DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Fly Away this evening. Shes Gone!

Mavic Found!
After taking a hint from Alan I messed around with Google Maps. It showed a slightly different path that what Healthy Drone showed. I moved my search about 60 yards to the west of where dji Go and Healthy Drones showed it. BINGO. First thing I find is the battery pack on the ground. The case is badly bashed from impact but it still had a good charge and actually powered on and got 3 leds.
I was kinda surprised. After another 15 minutes of search I spotted the Mavic way up in the fork of a tree. I'll skip the story of how I got it down. Not pretty. But anyway was very interesting to examine the craft.

Video! The SD card would not play the video back in my computer. (said error on the file for that flight only.) However was able to play it back in the cache on the Ipad!
Findings. Flight looked completely normal, I didn't hit anything not even close. The Mavic actually appeared to have flown 60 yards or so further down range then where I found it. Just like the data showed, it just suddenly quit. Video just blanked out.

Damage. I'm quite sure the Mavic traveled backward after loosing signal flipped inverted in flight and some point and impacted the tree inverted. All four props were damaged on their trailing edges. (not leading edges) and it was very clear that they were damaged not from hitting the tree but from a negative G load forcing the blandes into the booms. (booms are scared and the scars match the props exactly. Also the camera appears to be undamaged but pulled 3 of the four mounts at the base. The battery case is mangled from being ejected and hitting the ground. I think it was just ripped straight out. Lots of G force.

I swapped the props, put a different battery in it and it connected just fine. I ran the motors at idle, (no problem) and had GPS. I didn't dare fly it. Getting a camera video but gimbal of course was hanging loose put doesn't appear to be working anyway. I've got a help ticket in with DJI. Will send it in and will see what happens. In my mind there is not doubt there is a defect. RTH certainly failed in all respects. Thanks for all your help and suggestions. Never would have found it without you. Will let you all know what DJI says and does.

Mike

Great news that you found it. Probably you know this already but I'd be extremely wary of a LiPo battery that's been through this sort of trauma so I'd want a replacement even if it's technically still working

Any chance the battery was not fully seated? Perhaps it worked itself loose inflight.
This is something I personally have taken to checking since when I first got the mavic before even flying it I noticed that one side can click in and the battery can look fully seated even though the other side hasn't clicked and locked in.

Reactions: Kingkong
This is something I personally have taken to checking since when I first got the mavic before even flying it I noticed that one side can click in and the battery can look fully seated even though the other side hasn't clicked and locked in.
This is news to me
I.ll keep an eye out.
Almost makes me want to but a rubber band on it as backup!

I read HFMANs post and thought....well, could that be possible? So I experimented with it a little. It took a lot of doing but I finally got it on in such a way that it appeared solid and connected but I COULD pull it loose from the aft portion of the pack. I was able to do that one time, cut could not duplicate it a second time. I think it is a stretch but completely possible. I'll see what DJI says after they look at it, but it isn't impossible for that to happen.

Last edited:
did we ever get the flight log?

ive seen a battery only held with 1 clip as one did not seat in its lock slot, sports mode would force it to eject.. so always check its seated and some fly with a thick rubber band around but could melt if too much heat from the cooler happens.. so my thought is that could be it, also if the battery was below 17c or cells uncalibrated could cause a power drain and battery shut down... now you say you found the battey but it had power, that tells me it was shut down before the mavic crashed as it would have stayed on after eject or crash until it got to 8% and shut down.. corect me if im wrong.. just looking at what i have seen.
Try it, turn the mavic on and then unclip the battery, it will stay on... so you have a cell drain shutdown in my eyes, batt too cold or a bad cell problem

Reactions: cmoney1976
Here is what happened.

About the 6th flight of the day. Great weather. Was at 347 feet above takeoff point getting good everything. Was in sport mode. Getting a beautiful picture on my I-pad Mini. I was just over 2000 feet away in my rural neighborhood when I get an event message that says adjust antenna to avoid signal blockage. At almost exactly the same time the screen goes blank and the RC says LOSS of Signal. I checked my antenna position (just fine) and quickly changed my position. I waited a bit and touched return to home. Nothing, it just said Signal Lost.

I walked over to the position where it last reported. Nothing. Went back out after dark with a high powered light and GPS but nothing to be found. It is a wooded area. Will try again in the morning. I hoped that when I got home it would be setting there waiting for me but no such luck.

Do you guys think it is really there or did it fly off? It reported its last position and altitude of 347 feet. I had a good picture right until the end. Was way above the terrain.

Healthy Drone showed no problems other than a message that said Battery Overcurrent during discharge. I was running wide open when that happened so throttle back an it went out. This happened about 30 seconds before it was lost. I had lots of battery, only in the air about 3 minutes on full everything.

Any suggestions for finding it are appreciated.:(
I had that same Battery Overcurrent during discharge message while flying about the same height and full out 40+mph. Scared me and I turned around and flew back slowly. Very interested to follow this thread and find out what happened. Good Luck.

Any of neighbours into high powered radio gear?

What were the wind conditions?

IAC, you were well clear of the ground and I assume there are no new towers there. Too high up for a shotgun to get it. If it crashed, you know where. If it ran on ... hard to estimate as you had 5 minutes in and how much charge at takeoff?

View attachment 8145

Guys, If someone can give me step by step instructions on how to upload the logs text logs I will. Not very good with computers. My I-pad has no memory left and no I-tunes. I think you need I tunes to upload on IOS?? I was able to download the video from the flight clearly showing where it went blank. Will try to put it into a downloadable link for you all and post it in this thread.

Reactions: cmoney1976
Digata- Interesting. I understand what you are saying. If the battery was on when it was ejected it would have certainly had no power when I found it. And to make it clear, I found the battery upright on the ground with a damaged case. When I switched it to on I had plenty of power. (the exact amount it had when it failed) So....sounds like I lost power in spite of the battery being good and attached. Looking closely at the Mavic I can see where the plastic has been stressed around the right side battery hold down point. I'm thinking it was ripped out by G force and did not fall out.

Guys, If someone can give me step by step instructions on how to upload the logs text logs I will. Not very good with computers. My I-pad has no memory left and no I-tunes. I think you need I tunes to upload on IOS?? I was able to download the video from the flight clearly showing where it went blank. Will try to put it into a downloadable link for you all and post it in this thread.
You'll need to hook your ipad into *real computer* (e.g. desktop or laptop with keyboard) with itunes installed. You'll need a cable to do this. Once you do this, you'll be able to access the flight log data.

Answering other questions, I don't know of neighbors with high power radio equipment. Wind were 8-15 on the surface. Warm temps. Battery looks normal on Healthy Drones.

You'll need to hook your ipad into *real computer* (e.g. desktop or laptop with keyboard) with itunes installed. You'll need a cable to do this. Once you do this, you'll be able to access the flight log data.
Maybe I'm missing something but @Capt Drone has already retrieved the .txt file as is evidenced by these posts

Mavic Fly Away this evening. Shes Gone!.
Mavic Fly Away this evening. Shes Gone!

The only way for him to have the HealthyDrones link of that flight is for him to have the .txt and submit it to HD.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom