Mavic front vision warning during flight 300 feet up in sun

Discussion in 'Mavic Pro Help' started by jamgabbi, Nov 18, 2016.

1. jamgabbi

jamgabbi Well-Known Member

Today I was flying around 300 feet up over an open reservoir open space in bright sun. And I got the Forward vision sensor Waring a couple of times.

I’m pretty sure the message was “ cannot move forward due to obstacle avoidance” or some vision sensor warning. The Mavic would not move for a moment until i rotated and the all was good.
    could it be the super bright sun ?
    I hope I am explaining it correctly
    jimmy

2. Anthony

Anthony Well-Known Member

This has been reported before that a bright sun can trigger the collision sensors.

3. The Editor

The Editor Well-Known Member

Yes, it's a bug (or a feature depending on how you look at it). Quite a few users have reported this now and it has always been in very bright conditions with the sun either directly at the aircraft or obliquely accross one of the front obstacle sensing cameras.
    Clearly the algorithms are flawed.
    No doubt it will be addressed in the next incarnation of firmware. :)

4. jamgabbi

jamgabbi Well-Known Member

Hey guys thanks so much really
    great forum :)

5. tonytafarella

tonytafarella Active Member

I got the same thing yesterday flying around at dusk...

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

6. stealle

stealle Well-Known Member

Was about to open a new thread before I found this. Same thing here using the latest firmware. I was up about 350 and flying into the sun when I could no longer move forward. Thing is tho... this was like afternoon when the sun was still pretty high in the sky; not like flying directly into the sun an hour or two before sunset. I hope they fix this soon. Has anyone contacted tech support about this?

7. OCsurfer411

OCsurfer411 Member

Yep, observed by me and a few other Mavic owners at the park I fly at.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

8. Jim Hanson

Jim Hanson New Member

20161204_174722.jpg 20161204_172852.jpg Same problem I almost lost my new Mavic Pro trying to do a return to home. Mavic climbed to 400' before I could disable return to home. After a few hours of brain storming I came up with a solution Sun shades for the obstacle avoidance cameras see photos. Designed them with Solid works and printed them with my 3Dprinter. Tried them this morning and they work also do not interfere with the cameras. If anyone has a 3d printer I will send the STL file. You have to mirror it with the 3D printer app to make the opposite side. I sanded them a little and sprayed them with flat black paint.

9. OCsurfer411

OCsurfer411 Member

Interesting. So you say they don't interrupt forward object avoidance. Can you explain how that is so, as it appears from the picture that these completely obstruct the forward sensors.

I'm not being critical, just trying to understand more about what you designed, because it's VERY exciting.

10. mcsenerd

mcsenerd Active Member

They don't look like they completely obstruct the sensors...just looks like they provide some shade to the sensors in the manner that a lens hood would for a camera lens. I'm interested in hearing some more results as to whether this takes complete care of the issue or not.

11. Jim Hanson

Jim Hanson New Member

They do work and do not block the Object avoidance Camera see attached photo. I tested them yesterday and today with no problems. The sun no longer confuses the cameras and obstacle avoidance works great. If you have a 3d printer I will post the STL file. or I will mail a pair ready to install for $!2.00 this includes shipping and handling. PayPal or check PayPal account tog4rc@pacbell.net 20161205_120549.jpg

12. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

I am pretty certain it obscures some of the sensors' field of view based on the published angles.

13. Jim Hanson

Jim Hanson New Member

Kilrah
    I had no problems with obstacle avoidance using the sun shades. If they were in the cameras field of view would the camera not detect it as an object to avoid. If you look closely you will see the inside edges are beveled. If you want to test the sun shades I will send you a pair at no cost. Just email me your address. just use the one I posted as my Paypal account and I will mail you a pair to test.