DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic gimbal issue; you all need to read!

I think when manual landing at just 0.50-0.40cm over the ground it some times stops descending and asks you to confirm if you really want to land. You then have three options
A) do nothing and it will hover
B) slide on the app to land and it will land
C) keep pulling down the left stick and it will land

I always try manual landing (C option) and I get a feeling that for those last 0.50 cm landing was automated and I had no control over it .

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

View attachment 790 View attachment 791 Yesterday I read this thread and was then able to tell someone on the Facebook Mavic Pro group how to fix their gimbal problem. They had reached the point of thinking it will need to be returned for repair costing over 400 euro.
So thanks! This is very helpful stuff.
I would like to include a couple sketches I did to help anyone who's still confused.

The orange coloured parts are the clips that hold the Gimbal in place. There are 3. Two at the front and one behind the gimbal. All of these clips must be above/over the gimbal parts.

I hope this is helpful, it'll be nice if DJI release some nice diagrams to explain this issue more clearly.

Totally agree with you that there needs to be clearer pictures and succinct diagrams as the whole process for how the gimbal and camera connect is very confusing to me and being so small it is difficult to tell if all is good or not

I'm having this same issues right now and I can't seem to get the gimbal back in place right I still have the tab there and slide it under but it's not moving and still says gimbal obstructed any help rather not send it back

Hello, I'm marc, thanks to this forum and your thread i managed to find some answers...
Had a little flight issue 3 seconds after take off at 1.20 meters height, stopped functioning and simply crash straight to the ground. anyway, now the Gimbal back hook on my mavic pro is actually broken, and having the "Grimbal overload error" message.
here's a picture. Would you have an idea as where i can find this back hook piece ?
Thanks
Nice day
Hey mark i had the same issue.

did you manage to come right with a repair or fix ?

Never, EVER, use auto landing or auto take off!
You should always always have full control of the aircraft where you are the boss!
The auto takeoff and landing is a consumer crap feature that shouldn't be there. It's like auto focus and auto settings on professional cameras, something one never should use!
If something happens during auto takeoff and landing, you are screwed.
If using RTH, make sure you disengage before landing and land manually.
I have an Inspire and I never auto takeoff or land with it!
Really? Professional cameras shouldn't have autofocus? Autofocus is absolutely essential in pro photography, and is far more accurate than manual focus.

I don't see anything wrong with Auto takeoff and land, it has worked well for me.

Hello guys, My first post here, nice to meet you all! I have a brand new Mavic and jello effect. I really don't have the time to return it right now as I need it for job. However, I see that a lot of people have had this issue, and DJI seems to fix it on regular basis. Can't they just be honest about this and say what is the matter?

I have a theory, but I need a bit more investigation. Rubber either gets too extended and gimbal eventually ends up resting on L profile bracket, or it gets too rigid and stops absorbing properly. A lot of gimbals have scratch marks as if rubber is too tight during initialization, and upper part of the gimbal hits the bracket. Come on DJI, come clean in regards to this one.

Some people report that weight of ND filters help, and that would make sense, as the rubber bands would stretch just a tad further.

This can be seen in this video at 1.12

Last edited:
None of that. It is definitely weight/balance issue. I added a UV filter weights about 1 gram and it works like a charm now. Really frustrating.

Last edited:
So, I got my Mavic weeks ago.... flew it with no issues... the other day landing on a pathway it slid to the left and clipped a curb... the Mavic dropped the last about 10" inches somewhat hard.

At first glance the prop didn't even have a scuff really, and it took right back off.

But immediately, I noticed Jello-ing in the video... BAD!

So I freaked and started an RMA.

Then my girlfriend and I were looking at it and realized the gimbal base had slid over the corner of the Mavic? I pushed a little and "pop" it popped right back into place! All good? Again, flew it and still the video is jello-ing?

No damage, zero, and I have this issue....

I even tried to change props... nada.

Then looking at it again with my GF, she points out that the gimbal is sitting against this metal tab... and the back of the gimbal is firmly against the Mavic and the front if springy.

So I pulled the base of the gimbal back out like I found it, and realized the gimbal was supposed to be on top of this limiting tab... slid it back on top of the tab, slid the corner of the gimbal back under and viola, it's perfect!

Lesson - the "auto landing" kind of sucks. A little wind and it can move. Be way clear of anything two feet around just in case.

Also, the gimbal is different... and can slide below the tab that is designed to limit this exact behavior.

I hope this helps someone else. I keep seeing all these "jello" complaints, and I'm 99% sure it's usually caused by the gimbal having direct contact with the bird, or a major vibration in the blades etc.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Yeah, I had just posted about that when I saw the post on DJI about "Jello". I put the bar at the bottom in the slot and the other two tabs in the front where they went and all is well. No mo' jello shots! Just got my DJI Propeller Guards and attached them. No hinderence whatsoever.

The answer MUST be YES. However since the bubble cover / gimbal -camera protector is plastic it imparts glare and reflection in certain lighting and is not optically clear. Thus the resulting video and or pictures would not be without artificially induced artifacts. For sport mode and spirited flying where one is out for the pure enjoyment of flying then to leave the bubble on would be extra protection.
Does he bubble NOT block the air intake?

Does he bubble NOT block the air intake?

The bubble impedes airflow into the air intake. Look at the area of the intake. If you really need that bubble on there you could drill some holes into the side of the bubble. 6mm, 3 on each side would probably do it. Try not to shatter the plastic: start with 1 or 2mm pilot holes and work your way up.

I disagree. The dome has a big slot cut into it already, no need to drill more holes. It can pull in cold outside air

Disagree all you like. If the inlet area is x then the bubble has to provide at least x area as well in holes or the air will be restricted (ie: go for a run while breathing through a straw). Allowing for the "grill" in there, I'd guesstimate that the holes in the bubble are inadequate by 80%. Why I suggest adding more holes.

Better - no bubble at all.

In the northern hemisphere it is warming up a lot this time of year. The air is not cold enough.

Disagree all you like. If the inlet area is x then the bubble has to provide at least x area as well in holes or the air will be restricted (ie: go for a run while breathing through a straw). Allowing for the "grill" in there, I'd guesstimate that the holes in the bubble are inadequate by 80%. Why I suggest adding more holes.

Better - no bubble at all.

In the northern hemisphere it is warming up a lot this time of year. The air is not cold enough.

I wonder why DJI engineers aren't as smart as you are? You should apply!

In the first announcement of the Mavic they clearly showed the Mavic racing through canyons with the Dome ON... its like Chevy telling you that you have to remove the hood off your car to keep it cool. The hood is just to protect the engine.

Lastly, I live in the hottest place in the USA. Phoenix. I have and do fly with the Dome on. No warnings or problems. Not to say it's not hot, it is, but it's hot without it too.

Drone Valley did a test, and it wasn't done properly. He didn't let it cool down to air temp between testing with and without.

I believe the slit in the dome is for air to get inside.

Reactions: MavPro75
I agree that DV's test did not allow enough rest time. OTOH, that dome does not have anywhere close to the open area of the inlet.

The slit in the dome is to hold the rubber protector on. Now a protector to prevent the dome from getting scratched may indeed say that it's to protect it from scratches so it can be used in flight. That seems to be DJI's intent.

The greatest long term reliability enemy of electronics is heat. I've been in Phoenix when airliners could not take off because the TO performance tables did not exceed 120°F - it was 121..122.

The manual of the MP, by the way, has an upper temperature limit of 104°F. Of course it will fly above there but the battery and electronics will take a beating - especially with the brutal sun load one gets from May - Oct in AZ. I'd at least put a foil skin on the battery.

Your drone - do with it as you please. I know I leave it off for cooling and better images.

Reactions: MavPro75

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys