DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic first flight ... !!!

m0j0

Reactions
Alright so I received my Mavic from Koozam last week. I have been incredibly preoccupied with life events that have prevented me from flying it so... You know things like work.. LOL the thing that pays for the toys.. Sigh! I digress. Anyway I spent an hour last night updating the software on everything. Which is amazingly simple. Basically, you logon and click update.. Then you get a drink and wait for it to complete on it's own.. So last night I took out and launched it but really didn't fly anywhere I just wanted to get it in the air. Was amazed by how stable it was..but I didn't want to take any chances by going anywhere at night. I reluctantly landed it and put it away.

Compared to P3p

Today, I launched it and will say a few things in comparison to my Phantom 3's... Holy Crap this thing is fast in Sports Mode. It truly scared me a little... Second, I flew it on a route I have flown my P3p and noticed something you all will find out soon enough. Occusync or whatever they call it is far less finicky than the system on the Phantoms.. I went out on a flight at about 150 feet and never lost signal or video. The P3 can fly the route but I really have to cognizant of aiming the TX. I did none of that and had no problems. The video downlink was very very crisp and didn't flicker. I did have a blip two times where it hesitated for a brief second but it was hardly noticeable. Third, The size of this thing opened fully is not much smaller then the P3... but collapsed this thing is about the size of childs shoe. Fourth, Best of all this thing is solid as a rock in the air. P3 is amazing this thing in hover is like it is sitting on a table. It does not move. Lastly, not a single crack on the shell :) I have a feeling that if you have a crack it will be because you ran it into a wall ... The build quality on this is fantastic.

Nice to hear good things about the Mavic! Mine arrives today. I admit, I'm a little nervous about the issues I've been hearing. I think the last firmware update took care of most of the problems. I hope they release another firmware update soon.

Well it is warrantied.. So if you have a catastrophic error send it back. Three flights in... I am amazed at the flight stability and video downlink. The only negative observation I have so far is the TX battery. I don't like flying with a TX under 50% charge. After updating last night and flying three batteries today it was at 57%. That is to be expected I guess because of the battery size. My P3 TX goes for weeks without needing a charge. I will also say I don't use the telemetry on the TX at all. Maybe it's just instinctive because I have been flying Phantoms but I haven't used it all. I'm not sure when I would need it.

OK, HAHA!, I know you did not mean 150 feet!, so was it 1150, or 11,500?
LOL... I should have been more clear.

I meant the flight was about 150 feet AGL.. above an area with trees... telephone lines etc.. I usually fly at about 250 AGL with the P3 because the signals gets a little wonky. I flew lower and maintained a good signal the entire time. Flew out about 3000 feet.

Reactions: F6Rider
The only negative observation I have so far is the TX battery. I don't like flying with a TX under 50% charge. After updating last night and flying three batteries today it was at 57%. That is to be expected I guess because of the battery size..

I understand you can plug in a part used battery to boost the TX which would help it out if not going up again immediately - and you have at least one spare battery.

I understand you can plug in a part used battery to boost the TX which would help it out if not going up again immediately - and you have at least one spare battery.
I am thinking a party used battery plus the the usb adapter would be kind of big for your pocket. I have a 37 watt power bank that is slim and sized just right for a back pocket, hoping it will keep the transmitter 'topped' off during repeated flights.

Well I think it was a function of the updating. I have been getting more flights on subsequent charges. I guess I really didn't realize how long the updates took.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute