DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic focus question

finalfantasyfans

Reactions
I had a hard time doing Tap-to-Focus at night. I wonder if I can set my focus at 10-12m(or whatever hyperfocal distance of Mavic) during daytime and never touch the screen to focus again. Does Mavic reset focus on every power cycle? If not, I guess we can simply set the focus to hyperfocal distance and leave it as is. I just have my Mavic for a week and it is too cold to try it now so I hope someone can answer my question.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I don't think the Mavic has a way to set focus other than tap-to-focus, this has been one complaint about the Mavic. Maybe they will provide this in a future firmware update.

OK, First with the release of the firmware version 01.03.0000 DJI added a focus before recording option. So that when presses the button to record a video the Mavic focuses upon whatever is in the green rectangle seen on screen.
Second , one may tap to focus on a distant point on the horizon when up in the air, but remember that the Mavic will refocus once the Record or Picture button is pressed.
Third , There is a button on the bottom of the handheld remote controller on the left side while holding it with the antenna away from you that is known as the C1 button . Pressing this button by default causes the Mavic to focus at the point within the Green rectangle on screen.

Reactions: jointeffort
OK, First with the release of the firmware version 01.03.0000 DJI added a focus before recording option. So that when presses the button to record a video the Mavic focuses upon whatever is in the green rectangle seen on screen.
Second , one may tap to focus on a distant point on the horizon when up in the air, but remember that the Mavic will refocus once the Record or Picture button is pressed.
Third , There is a button on the bottom of the handheld remote controller on the left side while holding it with the antenna away from you that is known as the C1 button . Pressing this button by default causes the Mavic to focus at the point within the Green rectangle on screen.
I did hear about the "auto-focus" addition but I just got my Mavic back from repair so have not tested that, I meant there is no way to "manually" set the focus to s specific distance.

I agree on the other points although you can change the C1 and C2 buttons as far as what they do in the settings so if you are not using the defaults it may not be setup that way.

I don't think the Mavic has a way to set focus other than tap-to-focus, this has been one complaint about the Mavic. Maybe they will provide this in a future firmware update.

I'm the settings you can turn on manual focus. Then you tap the icon on the main screen to cycle between AF/MF. In MF there is a slider with a range from close to far. Makes a huge difference when it's dark out and AF isn't working properly.

Last edited:
I'm the settings you can turn on manual focus. Then you tap the icon on the main screen to cycle between af/mf. In mf there is a slider with a range from close to far. Makes a huge difference when it's dark out at af isn't working properly.
Interesting, will look into that now that I have mine back from repair. It is unfortunate that they did not document these things better, or maybe I missed it. I did read most of the documentation that they sent with the Mavic, have not looked online for more detailed docs.

Reactions: SeaFox
AF is the problem when it can't obtain enough contrast due to low light. And C-AF is even worse because I don't want my drone doing focus hunting while filming. Phantom doesn't do AF and it simply set the focus at hyperfocal distance so everything is in focus beyond that. I just wonder why Dji can't simply set Mavic focus to hyperfocal distance by default.
I tried tonight and the gimbal will automatically reset the focus during initialization even if it is in MF mode. I am not sure what distance it reset to. It would be great if they add distance scale in the MF focus slider.

I'm the settings you can turn on manual focus. Then you tap the icon on the main screen to cycle between AF/MF. In MF there is a slider with a range from close to far. Makes a huge difference when it's dark out and AF isn't working properly.

Turn peaking on you'll see what's in focus then.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7