DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MAVIC FLY AWAY AND DJI CASE ANALYSES

FERNANDO

Reactions
Application used on mobile device: DJI GO 4 (updated on 03/16/2017)

Description of the operation when Mavic flew away: At the end of the flight, I hovered Mavic Pro and started descending to 100 meters. During the process of descending, when the Mavic pro was 103 meters height, it suddenly lost signal, the screen got black and the remote controller showed the message "connecting...".
The "return to home" failed and the Mavic Pro never came back. After having waited for 10 minutes for the drone to return home, I decided to go to the site of the incident but I did not find the Mavic Pro.

upload_2017-4-15_15-51-18.png

DJI’S FIRST ANALYSES
1. The aircraft was piloted under P-GPS mode, and responded to the pilot’s control well; home point: -15.7810764 -47.8605893;
2. T=12-18, h=103m, d=2080m, flight record ended; disconnected point: -15.7977300 -47.8695807
3. RTH altitude was 30m; According to google earth, aircraft would crash into a building between home point and disconnected point during RTH process;
upload_2017-4-15_15-54-18.png
According to the analysis, the incident was not caused by any product malfunction factors. As such, we could not provide warranty service.

MY OBJECTION
the claim that the MAVIC PRO would have crashed into a building because the RTH altitude was 30 m cannot prevail.
According to MAVIC PRO user manual, page 16, after entering RTH mode, MAVIC PRO will ascend to the pre-set RTH altitude only if its current altitude is lower than the pre-set altitude. However, if the current altitude is higher than the pre-set altitude, MAVIC PRO will keep the current altitude and return home. It will not descend to the pre-set altitude.
It´s undisputed, then, that the aircraft was high enough to properly return home without crashing into the 10 floor building you referred to, which is no more than 30m height.
upload_2017-4-15_15-53-40.png
In any case, even if the RTH altitude was 30m, we cannot forget that the obstacle avoidance feature would prevent the aircraft to crash into the building. This feature makes the aircraft ascend to avoid the obstacles it detects (MAVIC PRO user manual, page 16 and 17).
upload_2017-4-15_15-54-55.png

upload_2017-4-15_15-55-21.png

DJI'S SECOND ANALYSES
2. The aircraft returned back home at relative height 103m, because it was higher than the RTH altitude.
3. The building was of pure color and about 10 floor not 9 from the picture offered. It is stated clearly on the
manual that the aircraft could not avoid such kind of obstacles. Please refer to the manual:

MY OBJECTION

DJI stated categorically that “the aircraft returned back home at relative height 103m,” but, since “the
building was of pure color and about 10 floor… the aircraft could not avoid such kind of obstacles.” In other
words, the aircraft returned home but crashed into a building on the way back home because it was of pure
color. Respectfully, there is no evidence that the aircraft crashed into a building during the RTH procedure.
If you may, DJI can google the question to find out that the average height of a 10 floor building is 30 m
(3 meters for each floor).
The analyses of the evidences lead to the conclusion that it would be impossible for the MAVIC PRO to crash into a 10 floor building, due to the fact that the building have a maximum height of 30 meters and MAVIC PRO “returned back home at relative height 103m”. If MAVIC PRO “returned back home at relative height 103m,” how could it crash into a 30 meter height building?
upload_2017-4-15_15-58-22.png

DJI'S THIRD ANALYSES

If we understand it correctly, you want another analysts to further look into your case, right? Actually
we have especially contacted head of the data analysis team for this case. Please refer to below:

Right before the incident, the pilot pulled throttle downward to fly aircraft from 182m in altitude to 103m in altitude before it lost connection, which was inappropriate.

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Please, help me solve this issue. I really didn't understand DJI's conclusion...

Note that I accidentally set my RTH height quite low the other day by accident while setting up a POI flight. No accident but now I have to go figure out how I made the error.

Reactions: romarnv
Can't see on maps the elevation of the ground inland from the waters edge. Your altitude of 103m will be above take off point at waters edge. You were 2km inland when lost signal, ground may have been significantly higher there. Building can block line of site easily if ground slopes up from water to interrupt signal. Mavic will base its altitude and RTH height from take off altitude. 100m above water level may only have been 30m above ground at that point, and thus quite possible to hit a building.

I think that DJI's longwinded way of saying youre not covered and your loss is due to user error....

Your lift-off point was 3314 Feet elevation MSL (1010 meters ground level). Your last known coordinate was 3626 Feet elevation MSL (1074 meters ground level). That building appears to be about 3650 feet in elevation MSL (1112 meters). 1112 - 1010 = 102 meters. This is all gleaned from Google Earth, which is not precise. I think you barely would have cleared that building in a RTH scenario, and given what happened I'm guessing you hit the building. That's why you lost signal.. you were behind the building.

Um... those are federal government buildings.

What made you think it was a good idea to fly there in the first place?

The US Constitution, namely the 1st Amendment.

But setting aside the US Constitution.... the OP was not flying around the buildings. They just happen to be on the return path.

The US Constitution, namely the 1st Amendment.

But setting aside the US Constitution.... the OP was not flying around the buildings. They just happen to be on the return path.

The US Constitution applies in Brazil, now?

That entire area is government owned, and is (apparently) home to various government bodies including armed forces and the senate.

Not saying it's against the law to fly over it, but it's still stupid to do it without first asking (and obviously OP didn't, hence flying from a tiny park 2km away).

Last edited:
how do I do that?
Please upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here. You'll find instructions for locating your TXT flight log at that link.

RTH height is above takeoff point. You failed to remember that the ground is not flat, and at that location is higher than where you started from.

DJI is perfectly correct, the numbers check out.

Reactions: AyeYo
Your lift-off point was 3314 Feet elevation MSL (1010 meters ground level). Your last known coordinate was 3626 Feet elevation MSL (1074 meters ground level). That building appears to be about 3650 feet in elevation MSL (1112 meters). 1112 - 1010 = 102 meters. This is all gleaned from Google Earth, which is not precise. I think you barely would have cleared that building in a RTH scenario, and given what happened I'm guessing you hit the building. That's why you lost signal.. you were behind the building.

Thank you for your support
The question about crashing or not into a building is overcome. I just wrote the information on my post so you could see how DJI changed from the first to the last analyses.
the last one is the one that matters:

"Right before the incident, the pilot pulled throttle downward to fly aircraft from 182m in altitude to 103m in altitude before it lost connection, which was inappropriate."

What does DJI mean by that?

DJI suggest you reduced altitude and brought your Mavic behind the building yourself through explicit stick commands. Again without the logs we can't either confirm nor refute it - post them.

Last edited:
You know... I updated my DJI Go app the other day. After every update I have to reset my RTH height. I set it 55 meters but after launching the screen said RTH height 50m.

Doesn't Dji state in the manual to always fly VLOS ? I'm surprised they cover any crash outside of line of sight .

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett