DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MAVIC FILTERS - Opinions On These Filters

MrMavic

Reactions
First of all, I am just now learning about filters, so please bear with me and all silly questions.

These questions are for you Mavic Pros out there who shoot for the best photo and video you can get.
I was reading up on some of the Amazon reviews and found that Polar Pro filters for the Mavic rated very low with a lot of 1 Star reviews. Mainly because they are too heavy and over load the gimbal. I also read that their Cinema line was better, but many of the guys are afraid to try them after the first Polar Pro filter for Mavic blunder.

I have read that the Taco filters are pretty decent and won't over load the gimbal, but not sure about the HD quality of their glass.

I came across these today (Link Below) on Amazon an I am wondering if anyone here has tried them. Also, do any of you here know where I can get just a good ND8/PL single filter?

Lastly, do you guys recommend a ND/PL combo filter?

The problem I see with a Circular PL filter is "How do you rotate the filter when it is in the air?
We all know that they have to be rotated to the correct angle for each shot or video angle.
Isn't this kind of like a screen door on a submarine? You have it, but you can't use it.

Amazon.com: Hooshion RC Quadcopter Lens Filter Accessories ND4 8 16 32 CPL UV HD Filter Set for DJI MAVIC Pro Camera Lens UV Circular Polarizer Neutral Density Filters Parts (G-HD ND16): Automotive

Screen Shot 2017-03-20 at 4.08.56 PM.png

Last edited:
First of all, I am just now learning about filters, so please bear with me and all silly questions.

These questions are for you Mavic Pros out there who shoot for the best photo and video you can get.
I was reading up on some of the Amazon reviews and found that Polar Pro filters for the Mavic rated very low with a lot of 1 Star reviews. Mainly because they are too heavy and over load the gimbal. I also read that their. Cinema line was better, but many of the guys are afraid to try them after the first Polar Pro filter for Mavic blunder.

I have read that the Taco filters are pretty decent and won't over load the gimbal, but not a lot on the HD quality of their glass.

I came across these today (Link Below) on Amazon an I am wondering if anyone here has tried them. Also, do any of you here know where I can get just a ND8/PL single filter?

Lastly, do you guys recommend a ND/PL combo filter?

The problem I see with a Circular PL filter is "How do you rotate the filter when it is in the air?
We all know that they have to be rotated to the correct angle for each shot or video angle.
Isn't this kind of like a screen door on a submarine? You have it, but you can't use it.

Amazon.com: Hooshion RC Quadcopter Lens Filter Accessories ND4 8 16 32 CPL UV HD Filter Set for DJI MAVIC Pro Camera Lens UV Circular Polarizer Neutral Density Filters Parts (G-HD ND16): Automotive

View attachment 8980

Thank you for your post
I am like you looking for answer about filters the filter on amazon you posted seems good.
I think I will go for 16 and 32 One.

Reactions: bleeyw and MrMavic
For the polarised ones you have to wait for the gimbal to initialise and then fit them to get them on the right way around. Hold the PL filters up to the sky and you can work out by looking through it which way up they should be fitted by rotating them in front of your eye.

Hi MrMavic.
First up. The original PolarPro Mavic ND filters were no blunder as they stated in the instructions that they had to be fitted after start up. This was widely available news on the internet too. The people who bought them and complained about motor overloads and failed gimbal calibrations clearly didn't read the instructions.
The later series PolarPro filters were made so they can be installed before start up.
I have both and they are of a very high quality. More so the later versions. Highly recommend them.
As for an CP ND. You have to plan your shot and install the filter at the correct angle before flight. You will only achieve polarisation at this angle, so if you pan the camera during flight you will lose this effect.
If I want to use the CP filter I hold the filter up to my eye and rotate to get the desired polarisation, then fit to the gimbal at this angle.

Hi I just got this set. I haven't tried them yet . So the Pl filter you need to look through it to see that it has the desired effect that you want ie. warmer colour, cooler colour. glare from water . then keep that position and push it onto the camera. I don't think i will be using this much . hold a pl filter in fron of a tv or computer monitor and turn it you will see the screen go black that is when it is in the correct position . close enough anyway. I don't know what all the fuss with filters being on during calibration because I change the filters on the run as the sun rises anyway.

