flight through a short tunnel under a footbridge into a lake.
Looking at possible scenarios I decided not to. It was too risky.
Being low to the water, under a bridge and also going slow poses a lot of problems.
My feeling is that you lost GPS under the bridge with metal above you and no compass also.
This would have been the cause of the drop.
It would be too much of a coincidence to blame battery malfunction or other failure for the cause of this I feel.

A couple things on your post. It would good to know what exact settings were set before putting too much into the subject. We need to see the dat files for each flight that is in question.

At least my healthy drones logs show the voltage hovering around 10v regularly under heavy load and mine hasn't dropped out of the sky yet after 1300km flown.

At this point it would be good if you knew the current versions of the aircraft & remote controller firmware, the app version, and the battery firmware.

If we could use data to pinpoint what has been taking place, at least we could possibly help steer those interested away from the mess.

In my case it was .700 fw remote and craft. For battery, i am not sure how to check that). Using ipad mini 2, go 4 app version 4.0.8

Reactions: Lutzdrone
Flying under a bridge means it could have lost GPS signals. Then it goes into ATTI mode, and if it was windy and/or if it got confused, and since you were very low to the water, the sensors sometimes mistake that for you are inches above the ground, then it automatically goes into landing mode, and thinks it is landing onto ground, when it is landing into water. Doesn't help that under the bridge the lighting conditions are suboptimal, and in the low light conditions the Mavic's downward sensors are not reliable sometimes. It seems like the perfect storm of conditions that caused your Mavic to crash into water. Very tragic. Unfortunately, I've been flying Mavic for a long time, and still I would not have taken that sort of risk that you seemed to have taken in the video.

It is not a good idea to fly under a low bridge, especially where there is nothing but water underneath. If you really wanted to do it, you should have at least turned off downward sensors, the water plays tricks on the sensors sometimes at low altitudes.
This is also documented in the manuals that when flying over water it is recommended to turn off the bottom sensors as the mavic will get confused and might drop. I have experienced it myself and hit ascend immediately out of fear!

I believe it is also noted by dji somewhere that flying under bridges is not recommended that in case remote signal is lost mavic will automatically enter rth and will ascend and hit the bridge as it doesnt have sensors above. Gps signal may also be lost making mavic harder to control and cause pilot to panic.

WOw. seems like being too close to the water confused the mavic and it wewnt in for a landing

I have read several comments from users who say to turn off the "landing protection" when flying over water, and blame that feature for unexplained "landings" on open water.

Could be a faulty batteries' on/switch that triggered the shutdown, hence new flight data was created because the aircraft restarted itself

I this post is in regards to bridge post . I've read best to turn off bottom sensors & change return to home to hover as when signal lost it will rise & hit bridge if left Rth. Drone will go in atti mode so you would have to control drone functions as no gps. I have not had balls to go under bridge over water & I will try first on bridge over land first to see how drone acts before I do over water. Sorry for your loss. I hope you were able to recover mavic but from looks of things maybe not.

Ok this is just my few cents worth. My opinion by looking at ur logs... I hate to be the one that points this out but... It would appear that you had a defective battery. The sudden voltage drop would cause the drone to fall. The software then re initialises the battery to check voltage and then restarts. I would definately take this up with DJI. Battery wasn't dropped or fully discharged at some stage ?

Ok this is just my few cents worth. My opinion by looking at ur logs... I hate to be the one that points this out but... It would appear that you had a defective battery. The sudden voltage drop would cause the drone to fall. The software then re initialises the battery to check voltage and then restarts. I would definately take this up with DJI. Battery wasn't dropped or fully discharged at some stage ?
Hello, thank you for your analysis.
The battery was never fully discharged and had never been dropped. I take great care of my stuff. The battery was charged the same morning, 4 hours prior to the flight.

I've oppened a case at DJI, they are currently analysing the log synced from my account. I hope they accept their fault and that they replace the drone and the battery

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giku