DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic flying slow??

Fattybolatty

Reactions
Hi,i am having an issue with the mavic randomly flying very slowly!
Wind isnt the issue as today there is no wind at all. Sometimes when i push the stick all the way forward the mavic tootles along at 10-12 kmph. If i turn the mavic around it travels 20+ kmph? Anyone else having this issue?

It has to be the wind. It doesn't take much

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
Deffo not wind as i said perfect conditions today plus i flew in the same direction as before and it went 20+kmph. I have just done another cold imu and took it for a fly around my house and it didn't do it at all this time? very strange.

Also, some of us have been experiencing an issue with the front OA sensors recognizing the sun as an obstacle when flying directly towards it. This occurrence would lead you to believe that you're flying slow. Check your display and see if the OA warning is on when this "slow flying" occurs.

Also, some of us have been experiencing an issue with the front OA sensors recognizing the sun as an obstacle when flying directly towards it. This occurrence would lead you to believe that you're flying slow. Check your display and see if the OA warning is on when this "slow flying" occurs.
Hi,its not that, i have that issues with my p4 when flying into low sun it just stops dead and the oa sensors go crazy on the screen,I had none of this when i flew this morning.

You have to remember the wind speed at altitude can be very different than that of the wind speed on the ground

Hi i totally understand what your saying but wind was not the factor at the time,after it flew slowly i turned 180 and flew in the opposite direction for a few seconds and the mavic flew at normal speed. I then turned back to the direction i was going having not altered height at all then it flew at the correct speed again!
Since my issues with this problem yesterday afternoon and this morning i did a imu recalibration and have flown it three times this afternoon at two locations and it has not done it since and the wind has picked up a little since this morning.

I've had this issue as well I flew out about a mile then I was flying back and at around 2000 feet out at an altitude of 250 or so. I was flying at around 20-25 Mph then for 30 sec or so it was only doing 1 Mph then back to 20. No wind and not in tripod mode.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MavicPilots mobile app

Flown again this morning for about 15mins,no problems again. Fingers crossed it was just the imu that for some reason needed recalibration again.

I have this issue that happens once in awhile too.. its NOT wind. Its like you are full forward on the throttle stick and its just creeping along. Rotating and up and down all work just fine even going backwards is ok. Just forwards seems to be my issue.

It happens an all altitudes and the only think that seems to fix it for me it one of two things. Switch it to sport mode, or tilt the camera up then down or vice visa. Hope that helps.

Maybe you can try to do a controller stick calibration.

Wind Speed is usually taken about 15 feet off the ground or around. Major difference if your airborn. Also these drones are playing guessing games with actual speed. So + or - what is displayed. If your not in sport mode then yes it'll be reduced. IMU and Controller could be a factor as well but I seriously doubt it would slow you down very much.

I have a weather station outside my house that I broadcast. Trust me it can change quickly. Also same goes for temp 39 degrees outside is probably 33 at 400 ft. Ground radiates heat. You'd be surprised too if flying in between a building or over a different surface how much the wind speed can change or temperature etc. Let's not forget windchill. A Mavic at 30 mph in 39 degree weather at 400 feet is close to freezing if not. The movement generates its own windchill around the aircraft. Friction should prevent Ice build up but only to a certain extent. Major variables. I'd look as close as you can at the weather.

Since I like weather as much as my drone. The apps I use are Weather Underground and Storm by Weather Underground. Weather Underground is the largest network and is owned by the Weather Channel. You'll tap into more stations and you'll always be able to find one close to you. It is more accurate than a general forecast.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skyler
Might be a false OA trigger? Try switching OA off the next time it happens and see if the problem disappears. It sounds like OA may be sensing or perhaps more accurately "think" it's sensing an object several meters away and preventing full forward flight speed. I've noticed on mine when OA is active that when it sees an object several meters ahead in it's path it will let me approach it, but only slowly.

Might be a false OA trigger? Try switching OA off the next time it happens and see if the problem disappears. It sounds like OA may be sensing or perhaps more accurately "think" it's sensing an object several meters away and preventing full forward flight speed. I've noticed on mine when OA is active that when it sees an object several meters ahead in it's path it will let me approach it, but only slowly.
I was having the same problem as the other pilot. Slow acceleration (though not nearly as tripod, but very noticeable to say the least). So, I took your advise and turned off the OA. VOILA !! it started taking off like a rocket as it should. The only thing that puzzles me now is, Is it suppose to have that slow/dragging acceleration whenever the OA is on? (I don't think I ever turned it off before and it flew fine. hmmm)

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S