Hi I just got this set. I haven't tried them yet . So the Pl filter you need to look through it to see that it has the desired effect that you want ie. warmer colour, cooler colour. glare from water . then keep that position and push it onto the camera. I don't think i will be using this much . hold a pl filter in fron of a tv or computer monitor and turn it you will see the screen go black that is when it is in the correct position . close enough anyway. I don't know what all the fuss with filters being on during calibration be cause i change filter on the run as the sun rises anyway.
Love the idea of holding it in front of a TV. Might try that and then mark them with a pen.

Reactions: mstampfli
Thanks you guys. The more I read I think I'm just going to go with the ND4 and ND8. I live between the 45th and 46th parallel and the sun isn't as bright here as it would be in Southern US, and I'm thinking the ND4 on cloudy days or at dusk / dawn, and on sunny days the ND8 would probably be dark enough.
So Glen T, how do we know the difference between the early Polar Pro and the newer one? I sure as heck don't want to have to go through the take it off, then put it back on every time. I especially saw a lot of complaints on that.

Thanks you guys. The more I read I think I'm just going to go with the ND4 and ND8. I live between the 45th and 46th parallel and the sun isn't as bright here as it would be in Southern US, and I'm thinking the ND4 on cloudy days or at dusk / dawn, and on sunny days the ND8 would probably be dark enough.
So Glen T, how do we know the difference between the early Polar Pro and the newer one? I sure as heck don't want to have to go through the take it off, then put it back on every time. I especially saw a lot of complaints on that.
PolarPro only ship the new ones now. I bought direct through them from their web site. The new ones are made from aluminium and have multi coated glass.
Their customer support is outstanding from my experience.
PolarPro | DJI Mavic Filters

Reactions: MrMavic
I can also state the Polar Pro customer service has been great. Thanks for the great support Jeff, Scott, and Dan.

Reactions: MrMavic
I agree that Polar Pro has outstanding customer service. I did buy filters for my Phantom 3A from them, and they went out of their way to make me happy. I'll go on their website and see if I can get the 2 I need in a package there.

I went back on Amazon and it looks like they're still selling the old style ones that people are complaining about, and also the new Cinema ones.

Screen Shot 2017-03-20 at 7.06.35 PM.png

Last edited:
I went back on Amazon and it looks like they're still selling the old style ones that people are complaining about, and also the new Cinema ones.

View attachment 8989

I believe those are different types of filters, not "old" and "new".

The Cinema filters are combined ND and CP filters. The ND ones are just ND.

I believe those are different types of filters, not "old" and "new".

The Cinema filters are combined ND and CP filters. The ND ones are just ND.
OK, thanks for that. I have an email into Polar Pro and they're supposed to contact me tomorrow to go over my filter needs.

OK, thanks for that. I have an email into Polar Pro and they're supposed to contact me tomorrow to go over my filter needs.
Yup mstevens is correct. PolarPro only sell the current versions that can remain on the gimbal during start up. There may however be 3rd party sellers still selling the early sets. That's another reason to buy direct from PolarPro. Using their website guarantees you are dealing with them and no one else.

I just bought this set of filters . Gotta tell you these filters are great. They go on and off smooth no need to put any force they are super light and does not overload gimbal. I dont have a problem putting them on before turning on mavic. I was going to buy polar pro vivid collection but after doing research i went for this ones . I highly recommend them
Cant beat the price .
02a93746653d19b2686a0159a295a396.jpg

Low price means no multi coating (MC). No MC means sun glare :-(
On a regular camera you sometimes can get away with the sun hood, but Mavic camera is not designed to accept any type of hood.

What is the one You use the most nd16 vs nd32 on sunny day
I live in south france.
Thank you

I went with freewell. They are lighter, multi layer & cheaper (free shipping)

I got an ND1000 as extra to experiment with it on time-lapse and else... Will see if it's any help or a stupid purchase lol...

Last edited:
Reactions: debric france
On a regular camera you sometimes can get away with the sun hood, but Mavic camera is not designed to accept any type of hood.
I have the polarpro vivid collection for my p4 and depending on the direction of the sun i get some glare.

Amazon sells a sun hood for $11.00 and free shipping. It fits very nicely on my Mavic.
The filters that Bigstalks got aren't really cheap filters, they seem to be priced the same as PolarPro.

Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 9.15.49 AM.png

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore